1.9TDI AFN - 250HP - Golf MK1

ezphar

TDI
1.9TDI AFN
Hallo Guys,

My Name Is Marco, I am 24 Years old an i live in Germany, Bavaria.

I am currently building a Golf MK1 with Golf 3 1.9TDI AFN engine. The problem is, diesel engines are rarely tuned in Germany. That's why I hope you can help me further.

My Goal Is to reach 250Hp with the AFN Engine.

So i got a lot of Questions ��

1. How much NM can the Original Rods?

I wanted FCP H-Beam Rods including ARP 2000 Rod Bolts, Mahle Pistons, ARP Crank Mains and ARP Cylinder Head Screws.

2. The Original Pistons are already MAHLE. Should I use the old ones or buy a nee Set?

3. Original Inlet Manifold from the 1.9 PD Engine or a Custom Aluminium from Darkside Dev.?

4. Exhaust Is already 3“ without Cat, only 1 Muffler at the End. So I think this Is ok ��

5. Which injection nozzles and which piston diameter of the distributor pump?

6. Which clutch package? G60 single flywheel? Sachs Performance 4Pad? It is a 5-speed 02A transmission (ASD with the long 5th gear)

7. Which MAP sensor? The original can only go up to 2 bar

8. Performance Camshaft with how much Degrees?

9. Last and most important question. Which turbocharger? OEM, Stage X or Hybrid? What can you recommend to me?
What is very important to me, he must have an early response.

Nice greetings from Germany

Last edited:

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Hello,

250hp on this engine is problably close to or the limit of what a un-ported head can do.

1. Wait for other answers but there is people runing more than 300hp on standard rods and it look like lowering the CR and having torque upper in the rev range helped (caused by bigger turbo).

2. If they good i dont see why you should change.

3. For 250hp 1.9pd intake manifold is more than enough.

5. Seems that gibonta 0.320 are one of the best at the moment, combined with a 11mm pump you will get plenty of fuel if you plain to go past 250hp later.

6. i will give a try on single flywheel + vr6 clutch and a stronger pressure plate.

7. Original MAP sensor on AFN goes up to 1,5 bar, get a 4bar map sensor.

8. A lot of people in east europe use SDI camshaft, there's also performance from nps, dbilas, pipercams,... most of them are close to 10mm of lift and 260-270° if i'm not wrong.

9. I will go with a gtd2060vz or a gtb2060vklr for 250hp, a original turbo. You might be dissapointed if you go for hybrid and dont pick the right builder.

Hope it will help, will be funny on a mk1 :D

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I'm actually selling a load of parts you might be keen on, please see the for sale section:

- GTB2060VKLR turbo with AFN manifold, low mileage
- 0.341 HFLOX injectors, low mileage
- New Rosten Rods
- New 81mm BHW Pistons with rings
- New ARP head studs
- New crankshaft bearing kit

I was going to build another high spec engine but have now changed plans

Many thanks

Last edited: