Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
Here in the Bay Area, California --

Chevron stations -
RUG - about $4.15
D2 - about $4.51

Crazy. It's like everyone was just waiting for an excuse to boost the price of diesel again.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
BP by me was at $3.99 for D2 and $3.77 for Rug. According to the radio, gas prices in NC have jumped 3 cents overnight. I'm down to about a quarter of a tank, so I'm figuring a little over 100 miles before I have to fill up. Maybe prices will be back down by then.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
My wife bought $3.99 diesel yesterday in Little Rock.
I've seen it up to $4.09 in Conway.

Off topic,
we expect 3 to 6 inches of rain from Isaac here in central Ark. over the next 36 hours or so. Not as bad as on the Gulf coast, and much needed to break the drought, but still might have been nice in smaller doses.
Keep watching the skies!

Diesel1

TDI
Black 2012 Jetta TDI
Just went up here in Framingham, MA (20 miles outside Boston) Shell 24 hour was 4.05 now 4.19 for diesel.
All I see on TV is propaganda how oil prices may be going up due to the hurricane, what a load of bull****. The oil platforms are secure, and suffer little damage during hurricanes. The oil company had this increase planned weeks ago, they saw the storm coming, planned their stories, and publicized their propagana to justify the increase. Oil companies will continue pay off all the news stations and polititions support their high prices and make sure Americans buy a new gasser every 7 years.

Im glad I drive a tdi!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Gentlemen: oil companies do not set the prices for oil and fuel products. They cannot keep prices low in the wake of a storm that shuts down production. They can do nothing to prevent hoarding by consumers who decide that when a hurricane is bearing down on them, it's a good time to fill the tanks on every vehicle they own.

When fuel supplies in the vicinity of the storm are down, then fuel from neighboring regions must be trucked in, at higher cost -- and these neighboring regions then have less than the markets had anticipated.

Lastly, in most of the country the fuel prices at the pump were already high and going higher, before Hurricane Isaac. Oil prices have been rising everywhere around the world -- Brent crude is up about $25/barrel since the 20th or 25th of June. The US is not immune to the geopolitical forces that drive global oil prices.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just paid $3.76 in Tega Cay, SC. Probably still had 100 miles left on the tank but decided to get it before prices climb through the holiday weekend.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just noticed the Shell by the Interstate is up again.

Cash $4.17/D2
Credit $4.29/D2

And the Murphy's on a side street

Cash/Credit $3.99/D2
With Discount $3.96/D2

Jason

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I've been out sick for a few days and meant to post this on Wednesday... But as soon as Isaac made its way into Louisiana, our prices fell back down to pre-hurricane levels. Oh, and I meant gas prices. Diesel is still high as a kite.

Petrol:
8-25 (pre-Isaac panic): $3.519
8-28 (nearing landfall): $3.799
8-29 (day after): $3.519

Diesel:
8-25: $3.799
8-28: $4.199
8-29: $3.999

Um, yay? :mad:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The news this morning said that gas prices have gone up 11 cents since Monday.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Just fueled up in San Diego at a Shell for 4.59! RIDICULOUS!
That's your problem -- you went to a Shell station. They frequently have the most expensive fuels no matter what part of the country you're in. The company tells the lessees that they must have diesel pumps, but they cannot force the lessees to sell that diesel at competitive prices.

You might have been the only person to buy diesel from that station that day, or maybe that week. Which is not good -- what you want is fresh fuel from a station that sells a lot and gets frequent deliveries. Such stations usually have the lowest prices. You might look at http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D for the best prices where you live or work.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
That's your problem -- you went to a Shell station. They frequently have the most expensive fuels no matter what part of the country you're in. The company tells the lessees that they must have diesel pumps, but they cannot force the lessees to sell that diesel at competitive prices.
You might have been the only person to buy diesel from that station that day, or maybe that week. Which is not good -- what you want is fresh fuel from a station that sells a lot and gets frequent deliveries. Such stations usually have the lowest prices. You might look at http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D for the best prices where you live or work.
We have 2 Shell stations that don't sell diesel any longer. When the one did, it wasn't any more expensive than anywhere else - and their gas is often the cheapest in town too. Maybe it is the owner?

But i'm not sure there is such a thing as "cheap diesel/gas" in CA anywhere regardless of the station!

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI

Actually in Southern California (Los Angeles area) I've found that Shell diesel is the most inexpensive brand name fuel. I also use my Ralph's rewards card to get an additional 10 cents per gallon off at my local Shell station. As of late my rewards card has been offering a total of 20 cents off per gallon for the past several months. I did find a local Chevron station a couple of weeks back that had D2 cheaper than my local Shell station, but when I went back a couple of days ago the price skyrocketed and was no longer a deal.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Paid $3.85 for my first ever pump in downtown Dallas with my barely week old CW Golf TDi on Thursday :)

bmatt

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
$3.99 in San Angelo, Tx. $4.09 in Odessa, Texas were they are drilling for oil everywhere. Makes no sense.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5.21 per gallon in Wawona, Ca.
After looking Wawona up on a map, I think if I was in Wawona and needed fuel, I would happily pay $5 or $6 or even $7 for a gallon or two... so that I could get back to civilization and fill my tank for $4 or whatever it costs back in civilization.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Paid $3.73 in Lake Wylie, SC this evening.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Paid $3.999 at hess today.

I wish I got 100 miles when my fuel light came on, it did this morning, and I put 13.1 gallons in, had only driven 10 miles at the most, and only got 32.x on that tank.

I'm thinking I need to plan on only getting 50 miles when it comes on - I hadn't wanted to fill up until tomorrow, but have to drive more than 50 miles in a few minutes.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
A double-good dose for me today. I found out that the new Murphy Express that opened up down on the beach is still selling diesel at $3.799, a considerable discount compared to what it is closer to home.

Also, they've stickered the pump with a notice that it's between B5 and B20. Good. That's the first biodiesel I've found since I moved to Baldwin County. One of the bio locator services online lists several Merrit Oil stations but they've all rebranded and taken away the biodiesel before I moved here.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
One of the bio locator services online lists several Merrit Oil stations but they've all rebranded and taken away the biodiesel before I moved here.
I never thought to look that way... alas, looks like FL is lacking.

I did see that my former college ex-"boyfriend's" old company will deliver it to my Yacht in South Florida. I always knew he'd turn out good! LOL!!

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Last tank of Shell V-power diesel was £1.499 / litre (= £5.66 / usg, = $ 9 / us gallon), at my local station. Normally I'd get regular diesel because premium is a waste of money, but it'd run out.

Interesting article on diesel prices today, including a breakdown of the price including tax.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19489908

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Holding steady @ $1.249 per liter Canadian - $4.728 per gallon US in Castelgar/Slocan Valley, BC.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just keeping an eye out when going to pickup flooring;

Chevron near interstate - $4.49/D2
Texaco several blocks in- $3.99/D2

Most other stations in between - $4.05/D2

And there was no change in the amount of people at either station. People really don't pay attention to the prices beyond the total when they are done.

Jason