2013 Passat Manual Transmission Clicking Noise

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
Hello:

My 2013 Passat with 6MT manual transmission makes an loud clicking noise when the car is in neutral and my foot is off the clutch. As soon as I put my foot on the clutch, no noise.

I took the car into the dealer, and of course the noise stopped. They said "it's the clutch, not warranty" if it comes back. It came back.

I don't think it's WEAR on the clutch, because the clutch feel is just fine.

Here is a video I took so you can hear the noise: https://youtu.be/_7Xz-xzBvwI

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
What's your mileage?

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I suspect they have misdiagnosed the problem. It sounds like a noise I've heard from several manual transmissions. When the clutch is engaged, even in neutral, there are a number of components rotating still in the gearbox. That's the noise you're hearing.

It might be normal, or it might be a failing bearing in the gearbox.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I don't believe that it's normal- my 6SpM does not make a different noise when either the clutch pedal is engaged or not.

My issue is different- Slave Cylinder Mount which creates "Clicking" noise when outside temps. fall below 49 degrees. The click is heard during the first inch of clutch peddle travel.

"These are my principles and if you don't like them...well, I have others" Groucho Marx

2012 Passat TDI 6MT

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It would be wise to inspect the flywheel to see if it is failing or another component is making contact with the transmission case.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
You can inspect the clutch some by using a good mirror and bright light through the starter hole with the starter removed. Mine was making a clicking sound, then a loud metallic swishing sound until the clutch failed stuck engaged. Here's what happened to mine when a spring on the pressure plate broke

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Hello:

My 2013 Passat with 6MT manual transmission makes an loud clicking noise when the car is in neutral and my foot is off the clutch. As soon as I put my foot on the clutch, no noise.

I took the car into the dealer, and of course the noise stopped. They said "it's the clutch, not warranty" if it comes back. It came back.

I don't think it's WEAR on the clutch, because the clutch feel is just fine.

Here is a video I took so you can hear the noise: https://youtu.be/_7Xz-xzBvwI
I just watched the video. Sounds eerily similar to the noise I had. Mine went away with the clutch disengaged as well. Definitely check into it soon mine only lasted about 100 miles like that. Good luck! Post your results!

Just a word of caution but I had very bad luck using a Single mass flywheel stage 2 endurance from South Bend clutch. It destroyed my transmissions steel synchros in 1 thru 4 after 5k miles twice in a row. South Bend claimed the clutch was fine but it definitely didn't work well with the steel synchros. Brass ones were fine in 5 and 6 as well as the brass one I installed in 4th after the first set. I ran across another club member with the same issue desperate for a solution. I know some people swear by the single mass flywheel setups but all I know is it was not compatible with the steel synchros. Brass seem to hold up fine though. I ended up sticking with the dual mass flywheel and a Sachs SRE Performance clutch. So far so good after 20k miles. Just some info in case you were looking to upgrade. My thoughts are that maybe older model year 02Q used all brass synchros and at some point they went to steel and they are too brittle for the vibration with a SMF. that would explain why some people have no issues and others have major problems. I haven't found anyone that has had their 02Q apart that has used a SMF to see if all the synchros were brass

Last edited:

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
Thanks all... I'm going back to the dealer and I'll make them PROVE friction material wear. I think if what happened to 767 is happening to me, that should be under powertrain warranty. Silly for a clutch to fail this soon.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Thanks all... I'm going back to the dealer and I'll make them PROVE friction material wear. I think if what happened to 767 is happening to me, that should be under powertrain warranty. Silly for a clutch to fail this soon.
I tried claiming it should be under warranty and they flat refused saying clutch was not warrantied whatsoever past a year or 12k miles if I remember correctly. Hopefully you'll have better luck! I recall seeing another one fail in the same manner somewhere on this forum

Last edited:

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
You can inspect the clutch some by using a good mirror and bright light through the starter hole with the starter removed. Mine was making a clicking sound, then a loud metallic swishing sound until the clutch failed stuck engaged. Here's what happened to mine when a spring on the pressure plate broke

Had the same thing happen in my '13. Made a case with VWoA and they split the cost for parts and repairs. Funny thing is I complained about the pulsating feeling in the clutch pedal when partially engaged, then the spring on the pressure plate broke. After the repair the pulsating feeling in the pedal was gone - the after couple weeks it came back. Knock on wood I have not had any problems since.......

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
When they take your clutch out, if the material on the face of the clutch is "normal", not all beat to crap, and its a broken spring, they should cover it. I don't see how you could break a spring on the clutch without severe abuse.

Premature clutch wear can be caused by poor driving habits, abuse, etc. (which can be blamed on the driver) which would wear the clutch surface and should be obvious when you see it. If that surface is good, it should be a good argument that you did not abuse it. Lots of people get hundreds of thousands of miles out of a clutch.

Don

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
Update for all those following:

Dealer has the car, they say it is the throw out/release bearing, but did not disassemble the car yet. Only "basic" diagnostics.

Not under warranty. I'm going run this up the pole and see what happens.

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
If that surface is good, it should be a good argument that you did not abuse it. Lots of people get hundreds of thousands of miles out of a clutch.
Agreed. If the friction is worn, I'll pony up and pay. But I've been driving stick for 15 years now, and never once killed a clutch.

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
Update: VW is reimbursing the dealer to do the throw-out bearing replacement under warranty.

Although I had to wait a while on hold to talk to a customer-care rep at the VWoA 800 number, when I finally got through the woman was very pleasant and clearly got it done within 24 hours.

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
Well 767Wrench, you were right. Needed a new clutch and the release bearing, since part of the pressure plate broke. I didn't get to see it.

It's great to have the Passat back, and the clutch pedal feels different/maybe lighter than before.

I'm glad VW stepped up and covered this without having to fight.

traveler103

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
VWOA would not cover my broken pressure plate with 40k on the car. All clutch components carry just a 12 month, 12,000 warranty. $2000 bill on that repair.

Glad to see you got it covered.

My list of repairs on this car:
2 turbos
Sway bar end links
clutch
driver's door lock actuator

Ugh.

pipewhiner

TDI
2013 Passat
Well my car just started this exact noise. I have approximately 78000 miles on it. I am also approximately 325 miles from home, just my luck. I hope it'll make it home and then it'll get parked and dumped in the parking lot of the closest dealer in November. Wish me luck

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
If it fails engaged you can start the car in 1st gear with clutch in. It will crank over and start rolling and it will take off. Then just shift with rpms and no clutch. Not the best but you can get where you need to go. If you have to stop completely though you'll have to shut it off and restart

pipewhiner

TDI
2013 Passat
Made it home safely, throw out bearing noise didn't increase much on the trip home. I haven't driven it since returning home, so hopefully the buyback will happen soon.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Made it home safely, throw out bearing noise didn't increase much on the trip home. I haven't driven it since returning home, so hopefully the buyback will happen soon.
No sooner than November at the earliest. ;)