Steel Rear Bumper Sill Plate Cover for VW Passat B7 Sedan 2011-2013

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Couple red flags for me....

#1 - They call it a B7. In the U.S. it is not a B7 chassis, it is the NMS. However, there still seems to be some arguments about this.

#2 - they list a 2011 model year. In the U.S. there was no 2011 model year passat. That is indisputable as it was a transition year from the German built B6 to the U.S. built NMS.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I was looking at the same part for my Passat. I wanted to protect the bumper, plus I thought the rear of the car was a little bland and the look of the metal bumper protector would look nice. Instead I went ahead with the black protector and bought a chromed strip and attached it to the bottom of the trunk lid. Saw this on the European Passats on a recent trip in July and thought it was a nice touch.

I think there is only 2 other items I might add: a trunk spoiler and mud flaps - although I might have second thoughts on the flap since they negatively affect aerodynamics.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
mud flaps - although I might have second thoughts on the flap since they negatively affect aerodynamics.
Ya I'm holding my breath that the 2016 will have hydraulic mudflaps that extend at speeds under 35 and then retract under 25.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't think I'd be putting a piece of steel on the sill unless you like rust. Made in China, probably doesn't even fit the North American Passat.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I agree about the mud flaps/splash guard concern.

I bought my car for various reasons and have held off on adding sunroof deflector and splash guards for fear of lose of MPG's. Minimal at best, I'm sure, but I'm sure it can't help at 65mph+ either.

Silly I know.....

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
After owning 2 hybrids, one tends to think about the impact mud flaps and other attachments have on aerodynamics and mpg.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I think more about the scratches and dings on a white bumper. Don't have a clue about the drag created by mud flaps. I suspect tire pressure would have a bigger impact. I am already screwed there, 4 nice wide 18" rims instead of tall skinny tires like the bugs had.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
Mud flaps may not reduce mpg in any measurable way in a TDI, but it could on a hybrid since they have much less torque/hp. I notice that with the a/c on or off, it doesn't make any difference in my mpg's, but in my previous hybrid's it did due to the higher electrical consumption. But it was nice sitting at a stop light, the engine off, and still getting nice cold air out of the a/c! Mercedes in Europe have diesel/hybrids - rode in a taxi that had it - very cool! I hope VW heads in that direction soon.

Back on topic: One consideration for me to NOT get the metal rear bumper protector is if I was doing it to protect against scratching the bumper surface, the metal protector would eventually start showing scratches as well after dragging luggage in/out of the trunk.

Last edited:

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I found another protector made of black textured plastic that should do the job. Painted bumpers may be cheaper than chromed bumpers but they show every ding and scratch.