ALH (VCDS)Health Check/Upgrades

Mfgeng

TDI
2000 Beetle ALH 5 Speed
Hello all! New to the forum, but have visited the site as a guest off and on. Great information led me to an informed decision to purchase a manual transmission alh Beetle over the newer PD Beetle. Thank you.

So I have purchased VCDS from Ross-Tech, and am learning to use it. I’m wanting to use it to check the health of anything I can with it. Auto scan returned “incorrect key programming”, but I do not seem to have any issues with the key. What logs should I run to test components like injectors, MAF, etc?

The Beetle has a little over 150k miles. It has had a timing belt, brakes, clutch, tires, window switches and regulators in the last 10-20k miles. The air filter and fuel filter were replaced and the injector pump/injectors purged with liqumoly 500 miles ago. It’s in good running condition, getting 40mpg mixed highway/rural and some moderate idle time.

I’m considering new injector nozzles. Then a tune. Then who knows? My major objective is a work commuter with excellent fuel mileage, reliability, and enough power to safely merge and pass. Not really looking to make a big power at this point as I have a 12 valve Cummins and a deleted 6.7L Powerstroke to scratch that itch for now.

Thank you for any and all advice!

Chuck (mfgeng)

Mfgeng

TDI
2000 Beetle ALH 5 Speed
Thank you for the links Bob! I will do some more reading!