broken rear spring

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Worked on the rear shocks today. Did the right side first and when the left side came off, noticed the spring was broken one coil from the top. We put it back until I can find another spring. What's my best source for a rear spring? Autohausaz has front spings for $25 ea but no listing for rear springs. I am gonna call them tomorrow and see if they have the rears unlisted for the same price. Are Passat wagon rear springs common with other models?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I can't recall...I think the dealer discontinued them. But it may be worth a call.

I think neuspeed may still have sport springs.

I would guess that ANY Passat B4 rear springs would work fine: Try junkyards.

HTH

Tony

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
1stvwparts has them and they aren't cheap (but cheaper than your dealer). Wagon rear springs are different from sedan.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
No, actually the price isn't too bad: $36 ea. The sedan springs are $133 ea.!

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Autohausaz can't get rear springs. Talked to 1stvwparts (a dealer), says their online catalog is wrong. Rear springss are $133. The $36 springs listed is for a Fox, not Passat.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
I think I've finally found a good set of rear springs and hardware. I was not able to find any good ones in local junkyards. I did find a set that's still on a VR6 wagon but the they were all rusty and looked like crap.

Per the seller, these are supposed to be the actual pics of the springs from a 97 VR6 with 107K miles. With 100% positive feedback, I am hopeful I will get a good set. I am waiting for them to arrive. I really need to fix the rear suspension bad. The left rear with the broken spring has a Monroe Sensor Crap that is not doing anything at all! It just clunks. The spring probably broke after the shock stopped working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290379055022&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290291165715&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT