DeAutoKey HIDs? Who has them?

MichaelJ1978

TDI
Passat
I have the LED DRLs and looking to replace the stock bulbs with the HID kit that runs about $150. Stock bulbs are horrible at night.

Does anyone have experience with the HID plug and play kit from DeAutoKey? I've only seen a picture of the output, it looks much brighter and whiter than stock. Haven't seen a vid of it yet.

Also, with the HID bulbs, how much does a replacement run and what is the lifespan of the bulbs? As you have to plug in a ballast I wouldn't want to have one burn out then have to swap back a regular bulb for as long as it takes to get another HID shipped to me.

Thanks.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Go to Vortex, NMS (B7) section. DeAutoKey has an enormous presence there, where selling products isn't limited to vendor sections. You'll find several threads started by DeAutoKey, and hundreds of posts discussing them.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I have the LED DRLs and looking to replace the stock bulbs with the HID kit that runs about $150. Stock bulbs are horrible at night.

Does anyone have experience with the HID plug and play kit from DeAutoKey? I've only seen a picture of the output, it looks much brighter and whiter than stock. Haven't seen a vid of it yet.

Also, with the HID bulbs, how much does a replacement run and what is the lifespan of the bulbs? As you have to plug in a ballast I wouldn't want to have one burn out then have to swap back a regular bulb for as long as it takes to get another HID shipped to me.

Thanks.
Go to Vortex, NMS (B7) section. DeAutoKey has an enormous presence there, where selling products isn't limited to vendor sections. You'll find several threads started by DeAutoKey, and hundreds of posts discussing them.
Thank you - we will say we have sold many of these with no issues, complaints or returns. We feel we are helping solve the situation where people are being blinded after purchasing regular HID kits on ebay/amazon.

This is a recent side by side of our H7RC in reflector housing VS XENON OEM projectors - you can see you are gaining all the same benefits without blinding anyone:

Thank you

Last edited:

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL. I purchased the deAutoKey HID upgrade as well as the interior LED lights shortly after I took delivery of the car summer of 2013.

deAutoKey website has a great DIY with pictures. It was quite tedious as you need to remove the entire lens assembly to have better access to the bulbs and wiring.

The kit also included a pair of bulb socket to work with the HID bulb, which will also require some modification to the lens internal wiring. You won't be able to swap back to regular bulbs without undo the modification.

I also recall initially I had problem with headlight outage warning on the dash, but after disabling the blub saving function via computer, warning went away.

I have had these for 3 yrs now. No problem with the head lights so far. As for interior lights, I had a few replaced under deAutoKey's warranty policy. You have to send in your defective bulbs for them to send out replacements.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We have HIDs from another company, but I forget the name. We didn't have to take the lenses apart to install them - just removed the headlight housings, made a couple of modifications, and went about our business.

Only issue is one lamp failed a couple of years ago. Replaced both of them and we've been fine since then. I run the headlights anytime I'm in the car, so they get a lot of hours.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL. I purchased the deAutoKey HID upgrade as well as the interior LED lights shortly after I took delivery of the car summer of 2013.

deAutoKey website has a great DIY with pictures. It was quite tedious as you need to remove the entire lens assembly to have better access to the bulbs and wiring.

The kit also included a pair of bulb socket to work with the HID bulb, which will also require some modification to the lens internal wiring. You won't be able to swap back to regular bulbs without undo the modification.

I also recall initially I had problem with headlight outage warning on the dash, but after disabling the blub saving function via computer, warning went away.

I have had these for 3 yrs now. No problem with the head lights so far. As for interior lights, I had a few replaced under deAutoKey's warranty policy. You have to send in your defective bulbs for them to send out replacements.
We have HIDs from another company, but I forget the name. We didn't have to take the lenses apart to install them - just removed the headlight housings, made a couple of modifications, and went about our business.

Only issue is one lamp failed a couple of years ago. Replaced both of them and we've been fine since then. I run the headlights anytime I'm in the car, so they get a lot of hours.

VeeDubTDI - you DO NOT have to remove the housing to install our H7RC HID kit either.

Our H7RC kit also includes the no-tap adapters so it is plug and play, and they have the HID with canbus/resistor feature so you can start the lights on low voltage and with no errors.

We feel the kit panther_v was an older version from 2012 - our new kit is 100% error free / starts low voltage / no need to remove housing / comes with no-tap adapters meaning you DON'T have to use t-taps or anything else for power (all plug and play).

We also offer a lifetime warranty so if you have any issues with the bulbs or ballast we have you covered - listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/passat-b7-slim-digital-h7-hid-headlight-kit-full-set

all LEDs:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-passat-b7-nms-2012

Plus when you purchase from us you are supporting someone who donates to TDIFest and supports this forum as a vendor! :)