CR engine HPFP analysis

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
After a '70 Bug in grad school, I graduated (faint humor) to a brand new diesel Rabbit. MPG has always fascinated me - so a succession of diesels followed: Quantum, a little Rabbit pickup I drove for 300,000 fuel efficient miles and lastly the (now) infamous TDI.

VOA's buyback offer.............like Jeta Life indicates above - the court imposed buyback was "tough to pass up"

Still drive a VW. Tough to pass on the brutally discounted brand new Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M which came to me during the high point of the "E"scandal.

Fair winds and following seas,

ez (Navy)

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I too found the buyback "tough to pass up" and regretted almost immediately selling back my faithful and utterly reliable 2011 Jetta TDI sedan. It had 250K miles on the CP4 and I used Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst from new and it never let me down.

I replaced it with a BMW 328d, but I didn't find out until later that prior to me buying it, the HPFP had failed and BMW had to repair it all under warranty. It was a nice car, but surprisingly not nearly as engaging as the Jetta was to drive.

Fast forward a few years and I found and acquired a JSW TDI with the 6MT transmission. So happy to have it, and it's been fun to drive. I continue to use Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst for every tank of fuel. This one I plan to drive for as long as I can.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Anybody know the failure rate of these HPFPs. I sold mine back to VW for the diesel gate with over 50K miles in 2017 with no issues. I did use Power service since the 1st fuel up, if that made any difference, I have no idea. It's a curious situation for sure.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Do you know where typically the numbers on these pumps are? All I can see on mine (in car) is Bosch 1000. I wanna try to figure out if the previous owner put a cp3 in or if it's still the cp4

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I think the later ones like late-2012 to 2014 were okay as long as you didnt use ****ty fuel id assume. I see mostly 2009-2011s are the ones with some faultys.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Also feels that way since the NHTSA investigation was in 2012. Not much news on total failures after they told us that it was all in our heads.

I see that NHTSA is now issuing a recall on the Ram Cummins engines to replace the CP 4.x fuel pump. At least someone got their attention. https://tfltruck.com/2021/11/ram-hd-cummins-fuel-pump-recall-update/