Chicago NW Burbs - Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 Quarts?

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Hi All,

It's time to change the oil in my Beetle TDI. I'm having trouble finding Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in quart containers. I bought a gallon at the local Wally World but am still short a quart. I checked the local AZ and they didn't have any (in qts or gals).

Any thoughts? BTW, I'm in the Woodfield Mall vicinity.

TIA, Dave.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I think I've seen quarts at Advance Auto Parts. I'm certain I've seen it at Autozone.

PepBoi is a big Mobil retailer. I can't recall what I've seen there. You could telephone and see what they have.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
If you have a Meijers local to you, they sell gal jugs for around $20 last time I checked.

My local Autozones seem to be discontinuing TDT.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Dave:

The last time I bought any in quart containers was at the Autozone in Lyons, IL. I have since picked up several 1 gallon containers from Walmart, but don't recall seeing any quart bottles there. Maybe Murray/O'reilly's carries it. You could also try your local Carquest store. Good luck on your quest! Let us know where you end up finding it.

Dan

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Hi All,

It's time to change the oil in my Beetle TDI. I'm having trouble finding Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in quart containers. I bought a gallon at the local Wally World but am still short a quart. I checked the local AZ and they didn't have any (in qts or gals).

TIA, Dave.
I'm confused. Why not go back to the same one gal container? Quart prices are more!

TDI
None
Yep, Meijer is the cheapest by us Bronco, $20/gal. Quarts run ~$7 at the local "auto-parts" aka light bulbs/oil/car washing supplies store. I've got more than an extra quart left over from my last change, $5 and its yours.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I went to Fleet Farm today and there on the shelf was quart bottles of Mobil 1 TDT and this store even had it available in a case of quarts. Plymouth, Wisc. So if you have simular type store, you might even find it. They even had Amsoil DEO on the shelf by the quart.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Bronco:

FYI, the closest fleet farm is out in Sycamore, as in almost to DeKalb. Can't say whether they have TDT in quarts though.

Dan

BioFuelsDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI/DSG
Amsoil

Hey,

I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything but next time maybe you should look into AMSOIL. I've extended intervals on my oil changes by 2K miles from 5K to 7K using this oil and using engine oil analyzers. I could extend it further, and I will, but the vehicle i drive now gets like 6K miles a year on it. They recommend changing it after 15K miles or one year, whatever comes first. In addition I buy NAPA gold filters, which are made by WIX and filter down to 25 microns.

My personal choice is their full synthetic blend oil versus what Mobil 1 and others are, partial synthetic. This is just my opinion and I'm not sponsored by AMSOIL or WIX, I just know I can trust it after a few years of using it and saving money on extended oil intervals. I hope to get my daily driver to the 15K or 1 year mark and just change filters every 5K. In the long run it equals less times on my back and less money out of my pocket.

http://www.buysynthetic.com/ I use this AMSOIL dealer. He is located in Carol Stream, IL and he can deliver your products to you or you can pick them up from the regional warehouse in Wood Dale, IL. Since your in Itasca its a town over from you which isn't far at all. The guy that runs this site is a former mechanic and does this in addition to his full time job. He has helped with a few car problems to. Real nice guy. Again, not getting paid by anyone here or being sponsored by someone just giving my personal experience on a great product.

Erik

Last edited:

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to find M1 TDT in quart containers at the AZ in Des Plaines (which happens to be on my commute to/from work). However, it was $8 (!!!).

ruking: I'm thinking I may just buy gallon containers from now on (Wally World or Meijer).

BFD: My Beetle sees about 6K miles per year as well and I may consider Amsoil since the warehouse is local to me. Thanks for the tip. My neighbor's son is the service manager at the local VW dealer. So, I'm sticking with OE filters since they're priced "right", so to speak (not that NAPA/Wix aren't good).

Ausgez: thanks for the offer, I'm sorry I missed out.

r0nd3L

TDI
2003 Jetta
I just bought two gallons jugs and have a lot of spare oil left.

I'm willing to sell it cheap or just have it go around local members who need to change oil now.

I would keep it, but probably won't need oil change again till next year.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Matas:

Where did you pick up the gallon jugs? I had to go to the Walmart in Downers Grave (Grove) to find it last time.

Dan

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Hi All,

TIA, Dave.
Quite often the local Auto Zone or Pep Boys carry the oil in quarts, but don't always display it with the other M1 shelves.
I"ve found it alone, separate, sitting on the top shelves of the "diesel stuff" cabinet.

traubenberg

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat (wagon)
I've had a hell of a time finding the 1-gal TDT containers anymore. Used to see them everywhere *before* I got my TDI ...then I got it and poof - no more. Then again, TDI isn't too popular up by me (Libertyville). Ah well.

Didn't think to check Farm n Fleet. There's one near my in-laws in Belvidere. (Which is closer to the OP than DeKalb, btw.)

TDI
None
Meijer in Bloomingdale has TONS of them, as well as the Wal-Mart in Bloomingdale on 53 and Lake.

I used to use AMSOIL when I worked at a dealership as it was dirt cheap compared to M1. That was years ago, I've contemplated using it again but I'm still investigating which type would be the best suited for my car...as there's so many different flavors of the stuff. Considering I change the oil about once-2x a year, its only a tad more expensive than M1...The warehouse being in WoodDale works perfect for me too as its on my way home....hmmmm.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Bronco, et al:

Sorry about the bad info on the Farm and Fleet locations. The only other one I am personally familiar with is in Ottawa, and I was pretty sure that was not the closest. Next time I'll check their website first.

Dan

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
No problem for me (^^) as I can get gallon containers of TDT at the local Wally Mart. Since quarts are going to be priced so high, I'll just get two gallons next time and go from there.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
The Farm & Fleet in Montgomery does not sell TDT. The Meijer in Oswego and Walmart in St. Charles has it in gallons.

Eric

unionamt

TDI
2006 jetta pkg1 DSG
check o'reilly auto parts for quarts of tdt, the one by me has them in gallons and quarts (algonquin rd and randall rd). it's more expensive there than at meijer though.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Meijer recently had a sale, $21 for a gallon of TDT. That's a deal! Y'all oughta stock up while you can.

Gee, BioFuelsDude, why does your post sound like every other one shilling Amsoil ever... does your local dealer provide you with a script to post? Their oils are fine but man alive the only thing more annoying than a scamsoil fanboy on a forum is one from Royal Purple! :O

Bronco648, you can also run many other oils in your aught one NB - Shell Rotella T6, Mobil 1 0w40 Euro, Castrol Syntec 5w40, Pennzoil Ultimate 5w40 Euro, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil AFL / DEO... don't just limit yourself to one admittedly excellent oil if you have trouble finding it.

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Bronco648, you can also run many other oils in your aught one NB - Shell Rotella T6, Mobil 1 0w40 Euro, Castrol Syntec 5w40, Pennzoil Ultimate 5w40 Euro, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil AFL / DEO... don't just limit yourself to one admittedly excellent oil if you have trouble finding it.
Yeah, I know. Up until this year, it's always been pretty easy to find what I needed at the local Wally Mart. It's so close, I can walk there and back within an hour. For some reason, they don't seem to stock quarts of TDT anymore (which caused my dilemma). The Beetle sees very little use during "warm" months as I commute on my scooter or motorcycle. This year I started riding in March and expect to get thru November. So, the Beetle sees daily use December thru February/March (depending on temp.). That means ~6K miles per year. So, I change the oil once a year. I know I have alternatives, I've just never really investigated them since I knew TDT was a great choice (I'm lazy that way). Perhaps it's time to look into alternatives that are readily available in my immediate vicinity.

BTW - welcome back.