P1245

StlJimmy

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Lift needle sensor circuit short to ground. After clearing code it will almost immediately have a pending code, then within a few minutes max, the CEL and glow plug light will appear. Did some research and have begun troubleshooting. Read that this is usually an electrical problem. So far I have tried cleaning the connector, stripped the outer sheathing from the connector to the injector and found no breaks or anything. I tested resistance at the connector to the injector several times with my Fluke multimeter and it is always ends up around 15-16 ohms. The coil is supposed to test out 80-120 ohms? If the coil is indeed bad in the injector, would it cause this code? These #3 injectors are pretty pricey, would hate to replace, and it ends up being something else. I have not pulled the injector and checked it mechanically, nor have I traced the wire to the ECU.
Disconnected the harness to #3, now it shows P1247 Needle Lift Sensor Circ. Open/Short to B+

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you are getting 15-16 ohms and it calls for 80 to 120 ohms I would think there's a problem.
With the sensor unplugged did you measure from one of the pins to ground?
This would indicate an internal short.
The disconnect test does seem to confirm the wiring is OK
Before I spent that much money I would measure the wires from the ECU plug to the injector plug.
On mine the ECU pins are 101 and 109
Last test I would try is getting a 100 ohm resister from Radio Shack (are they still around?) and plugging it into the injector socket to get see if you get a different code s/a no signal.
Have you tried the user sales post forum here for a used one?
Last I would try to find one of these in a junk yard, I don't seem to recall a lot of messages about these, may not be a high failure sensor.

StlJimmy

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I haven't measured resistance to the ECU, but I did just check voltage from ECU to injector plug while running to see if it were bouncing around or shorting out. It was a consistent 12.89v. If I had a resistor I would give that a try. The problem has been here since around July, the reason I am finally getting to it is because I just got a stage 4 tune and VNT17. There are none at the local yards, but I found a whole car a couple of hours away that doesn't run for cheap. Hopefully I can get to it before someone else does. Thanks for the help, I will keep this thread updated to help future searchers!

StlJimmy

TDI
99.5 Jetta
It was the injector! I swapped #3 injectors with a junk TDI that I bought, code and glow plug light has not came back and is no longer in limp mode:)