Men driving TDI's women driving Escalades

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
This thread has gone on way too long with no one really responding to the OP. So here's my 10 cents worth. (12 cents for the Canucks.) "Women are supposed to be the conscience of the family" Huh??? Are you saying men don't have or need a conscience? That's the craziest thing I've read in a long time. Just a tad bit sexist, don't ya think? And why do you feel the need to post about why some little "pint-sized" woman would even want to drive a "behemoth of a vehicle"? Jeepers! The little woman should know her place! And when she's not cooking all 3 meals a day from scratch, washing cloth diapers by hand, knitting sweaters, darning your socks and cleaning up after you and all 10 kids, she should be spending her "free" time clipping coupons, recycling cans and bottles she's been collecting from the side of the highway and other people's garbage cans, shopping at Goodwill or some other thrift store, ironing your underwear, polishing the silver and greeting you at the door, in her pearls and high heels, after you come home from a hard day at the office, take your briefcase, hand you a beer or martini, offer to massage your shoulders as you settle into your comfy Barcalounger in front of the TV then annouce "dinner will be ready soon dear! Did you have a nice day at work?"

I suppose if the OP from Toronto had a conscience, especially when it comes to money and the environment, he would be riding a bicycle or walking. Oh, but I forgot. Women are the ones who are supposed to practical and be the "conscience of the family". You get this year's award for the goofiest, outdated, sexist and most out of touch "family man".

You forgot the s*x kitten part... ;)

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline
This thread has gone on way too long with no one really responding to the OP. So here's my 10 cents worth. (12 cents for the Canucks.) "Women are supposed to be the conscience of the family" Huh??? Are you saying men don't have or need a conscience? That's the craziest thing I've read in a long time. Just a tad bit sexist, don't ya think? And why do you feel the need to post about why some little "pint-sized" woman would even want to drive a "behemoth of a vehicle"? Jeepers! The little woman should know her place! And when she's not cooking all 3 meals a day from scratch, washing cloth diapers by hand, knitting sweaters, darning your socks and cleaning up after you and all 10 kids, she should be spending her "free" time clipping coupons, recycling cans and bottles she's been collecting from the side of the highway and other people's garbage cans, shopping at Goodwill or some other thrift store, ironing your underwear, polishing the silver and greeting you at the door, in her pearls and high heels, after you come home from a hard day at the office, take your briefcase, hand you a beer or martini, offer to massage your shoulders as you settle into your comfy Barcalounger in front of the TV then annouce "dinner will be ready soon dear! Did you have a nice day at work?"
I suppose if the OP from Toronto had a conscience, especially when it comes to money and the environment, he would be riding a bicycle or walking. Oh, but I forgot. Women are the ones who are supposed to practical and be the "conscience of the family". You get this year's award for the goofiest, outdated, sexist and most out of touch "family man".
Wow! You completely missed the context of my OP. I didn't say that women "were" the conscience of the family. I said they are supposed to be (in theory) as is well documented in Americana. These days women anoint themselves as such anyway. Surely you have an axe to grind for some reason I will not have the opportunity to know. To further make the point, I have a great job with a great wife who drives a Toyota Camry. Three kids kept us busy as I myself did at least 50% of the cooking not to mention, made beds, changed diapers, coached soccer and hockey, cleaned toilets and also run the sewing machine as my mother taught me, did homework and massaged my wife's shoulders if she had a bad day at work. She has a great job as well and has no need to drive a behemoth to pump her ego. Really.....I'm sexist? Go figure.
You rant is completely off base and more than sexist in it's own right. You completely, utterly and absolutely missed the point of the whole post and turned it into a place to point your angst.
The point is that there is no need for women AND OR MEN to drive such vehicles in this day and age but women, pint size or large, look especially out of place. It was just an observation form a TDI driver.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go make the beds and cook breakfast for my kids as my wife has to have her nails done

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
But he was right about one thing. There's no point for you or me to drive a TDI either. Walk or ride a bike. You don't need a tdi , you want one. All in all the duplicity and idiocy of first world country residents trying to say what other first world country residents need is hilarious.

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
But he was right about one thing. There's no point for you or me to drive a TDI either. Walk or ride a bike. You don't need a tdi , you want one. All in all the duplicity and idiocy of first world country residents trying to say what other first world country residents need is hilarious.
YOU are right as well. I wanted a TDI. It's cool to be able to hide behind the righteous badge it provides though. I live in downtown TO in a condo building. Other than driving to, from and for work, I walk everywhere. I'm lucky in that regard. And, this building is full of BMWs, Audies, Mercedes, Range Rovers and Cayennnes driven by lots of rich men and women of all sizes:) who probably drive to work that's 5 minutes away.

My choice is the TDI because yes, I want one and it makes sense in so many ways including the much aligned "social conscience" that was ripped by tadurkee.

Americans and Canadians are friendly. We share lots of ideals and chicken wings. It's good. We may differ somewhat on the car thing but it's pretty close.

Cheers to the US! (except in Olympic hockey)

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
Have to chime in here,

No vehicle epitomizes this thread more than the porsche cayenne. Wow. Lets take an engineering marvel of an 400+? bhp engine and slap it into a beast of a shell that rivals any full-size SUV out there.

Great, now lets put of what I can only assume brembo 4+ piston calipers and rotors on it. Ah, Great im sure itll be stopping quickly with what I can only assume is almost 5000lb of weight behind it.

An absolute waste of performance in every aspect.

I have always hated escalades, but the cayenne really tops it. At least chevy isnt trying to be something it isnt. A race car.
You forgot the Mercedes AMG G63, GL63, and ML63... 500+ hp and each can tow 7000+ pounds. The G class especially, it was designed as a military vehicle and true off roader, now it has 20 inch wheels, 536 hp, and a $136,000 base price.

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
One of my favourite family vehicles was a 1996 Chevy Astro Van. I loved that thing. Was great to haul around the kids, dog, pull our boat. It was totally utilitarian but it's time came and went. I wish I still had it but couldn't justify it now. Given the general state of the economy, trying to reign in frivolous expenses, I don't want to be wasteful and I want to leave a smaller carbon foot print. My TDI works for the family and still a blast to drive. Horse power is still an addictive drug that's hard to ignore. I guess people with big $$ can't.

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I've owned new vehicles : Datsun B 210(killed in a spectacular wreck), Chevy Spectrum(ate mufflers), Toyota p.u. that eventually grew into the Tacoma(217,000 miles and still running for someone else), Mercury Mystique(a P.O.S.), Toyota Matrix(practical but bland). The used ones were a 1964 Ford p.u. and a 1971 Super Beetle. All 4 cylinder but the Ford(2 speed auto and 8 cylinders). All but the Ford, Mercury, and Toyota Matrix were manuals. Never anything that I paid more than $17,000.00 before tax though till now. I had the Toyota p.u., 5 speed manual, when I was your age. I decided to treat myself in my advanced senility and got the JSW.
My 03 Passat GLX 4 Motion was costing me $650/month in premium fuel costs. I liked the car but not the cost to operate and it was needing lots of other repairs when I got rid of it. My Golf Wagon TDI is $413/month and about $250/month for diesel fuel and no maintenance worries. Even though I pretty much break even in sheer dollars, I have a new car with warranty and haven't given up anything except the 4Motion. I really love the car

Last edited:

thepirate

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
When we all should be more aware of the real costs to the planet of driving, it is amazing to see the sheer numbers of these enormous, gas guzzling monsters. And it's true, they handle like crap and are actually more likely to get into an accident, and your only hope of survival rests in the sheer size of the thing. And pity the poor person who gets hit by one. All that for what purpose? To drive two kids to school, soccer practice, etc. Certainly, you dont need all that to get to the food store and back. You need to tow a trailer, boat that makes sense. I just dont think most are used for that purpose. Strange priorities.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Several years back all of the Mary Kay cosmetics salespeople around here were driving Yukons. It turns out that there were special tax depreciation rules that encouraged the sale of those vehicles to commercial businesses including 5 feet tall women who are essentially carrying just a suitcase sized sample case. If I need to tow a boat, i'll buy a used Chevy pickup personally and save $20,000.00 or more easily.

8v-of-fury

it's true, they handle like crap and are actually more likely to get into an accident, and your only hope of survival rests in the sheer size of the thing. And pity the poor person who gets hit by one.
I actually watched a Denali/Escalade make a heated stop the other day on dry pavement while making a turn.. and the unpredictability of it's movements was complete bullsiht. Because they were stopping fast and turning the truck literally was rocking in every direction from suspension deflection.. It was out of control without any tires loosing traction. I was like to my gf "****, i'd never want to drive one of those and have to maneuver in a sketchy situation"

When we all should be more aware of the real costs to the planet of driving, it is amazing to see the sheer numbers of these enormous, gas guzzling monsters.
TRUTH! I drive an 84 Jetta as my daily year round for the last coming up 7 years. I do everything with it, long highway commutes, inner city stop and go, I routinely two 1200-1300lbs, 4 people and gear in the trunk (sometimes at the same time as towing! :O), I go camping, and light off-roading! What I am getting at, is this tiny 30 year old car suits EVERY need I have in life.. I have recycled about 4-6 cars after stripping them for parts and selling off what ever I didn't need. This is essentially a car with no carbon foot-print ;) Ok there is some, but it is limited for sure. Total cost of ownership is definitely under $15k.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have recycled about 4-6 cars after stripping them for parts and selling off what ever I didn't need.
You spend your time/money/experience/intelligence doing that. Compare to others who use it to earn more money to buy those newer/larger vehicles.

When we all should be more aware of the real costs to the planet of driving
Which are? No one can quantify that. Everyone has a guess with some amount of research behind it, valid or invalid.

If people want to force a change is vehicle ownership/behavior, change their costs now, today's $, not 20/40/100 years from now! Tax fuel like Europe does. How is it different than cigarettes, alcohol?

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

^^ Which means I can make less money and be better off. Less stress, less worry, more living :)