DRL replacement

PS2TDI

TDI
Passat SE 2013
Well, what a pain.. I dropped the dust cover for the lighting unit and it is now lost in the bumper and could not get the build out of the socket. Any tips. passenger side DRL. Passat 2013 TDI SE..

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
Unbolt fender liner, There are two bolts per side. Stick hand in and feel for bottom rubber cap. Remove cap. Unplug and twist bulb out. Now install is the hard part. Driver side I installed LED bulb into plug through the topside of engine compartment, then went from fender well to put in place and lock in and put rubber cap back on. Passside I also installed LED bulb into plug from engine bay, this side was much much harder. Then again went from underneath to install and put rubber plug back. Total time was 45mins and I have never touched this car before.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
They've come up with these big modular light assemblies for both front and rear on cars now. It would be so much easier to service if they were just made to unbolt / unlatch, then unplug a unified wiring harness, remove the whole light assembly from the car for service.
I know— dream on.

PS2TDI

TDI
Passat SE 2013
Seems from other (limited) sources I have seen... Easier to take the metal bracket off the top of the grill, just over the light module. 3 bolts in bracket and 2 bolts in bottom of module.. and replace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdj7dsErtUg

But what keeps the headlight aligned..

PS.. I now have one out in the Jetta too...

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just as a general data point. I replaced my factory DRLs at less than 1000 miles driven on a new car in Jan 2013, with PIAA 7440 Xtreme White JDM 19225. Love the bulbs. Just almost two years later with 40K miles the drivers side has burned out. I ordered another pair, and after my fiddling with the access in the wheel well the first time, with finally going for the removal of the grill and headlight assemblies, I'll just repeat that top down headlight removal this time and save myself some aggravation.
Anyway, just shy of 40K miles before burn out on the PIAA 7440s.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I want to do the same bulbs but im worried they wont perform as well inside my water filled headlight assembly that vw says is completely normal. Are the LEDs fairly waterproof like a normal bulb is?

PS2TDI

TDI
Passat SE 2013
Update:

After trying to change the DRL in my daughter's 2014 jetta... I was completely humiliated and distraught with having to pay someone for this. Even my daughter tried with her petite hands. My son tried, his hands are as big as a 6'5" athlete can be. The little mom out shined us all, and made it happen as if none of us even tried. (Of course, she didnt know that I loosened it for her.) PS.. I also dropped the dust cover for this down the inside fender by putting the cover on the top of the fender by the air filter.. My daughter retrieved that one.

So, I will have the wife try the Passat now and see if she can get that done, before I try pulling the entire head lamp unit out.

Tyler_LBZ

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Update:
After trying to change the DRL in my daughter's 2014 jetta... I was completely humiliated and distraught with having to pay someone for this. Even my daughter tried with her petite hands. My son tried, his hands are as big as a 6'5" athlete can be. The little mom out shined us all, and made it happen as if none of us even tried. (Of course, she didnt know that I loosened it for her.) PS.. I also dropped the dust cover for this down the inside fender by putting the cover on the top of the fender by the air filter.. My daughter retrieved that one.
So, I will have the wife try the Passat now and see if she can get that done, before I try pulling the entire head lamp unit out.
Idk about the Jetta, but I just did the DRL's on our Passat and it wasn't too bad and i have pretty big hands. It takes a 1/4 turn on the plastic piece that holds the bulb to pop them out. I just turned the wheel all the way to the inside to make room for reaching in.

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
Its funny how within months, I see post of users who have had similar issues than me. It makes me feel that it is a normal type of wear on the DRL for example, for our year and mileage. I dont feel my car is weird or I am not taking care of it. It also rules out that I got bad parts when I see others run in to the same hiccups.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
It's easier to pull off the grille and remove the entire headlight assembly.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
anyone have photos of what the LED DRL upgrades look like?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Well, what a pain.. I dropped the dust cover for the lighting unit and it is now lost in the bumper and could not get the build out of the socket. Any tips. passenger side DRL. Passat 2013 TDI SE..
I just replaced a filament type DRL (actually both) on a 2015 Passat. Let me share my experience.
There is a trap door inside each wheel well to gain access. Also, You can remove three of the fender liner screws to gain additional access. Like PS2TDI I dropped a dust cover and recovery through the fender skirt was a breeze.
The dust covers twist, not press on. Left to remove, right to tighten.
The bulb fixture is a pain to remove, but it twists left to remove. Once removed the Toshiba bulbs pulls straight out. I replaced with Sylvania 7440 bulbs. These bulbs must be slightly different at the base that the factory Toshibas. Hard as heck to get to click in. I finally applied some dielectric grease to the base and it popped in. Then the socket housing twists to the right (99% sure) to lock back in. Again kinda a pain. Just have to be patient.
Small hands are a plus. Facing to the rear of the car and reaching back may work for some, but it was easier for me just to reach straight in.
Initially I did not have the bulb seated (dang Sylvania part) and the bulb came loose and landed in the DRL housing! I was able to take a 24" piece of .25" fuel line and hook it up to my shop vac, stick it through the bulb hole and fish it back out as the bulb sucked up against the fuel line. :) Pretty ingenious on my part.
It was not as easy as one would would think, but it can be done. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I found it easiest to just disable the feature all together;);)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
To get at the DRL, turn signal and front side marker light it is far easier to remove the headlight unit. Especially if you are changing over to LED bulbs since if you did not plug them in, in the correct polarity, then you have to pull them out again one handed. You need to be a contortionist for that. While you're in there you can also get at the fog lamps.

I used an old towel to stand the headlight unit upright, pointy end down so I could plug the connector in and be able to see if the bulbs fire up.

Three self tapping screws hold the grill in place. Pull gently at the bottom of the grill. Then seven # 25 torx screws to remove the headlight assembly.
It's harder to figure out how it goes back, but not insurmountable.
If you go slow it may take you two hours.

jlh1960

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
It's a big pain in the rear to reach through the wheel well, and pulling the grille wasn't going the way I wanted to. I've been going with one working (I was able to replace that one) and one not. ... Got pretty good at using a vacuum attachment to retrieve the bulb when it kept falling in.

I'd recommend replacing the stock filament bulbs with LEDs and not have to worry about replacing it again.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
LED Bulbs blow too. Esp in hot weather, the housing gets hot. I have lost 2 LED bulbs in 2 years.
Also, you have go to into VCDS and turn off the Bulb check routine for DRL's. Otherwise the system pulses voltage to the bulbs, and increases the failure rate.

It's a big pain in the rear to reach through the wheel well, and pulling the grille wasn't going the way I wanted to. I've been going with one working (I was able to replace that one) and one not. ... Got pretty good at using a vacuum attachment to retrieve the bulb when it kept falling in.

I'd recommend replacing the stock filament bulbs with LEDs and not have to worry about replacing it again.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Also, you have go to into VCDS and turn off the Bulb check routine for DRL's. Otherwise the system pulses voltage to the bulbs, and increases the failure rate.
Do you happen to remember where you can find that setting with the VCDS ?
I already have my headlight bulbs set to full voltage from the dismal 12.6 volt.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
Do you happen to remember where you can find that setting with the VCDS ?
I already have my headlight bulbs set to full voltage from the dismal 12.6 volt.
My apologies. I just saw this message. Dont Remember! I will look this weekend and send you screenshots.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
Last edited: