Tandem Pump Leak

stickman007

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
I guess this is nothing new to BEW owners. Thought I chime in with my experience.

Brought my 2004 TDI PD about 2 months ago. I noticed that the tandem pump had a bit of sweeping and thought nothing of it because I was aware of the gasket problem between the head and the pump. What I didn't know was that some of the LUK pumps were leaking from the cover. What made it worst was that the pump cover has a gasket that no one could source a part for. The final kick in the pants was that there were so much diesel leak that it went into my clutch and now I'm slipping :(

When I opened the cover, I noticed that I had a metal gasket...the previous owner had tried to "buff" the surface and did a horrible job. Now the sealing surfaces are no longer "flushed." Now I need a new $360 pump.

My question is, can I resurface both surface (pump housing and cover) and maybe use a vitron gasket to seal it? Anybody with experience?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Check if your in-tank electric fuel pump is working.

Recently, I had to replace my tandem pump and a couple months later I noticed that my in-tank pump was not working. The car will still run without it, but some people think that running this way can damage the tandem pump, because of reduced fuel flow.

My in-tank pump could have failed years ago. I'm not even sure. But I have to wonder if it led to the leaking tandem pump. Mine was leaking from the cover, like yours.

The good news is it's really easy to check the electric pump. It's under the rear-right seat cushion, beneath an access panel. Lift the seat, fold the carpet flap back, undo 3 screws and there's the top of your pump.

When the engine is running, the electric pump should be running and you can hear it humming away. Also, when you switch the ignition on, it runs for a couple seconds to pressurize the system, before you start the engine.

stickman007

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Thanks for the tips...in-tank is running!

Will have to wash the engine bay to confirm that everything is fixed later today.