Skoda Fabia TDI rebuild thread. 2260vk + more!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Figured with everyone doing rebuild threads I had better have a go at doing one myself. The engine work is still ongoing though, but hoping to get loads done over the next 4 weeks.

Quick background to my car. It is a Skoda Fabia 5 door hatchback, originally with pd100 ATD engine, but converted to PD130 ASZ spec in 2005, with 6 speed box, etc. Tuned to 220bhp initially, then with a bigger turbo ran at 260bhp (daily running less to be honest)

Anyway, last September whilst doing 110mph up Kesselchen on the Nurburgring my turbo let go in the most fashionable style - I never found the exhaust turbine wheel..... Right out the exhaust!

So, in order to ensure solid running in the future (and MORE power of course) I envisaged the following:
  • Nice turbo! Opted for 2260vk after much research
  • Mated to the ultimate tubular manifold
  • More porting out of the head
  • Special cam selected by TDIclub knowledgable member
  • Larger exhaust valves, from same member
  • Hi flow injector nozzles, beyond R783. sourced from... yup.... same one. Opted for somewhat unknown to me, Firad HF925
  • MAF delete tune
  • Replacement turbo intake pipe to avoid compression of oem pipe
  • Rosten rods for strength (although stock rods were fine when taken out)
  • Mocal 235mm oil cooler + sandwich plate take-off
And other general parephenalia as required. Car already has a big bore exhaust to 2.5" side exit with just one silencer to keep exhaust noise down at tickover and when cruising.

So far, the bottom end has just been cleaned up ready to accept the original pistons on the new rods, with new conrod shells. Leaving the crank in place due to relatively low miles and how good the oem conrod shells were when removed (regular oil changes and running right oil helps)

Cooler and sandwich plate ready for fitting. Sandwich plate already in, and fabricating a mount to vertically position the cooler where my SMIC used to be - well vented

Initial shots of the new manifold. Loving this!

As my car was the weekend just gone. Looking sorry for itself. Can't wait to feel the awesome stopping power of those brembos though! Love them so much!

Last edited:

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
Jason keep those updates coming.

have you had the turbo trial fitting to car?

Last edited:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Alcaid said:
Should propably add a LSD with that setup ;)
I only listed engine mods! Had a peloquin diff and spec stage 3+ clutch in for a good while now. That is also awesome! :cool:

Turbo is waiting on the manifold so it can have a dry run fit to be able to know how / where the boost pipework is going to run. :)

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
if u could list all of the 'i win the lottery and can get everything i want for my dream fabia' this would be it:D
Keep the pics coming please

sam_51

Veteran Member
TDI
115pd swap FOR 150pd
subscribed... have you ever thought about running a o2q gearbox as it has equil length drive shaft' im looking at them now?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Nope - sticking with 02M as it's had the diff installed already. Don't really notice the torque steer associated with unequal driveshafts. In terms of compression I am fitting an Elring 3 hole gasket, but no serious work to reduce compression is being undertaken - stock pistons.

Pic of my engine bay before it popped: Water/meth setup down low, also with NOS solenoid, and various colour coding / BMC CDA intake.

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
hmm i would like to know where you did souce those Firad nozzles.
and that manifold, looks tasty

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Loads done on the car today.....

Fitted new rear brakes.... (manifold and cam is on its way to me :D)

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
any knowledge about have the firads are acting during idle.. know a few that had problems with rough idle with R783's.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Grede said:
any knowledge about have the firads are acting during idle.. know a few that had problems with rough idle with R783's.
Are you sure the idle problems weren't due to tuning or incorrect injector install?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Farfromovin said:
Are you sure the idle problems weren't due to tuning or incorrect injector install?
Yeah, I was told this too. I am hoping to get my new tune before the time comes to start this car for the first time, or at least a tune setup for the HF925 nozzles. :)

( ;) to the person doing it if they are reading :D )

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Farfromovin said:
It may have been both, since running "big" PD nozzles here in denmark is a fairly new game

in one instance, the PD bodys where assembled with new tips and recalibrated by a bosch service center.
complet nozzles where overhauled and the put into engine, and then tuned..
Went fine for a couple of days and the is car was in idle it just smoked and with rough/harsh idle (rpm going from 300 rpm to 1000rpm up and down)

Nozzles was then removed and PD130 was installed again, retuned with no smoke, but low on power, but fine idle.
Car was using a PD160map.

I dont have any real insight in how big PD nozzles should be mapped, but hoping to find out, so i can get my next upgrade going on, since im stuck with the VB/PD150 nozzles combo, and i would love some 260bhp and 475-500nm action.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
PD nozzle recalibration is quite complex because they dont behave as a linear +30% (per example) increase.

Actually I only know one person who can do this in perfect OEM quality..... (Well maybe 2 now*g*)

Regards, Alex

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
please share info then.. when im going to do the upgrade it is essential that the car works, since it it daily driver and i drive about 2500-2700km pr month.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Well - more work done today. Will let the pics do the talking as much as possible! ;)

Welding in action!

New brakes & pads on the back! Last set cooked due to nurburgring being their last use (fronts OK luckily)

Offered up initially

Bracket fully welded up

Bracket after having paint applied

Meant to be showing down by fuel filter to where bracket attached

However, this one is better at doing that. Those two bolts poking out are they!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Cooler in final position! Loving it!

Rather fuzzy view of the sandwich plate take-off

New steering wheel to be fitted!

Pipework going to sandwich plate

Pipework going on to sandwich plate fittings

Pistons - original ones, but with the Rosten rods (I know there's only 3 there......)

Mongrel inside looking bad! Mould growing on many surfaces like belts & the steering wheel!

Cleaning up of the pistons! cleaned up VS carbon'd up one!

p11hlf

TDI
pd115 ajm in a caddy hopefully
great work, how many miles had the block done? did you keep the same rings? any honing done to the block?

p11hlf

TDI
pd115 ajm in a caddy hopefully
my pd115 has done 109,000. gonna be chucking it with a 130head and turbo into my mk1 caddy.

was thinking of replacing bearings and rings, light hone. any reason why you didnt?

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
Jason what did you use to clean up the pistons ?