Suggestions on fuel filter

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Its time to replace the fuel filter, so I thought I would pick one up from ID parts, but there are 2 available

1. UFI brand $23
2. OEM brand at at $37

I *think* they are the same - and would be OK with either.

Where are you getting your filter from?

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
Oem only for me, had 220k on my 2010 with no problems. And I never once purged the fuel system with a vagcom com either. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DieselGator

TDI
2014 Touareg Special X Edition
I hear ya.. I just put a Sofima/UFI brand in my Touareg (from ID parts - think it was the only one offered?) I was wondering/ a little worried myself by not going with OEM, but I have no issues so far - been running it a month now!

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would ask ID Parts their opinion. They are very knowledgeable. I doubt they would carry anything that wasn't okay to use. I prefer OEM when ever possible myself, just because.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The filter canister is usually made by the filter manufacture and VW branded filter boxes are just that different boxes.

I ordered from Idparts I think it was UFI and have no worries about it.

CGK

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
UFI was in fact the OEM supplier to VW for the fuel filter canister and the filter element.
VW will always put the VW part numbered filter in one of their own VW branded boxes and add a premium to the price.

Go with the UFI filter and get the exact same thing that is stuffed into the VW box. FOR LESS CASH !! :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If replaced every 20k then I would think ether would do. Spend the money on one of these, https://www.idparts.com/oil-filter-drain-tool-ea288-p-6949.html.

I did our '15 20K oil change, while not ideal i also didn't feel another one use tool was quite needed, it was pretty easy to get the wire loom out of the way and just wait for the oil canister drip straight down into the catch bin.

Now if there is some sort of clean design diesel fuel canister condom that catches all the spilled fuel when popping the lid, that'd save 5-8 paper towels i wrap around the canister.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Now if there is some sort of clean design diesel fuel canister condom that catches all the spilled fuel when popping the lid, that'd save 5-8 paper towels i wrap around the canister.
I hear you on that! It's such a quick swap that the longest part is padding the area around and the clean up after.