www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 29th, 2008, 15:14   #1
gor131-x
Veteran Member

Default First ever DYNO results,not right? DYNO PLOT pic

had the car dyno'ed today for the first time since doing the mods,and from a 115,i got 161hp with 150 whp,however,it didnt run very smooth and even though the new uprated sachs clutch with new DMF has only 300 miles on it,it was still shuddering really bad,is it the clutch/DMF setup or is it the map?

thanks
Sachs Performance Clutch and DMF,
PD130 boost solenoid valve,
Upsolute Stage 1 Remap
161bhp
Going for the 200 mark!!!
gor131-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 15:49   #2
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

Old November 29th, 2008, 15:53   #3
johnnloki
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 1100 km tanks, generally

You're supposed to be nice and gentle to your clutch for the first thousand or so miles. Dynos aren't gentle.

johnnloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 15:56   #4
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnloki
You're supposed to be nice and gentle to your clutch for the first thousand or so miles. Dynos aren't gentle.
I disagree... you usually engage the clutch gently on the dyno. When was the last time you saw a dyno operator banging gears on the rollers?

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 16:01   #5
johnnloki
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 1100 km tanks, generally

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
I disagree... you usually engage the clutch gently on the dyno. When was the last time you saw a dyno operator banging gears on the rollers?
If a clutch is starting to go, a dyno will expedite it. Remeber the Montreal Dyno day? Lots of badly slipping clutches. Dynos are hard on clutches, not because of engagement, but because they put a load on the car and give more resistance than the car should see normally.

All that said, though, it's possible that the dyno plot just hasn't been smoothed- most plots aren't pretty curves, but are jagged jumps that are smoothed out by the software of the machine.

johnnloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 16:02   #6
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

New clutches don't have the rated holding power until broken-in, nor is the mating surface smooth.

300 miles might have been too early, 500 miles is what most clutches are. Some are as long as 750 miles.
Old November 29th, 2008, 16:37   #7
gor131-x
Veteran Member

i got the clutch supplied & fitted from awesome gti and they said 250 miles and ive done around 350 when the dyno was done

ill be taking the car to the remapper on tuesday,im going to get the car put to stock and see if the clutch and or the car shudders,if it does then its the lcutch but if not then its the remap,but awesome were pretty confident the cause of the jumps was the remap done badly,mainly because i had pd130 injectors put in and that i could do with a custom remap

but normal 115's normally do 145 bhp,dont know if thats whp or at the flywheel but the guys there were impressed that i got this from a 115 from just bigger injectors,FMIC and a remap
Upsolute Stage 1 Remap
161bhp
Old November 29th, 2008, 17:03   #8
fenwick458
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gor131-x
but normal 115's normally do 145 bhp
i got 159bhp out of mine with just a map, then with a decat, smoothed box, cleaned manifold, egr delete it got 167bhp.

those are all flywheel figures, everything in the uk is flywheel.

i used to get loadsa flywheel judder on mine, then got a good map, fettled the clutch off, got a paddle clutch and new DMF and not felt it judder since
fenwick458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 17:14   #9
gor131-x
Veteran Member

mine was 161 bhp at the fly,according to what you just said,i should have got better than that as ive got the FMIC,and the bigger injectors,

just shows that the remap isnt a good one then doesnt it

ill carry on driving gently until the clutch has been bedded a couple of hundred more miles,but DAMN! just hearing that you got those figures from just a map makes me feel like ive just wasted my money on some of the mods

i remapped my old car which was 90bhp AHU engine code,and it overboosted and finished the turbo,thsi was done by chippeduk who if it wasnt for a VAG technician that wa spresent at the time there,i would never have known,but they still didnt own up to it,they used a map from a 110bhp because they couldnt find the right map for my engine,pretty much sums them up,sorry if im being harsh about chippeduk but i did not like jasons attitude whatsoever,

and upsolute is a recommended remapper on loads of forums which is why i went with him

2 different remaps,both not working out for me,
Upsolute Stage 1 Remap
161bhp
Old November 29th, 2008, 17:57   #10
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

What do you mean ChippedUK there great............................................. .............................NOT!! i've heard alot worse i'm afraid.
Old November 29th, 2008, 18:13   #11
KROUT
persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
New clutches don't have the rated holding power until broken-in, nor is the mating surface smooth.

300 miles might have been too early, 500 miles is what most clutches are. Some are as long as 750 miles.
That all depends on the material the clutch is made from. I used to use luke clutches in my many 4x4 toyota mud trucks. I took it right from the garage to the mud. Never had one fail or slip. Never gave any break in time. Redlined the crap out of it with less than 50 miles on them.

Now these new feramic clutchs I agree have to be broken it.
KROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:10   #12
gor131-x
Veteran Member

i just didnt want to start an argument on here about chippeduk,but im glad im not the only victim

well this is the sachs uprated clutch and is rated to 420NM torque,it drives fine now but i havent done a racing start yet and im not going to yet either,just a couple hundred more miles
Upsolute Stage 1 Remap
161bhp
Old November 30th, 2008, 21:38   #13
hatemi
Veteran Member

If youre getting 160+ with the stock VNT15 then your tuner must be an total amatour with no knowledge of whats the safe limit of the parts. EMPs must be just crazy....
Old November 30th, 2008, 21:56   #14
Gothmolly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Fuel Economy: 52.7/43/36.5

Or the dyno is crap.
!Vent, !DRL, 5 brake light mod, 11mm pump, RC3, Bosio Sprint 520s, VR6/G60 clutch, cracked up belly pan, leaky CCV, leaky valve cover, leaking door seals, broken glovebox, broken horn, rusted fender, dead rear windowwasher, frozen axle bushings
Dead radio? Pull fuse 42, wait 60 seconds.
Gothmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 22:44   #15
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

PD115's have vnt15's? Learn something new everyday. Yeah, you need a much bigger turbo to continue your hp quest for sure...

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote