Flashing Pre-Glow and MIL lamps

Schnell TDI

TDI
2013Passat
2013 NMS Passat, 48K. Vehicle had been parked about two weeks. First start engine turned over much longer than normal. Pre-glow lamp continues to flash with MIL lamp illuminated. Drove about a block and returned home. Subsequent starts are successful but also require longer cranking than normal. Idle is smooth. Scheduled a service appointment with dealership. Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
I had a similar issue in April 2016. Used VCDS and discovered it was the turbo wastegate getting stuck. Problem fixed itself by the time I got to dealer. Hasnt reoccured since.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
No such thing as a wastegate on a NMS. As to the OP, you need to check codes. This particular combination can indicate several problems. The worst being a failed turbo which is not to be taken lightly.

Check your oil level at minimum. If low, then drop the lower charge tube on the Intercooler and check for excess oil. More than a couple of teaspoons of lubricant is cause for concern.

As with all diesels the first commandment when a problem arises is to change filters. The fuel filter will be of primary concern. Make 100% sure there are no sparkles (metal shavings) in evidence. And even if the filter appears clean, replace it.

As I shared above, codes will likely at least hint at the problem. Given the circumstances described I would not be at all surprised if the engine was starving for fuel. Hopefully I'm correct as the filter is cheap and simple.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
No such thing as a wastegate on a NMS. As to the OP, you need to check codes. This particular combination can indicate several problems. The worst being a failed turbo which is not to be taken lightly.

Check your oil level at minimum. If low, then drop the lower charge tube on the Intercooler and check for excess oil. More than a couple of teaspoons of lubricant is cause for concern.

As with all diesels the first commandment when a problem arises is to change filters. The fuel filter will be of primary concern. Make 100% sure there are no sparkles (metal shavings) in evidence. And even if the filter appears clean, replace it.

As I shared above, codes will likely at least hint at the problem. Given the circumstances described I would not be at all surprised if the engine was starving for fuel. Hopefully I'm correct as the filter is cheap and simple.
My apologies for oversimplifying. It is the VNT Actuator valve getting stuck. Dealer referred to it as the waste-gate. Its close to the firewall (passenger side..i think).
I don't have the Fault code that I found in VCDS, but will post when I get home. But my first guess was the Turbo. Thank god I dodged that bullet for now.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If we want to go all technical, the VNT actuator is mounted to the turbo close to the firewall, near the passengers side.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
My apologies for oversimplifying. It is the VNT Actuator valve getting stuck. Dealer referred to it as the waste-gate. Its on the firewall (passenger side..i think).
I don't have the Fault code that I found in VCDS, but will post when I get home. But my first guess was the Turbo. Thank god I dodged that bullet for now.
My fault Codes. I am an armchair mechanic. So i apologize, in advance if this doesnt meet expectations. :)

2 Faults Found:
9126 - Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1
P00AF 00 [096] - Stuck
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 129252 km
Date: 2016.04.25
Time: 06:47:45

9127 - Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1
P00AF 00 [096] - Stuck
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 129253 km
Date: 2016.04.25
Time: 06:48:29

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
all guesses until the codes are known

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I suspect the longer cranking is due to a partially flat battery. Low voltage can then cause all kinds of modules to be unhappy. Try charging the battery, or buy a new one. Yours is at least 4 years old, so it's near to the end of its life.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
2013 NMS Passat, 48K. Vehicle had been parked about two weeks. First start engine turned over much longer than normal. Pre-glow lamp continues to flash with MIL lamp illuminated. Drove about a block and returned home. Subsequent starts are successful but also require longer cranking than normal. Idle is smooth. Scheduled a service appointment with dealership. Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks.
OP, Any updates? Codes pulled?

Schnell TDI

TDI
2013Passat
Code directed the tech to the crankshaft position sensor, he then found wires eaten by mice. $556 for the repair. The goodwill card covered $500. The dealership also replaced a tire at no charge that blew out a plug in the shop. They really seem to have shifted to a customer service centric approach. Past experience there was painful and I had used an independent recommended here for the 40k service. Happy but still registered for the buy back program. Thank you for all the helpful response.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my friend is a insurance agent, mice damage is almost always covered