External Oil cooler for the V6 TDI (AKN)

Apollo510

TDI
2.5 V6 (AKN)
Hi!

My name ist Wolfgang and I´m new in this forum since yesterday.
I´m from Germany and live at the northcoast of West-Germay.

If you´re wondering why this guy ist asking questions here and not in his own country...I´ve already done this, but I´ve got no workable resposes for this special question...so i hope you maybe will/can help me.

So, here´s my problem:

I have a Vanagon and done a engineswap (Audi V6 TDI - AKN) in connection with a Renault Transmission (UN1). This is a etablished practice
here...not the engine but the transmission (with other TDI´s).
Because of the location of the engine in the back, the temperatures can be much higher. Eventually I will install other injectors (Firrad +25%) an a chiptuning. This will rise the temp additionally.

And now my question:

I would like to install a additional oilcooling-system (maybe in the front / maybe under the car, next to the transmission). How can I do this? The problem is in my opinion the filterhousing. There is no standardfilter where I can place a adapterplate between. I´ve searched the internet for any possibilities, but got no answers...
:confused: Here is a overview for better understanding: catfans.info/Audi/katalog.php?lang=e&catalog=au&markt=RDW&modell=A4&einsatz=2001&epis_typ=223&dir_name=R&hg_ug=115&bildtafel2=115038

Best regards
Wolfgang

(09:13 pm local time :))

Last edited:

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Does the AKN not have an oil cooler behind the aircon compressor like the AKE?

I would of thought the best best would be customer extended piping?
Potentially unsure if your fitment makes certain things fun I'm sure a scavenge pump would help (if needed).

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...115/subcategory/115038/part_id/3686030/lang/e

here, number 30 is your oil cooler, this is the same piece as on many other VW engines, there is one larger oil cooler than this one, discussed in the link below:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78993
038117021B OIL COOLER
038117061 LOWER COVER TO OIL COOLER WITH SEAL
038117070B SEAL
You could also use an external oil cooler adapter off of this flange instead, but I very much prefer ones that put the heat from the oil into the engine coolant, as otherwise it is easy to have oil that is far too cold during the winter.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
486 nice links, just jumping on and can share pics later I think our V6's have the middle cooler so that far right one is a nice upgrade! (Adds to shopping list).

Also worth just replacing these anyway in course as years ago I had 2 blown head gaskets due to the failure of one of these, the shop missed it the first time.

Edit: Need to check something later but, I'm assuming the V6 coolers have a bung of something as out filters are located elsewhere and a pic in that thread shows the filter
going into the cooler.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Edit: Need to check something later but, I'm assuming the V6 coolers have a bung of something as out filters are located elsewhere and a pic in that thread shows the filter
going into the cooler.
on some of them they mount the filter underneath, on the ones with cartridge filters they've got a cap that goes on instead of a cannister filter.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Its a damn tight fit to install but possible to use thermostatic sandwich plate between the engine block and the oil to water heat exchanger. Two 90 degree AN10 lines i manged to fit in. Some pics here: https://evvk.1g.fi/kuvat/Diudi/remppa/ So tight place it was impossible to take good picture :D

Apollo510

TDI
2.5 V6 (AKN)
Its a damn tight fit to install but possible to use thermostatic sandwich plate between the engine block and the oil to water heat exchanger. Two 90 degree AN10 lines i manged to fit in. Some pics here: https://evvk.1g.fi/kuvat/Diudi/remppa/ So tight place it was impossible to take good picture :D

Hi!
Interesting pictures from your project...very cool!

But you did not use a sandwichplate? Directly from the original oil cooler

to your radiator and back? What kind of pump did you use to hold the oil in flow? Is that on picture DSC_0488.JPG?

Apollo510

TDI
2.5 V6 (AKN)
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...115/subcategory/115038/part_id/3686030/lang/e

here, number 30 is your oil cooler, this is the same piece as on many other VW engines, there is one larger oil cooler than this one, discussed in the link below:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78993
038117021B OIL COOLER
038117061 LOWER COVER TO OIL COOLER WITH SEAL
038117070B SEAL
You could also use an external oil cooler adapter off of this flange instead, but I very much prefer ones that put the heat from the oil into the engine coolant, as otherwise it is easy to have oil that is far too cold during the winter.

Thanks for the infos!
My link shows the same...but dosen´t functioning...

I don´t want to use my Vanaon in the Winter, only summer! So, i prefer the external one.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
There is a thermostatic sandwich plate between. I believe it was Mocal.Like i said wasnt able to take pics because camera just didnt fit in anywhere.
Basically there is sandwich between original heat exchanger and the block, two 90 angle an10 fittings and hoses to external cooler etc. The cooler is blue one.

That is just a fuel pump under the car. Not related to oil.

Hi!
Interesting pictures from your project...very cool!

But you did not use a sandwichplate? Directly from the original oil cooler

to your radiator and back? What kind of pump did you use to hold the oil in flow? Is that on picture DSC_0488.JPG?

Apollo510

TDI
2.5 V6 (AKN)
But if i use an adapterplate, what kind would be fit on my oil cooler?
Any ideas for possible plates which are not to thick?