Flipped V6 trans into Tdi Vanagon. Tim Shettle adapter plate

cyrus #1

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Tim Shettle also has adapter rings which go from the 130mm passat flanges to the 108mm axles. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to change out the flanges on the transaxle.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
My 01E was out of a 2.5 V6 - it had the 130mm flanges, and has been swapped to the 108mm for the more common axles. If you find the right flanges, they are a direct swap.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
01E flanges swap over, but 012's don't. The 012 has different size diffs for the various applications so you can't put gas flanges in a TDI trans - I've tried it. You can't swap diffs either as the crownwheel is also a different size - tried that too.

If you can get adapters I'd suggest that is the best route.

BTW, Windex do you still have the 130mm flanges?

Expo1122

TDI
AHU vanagon
Some clarification

Hey guys, reviving an old post ad I'm doing the same DVZ v6 trans swap into my AHU vanagon.

I just want to clarify which clutch setup to use as the flywheel I grabbed from the donor car is 8 bolt.

Am I right to say it's the flywheel, pressure plate and disc all from a 1.8t engine? Is this a dual mass setup ?

What about the starter? Will my v6 starter still work or do I use a 1.8t starter? The tooth position on the v6 flywheel vs 1.8 flywheel looks totally different.

Also looking at getting a slave cylinder and the pictures show it's some kind of goofy plastic snap connector for the line? What did you do ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

CakeD

TDI
ALH/AHU
Bump this
I want to know how many around here are actually running a flipped gearbox and what the feedback is.

What did you end up with for ground clearance to bellhousing? Looks like 7" or so with stock tires?

What sort of lifespan do you get on your CV joints?

Any solutions for the shift pattern? Ive read porsche boxster cable provide a solution

About to drop big dollars into a 091 box to make it reliable behind a TDi and feel this may be the more reliaable solution

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I agree it looks a better solution. Should be stronger and less spendy and have 5 gears that are geared right for a TDI.

You might also look on the Brick Yard forum in the UK as I recall some of Tim's customers were there. Do keep us in the loop if you decide to do it..

mudpack

TDI
B4 Passat sedan
New guy here, I would l like to revive this thread with a few questions. Its been a few years and i was wondering if we could get an update from the op as to how the van is working out with some miles on the conversion. I have a 1990 Multivan that i am contemplating doing the same. I already have a 1z engine, harness, ecu etc and a friend has a couple of A4 5 speed transmissions from v6s and i am also wondering where on the actual transmissions i would look to find the code, the bodys are gone.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
New guy here, I would l like to revive this thread with a few questions. Its been a few years and i was wondering if we could get an update from the op as to how the van is working out with some miles on the conversion. I have a 1990 Multivan that i am contemplating doing the same. I already have a 1z engine, harness, ecu etc and a friend has a couple of A4 5 speed transmissions from v6s and i am also wondering where on the actual transmissions i would look to find the code, the bodys are gone.

The OP has not been on this Forum since June 20, 2020 .............. Good luck!

cyrus #1

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
The code should be located on the top side of the bellhousing, pretty much right where it meets the engine. It took several treatments of de-greasing and wire brushing to expose the code on the one I have sitting in my garage.

Do some research on the gearing once you find the codes. Not sure how the V6's are geared but I wouldn't recommend gearing it too tall.

mudpack

TDI
B4 Passat sedan
Thanks cyrus,
That will make it easier to find, it always helps to know where to start looking, especially as the ones my friend has are still bolted to engines so not easy to look on the bottom and the bodies are long gone to the scrap yard so we can't look for the stickers. He has one connected to a 12v V6 and one on a 24v so they may be different codes. It seems that the gearing of the DVZ that the OP used gets the rpm where my 1z would be happy. I would not want to be going down the highway at 3000 rpm or so with a diesel in the van. I put over 60k on this engine in the B4 Passat 5 speed before i wrecked it and it was smooth and quiet at around 2200rpm. The OP was doing 2500 or so at highway speeds which i feel this engine would be happy with.