Clock Spring Failures

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I think your responses answer this question but, does the steering wheel and/or airbag need replacing or is the clock spring a separate unit?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
First,

That one will definitely NOT fit anything other than a B6 Passat.

Second,

I would never ever buy a used clockspring. The one pictured is not locked in the dead center position and as a result it could be installed 360* out of rotation. I know, it sounds odd. But let me explain.

I don't know for sure the amount of rotation the clock spring has, but I believe it is 900* (2 1/2 turns) of rotation each way from dead center. Well, if you installed a clockspring that was "centered" at 360 of right rotation, you would only have 540* of right rotation, but 1260* of left rotation. And if you did a full lock turn (900*) to the right, you would tear the wires inside.

Geez I hope I did my maths right...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This is a very good point. I think it is possible to re-center the clockspring by turning it all the way one way, counting the turns, then all the way the other direction.

-J

butterme

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I have no idea why anyone would question what I said happened to me. I had my second broken clockspring repaired. My steering wheel is crooked now, but other than that I love my car.

Edited to add, I would never buy another VW product.

Last edited:

butterme

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Maybe VW should ban sales to long haired women? IDK??? All three of my daughters have long hair, and so do I. I thought VW loved hippy women? Maybe not so much???

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Okay, I'll bite and continue the thread.

I don't understand post #38. You have a failed (2nd) clockspring and have NOT had it rapaired? Your post is confusing.

As for long hair causing the clockspring failure, this actually makes some sense. The necessary space between the steering wheel and the mechanism could allow contaminants to enter the void. Curiously, though, hair hasn't caused an issue in any other vehicle that I know of.

Maybe VAG should put a sticker on the steering wheel, warning of the issue, and suggesting that "...neither the driver nor any passenger should ever comb/brush their hair while in the cabin of an NMS Passat...":rolleyes::D:D

Sorry, butterme, for your disappointment in your Passat.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
HOLD ON A MINUTE: I've got the answer!!!

So many NMS Passat owners are SO FRUSTRATED with their cars that they're...they're...PULLING THEIR HAIR OUT!!!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So we got the recall done on our car, and they replaced the clockspring. Unfortunately the dealer didn't recode the new module and now half the buttons on the steering wheel don't work :rolleyes:

I'll probably just fix it myself and let VW customer care know :eek:

-J

ashu

TDI
Passat 2012
Airbag light came ON yesterday, everything else works.

I have 3 recalls as well including one for airbag but nothing for clockspring.

ReallyBigAir

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Our 2013 Passat just had the clock spring failure. First, airbag light, then my teenage son noticed noise when he turned the steering wheel, then all of the steering wheel buttons failed. Called VW dealership, they told me the Recall had been previously performed, but the clock spring was covered by 120K miles extended warranty. Have appointment next week to get it repaired.