Lost Keys

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I just added a new (to us) TDI to the family. I bought a 2004 Golf TDI from an auction house, the car is very clean and i am happy with it. The problem is the car was delivered with the wrong key. They gave me a valet key, but it is clearly not the right one as it won't turn in the ignition.

Fast Forward:

I got a new key from the dealer, they told me it was all ready to go and should work in the car. It does, but only for a second until the immobilizer kicks in. So can this key be coded without towing the car in to the dealer? I was told i could fix this with Vag-Com, but without the PIN i have my doubts.

Thanks,

Luke

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
You are correct, you have to have the SKC from the cluster for Vagcom to be able to program the key. Before towing to the dealer I'd try to find someone locally that has VagTacho so they can extract the SKC for you.

cowgirl007

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 143k miles Original Owner
I have a similar question. I'm the original owner, but I can't find the little black transponder strip to reprogram keys. 7 years in I've managed to loose both remotes and I'm down to the valet key, no backups. Without the code strip thing, what are my options for replacing/ coding replacement remotes?

Jeesh, if I ever loose this valet key I'm in for big $!

Y2KBuggy

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 2005, gray; 2000, yellow
I just added a new (to us) TDI to the family. I bought a 2004 Golf TDI from an auction house, the car is very clean and i am happy with it. The problem is the car was delivered with the wrong key. They gave me a valet key, but it is clearly not the right one as it won't turn in the ignition.

Fast Forward:

I got a new key from the dealer, they told me it was all ready to go and should work in the car. It does, but only for a second until the immobilizer kicks in. So can this key be coded without towing the car in to the dealer? I was told i could fix this with Vag-Com, but without the PIN i have my doubts.

Thanks,

Luke
Possible ways you wouldn't have to pay for a tow:

Would the stealership come to you (especially since they said the key should work)? Can the stealership fix it without the car? Do you have AAA or other roadside assistance? Is there any provision for the key in the paperwork from the auction? Does the auction house have the right key that you could swap the worng key for? Do you have a manual for the car that tells you how to recode the key? Is the correct key in the glove compartment, above the visor, under the floormat, in the console, etc.?

Good luck!

Y2KBuggy

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 2005, gray; 2000, yellow
I have a similar question. I'm the original owner, but I can't find the little black transponder strip to reprogram keys. 7 years in I've managed to loose both remotes and I'm down to the valet key, no backups. Without the code strip thing, what are my options for replacing/ coding replacement remotes?

Jeesh, if I ever loose this valet key I'm in for big $!
The little black strip may be in your glove compartment, inside one of your owner's manuals (hooked to a binder ring, taped to a page, stuck in a pocket, or in between pages), in the spare tire toolkit, in the center console, with your warranty or purchase paperwork, with any radio or CD changer-related paperwork or packaging, with your locking lug nut thingee, with your tow eye, or taped to the top, back, bottom, or side of the inside your glove compartment.

Hope you find it. I have been told you have to have it if you do anything with your radio/CD changer if it is a Monsoon sound system.