B4 Trailer Wiring Question

914rrr

TDI
2012 JSW w/ DSG
I am in the process of installing a Curt Hitch on my 96 Passat. What is the best way to attach trailer wiring to my Passat? Is there a plug in style module available or does it require wire splicing?

Thanks!
Rob
865-463-2575

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I never found one. I merely tapped into the existing car wiring. The left rear fender has all the wiring you'll need to access, including the right directional.

914rrr

TDI
2012 JSW w/ DSG
Thanks. Is there a wiring diagram posted here or online somewhere? I have a A3 Bentley Manual. Is the wiring on an A3 similar enough?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The A3 and B4 rear light schematics show a difference in color coding, Don't use the color of the A3 as a guide for the B4.
The termination points in the light sockets are the same. "BLL" is connected to the "M6" lamp for left turn on both models. "58L" is connected to the left tail lamp on both, and so on.

westyman

Veteran Member
TDI
'90 Syncro 16" highroof camper mTDI project; '97 Passat TDI sedan 'parts car'
On a B4 wagon I just added a hitch to, the taillight has an accessory plug position to add what I would assume to be hitch wires. If you could get that plug you wouldn't need to splice in wires. Which is what I did before I saw the plug socket, oh well. A test light a hand full of wire splicers and off you go.