Windshield washer no spray, and washer tank has a leak?

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
So, this is how the story goes...... I get into my 02 jetta and start er up. I notice the windshield is dirty so I go to give it a spray. It sprays as normal and I spray quite a bit more to get all the dirt off. After it's pretty clean I give it one more quick spray to get rid of a few streaks and no more spray. I hear the pump going but nothing is coming out. So I say F### it an drive away. About 30 seconds later the low washer light comes on. I think thats odd because I just filled it up about a week ago and have not used it since. So after returning home from wallymart, I go and fill up the empty washer tank. I notice it is leaking from below at a slow but steady stream. While it is still full I go and try to spray the windshield, nothing but pump noise. So I leave again and about 20-30 seconds later the low washer light comes on again. So, my question is why? and how is this fixed? Here's what I know so far...

-The washer tank has a leak, it is not from the sides of the tank where I could see from just looking down on it.

-It started very suddenly, one second I had spray, the next I did not.

-The washer pump does work.

I have not had any time to take anything apart and look but has anyone had this happen? I tried search with no found posts with this problem.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
IIRC the pump just plugs into the washer tank with a grommit (sp?) Perhaps the pump is slightly pulled out?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or that grommet is starting to or has failed. It isn't a really great polymer compound and they start to die after a couple of years.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Mine did the same thing, although the motor kept working. I opened the motor and found it to be all corroded inside. Replaced that and the grommets and everything was good as new.

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
where did you get the pump and grommets? was it pretty easy to get to? I will play with it on saturday when I try to do the skid plate.

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Just an FYI to those who have the windshield washer tank leak. Yesterday I pulled the reserviour and noticed the problem right away. Coming off of the washer pump is a 6" corragated (sp?) hose. This then goes to a soft rubber coupler, that connects is to a hard plastic tube that brings the washer fluid past the fuel filter. The soft rubber coupler has become stretched out and the pressure from the washer fluid blew it off. I pushed it back on pretty hard. After I put it all back together I filled er up, and it worked for about 10-15 sec and the same thing happened, it stopped working and leaked out all the washer fluid. So I pulled it again, and used a bit of super glue, problem solved. I went through a gallon of washer fluid and it did not blow off or leak. The most expensive part of fixing this was all the dam washer fluid I went through.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
On my ride in this morning I discovered my windshield washer pump isn't working (Front -or- rear)? Have yet had a chance to pop the hood to see if the well is dry, but did check fuse #28 (15 amp) and it looked good.

If what happened above has happened to me too, this would impact both the front and rear, no? The same pump operates the front and rear?

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Tickbait said:
On my ride in this morning I discovered my windshield washer pump isn't working (Front -or- rear)? Have yet had a chance to pop the hood to see if the well is dry, but did check fuse #28 (15 amp) and it looked good.

If what happened above has happened to me too, this would impact both the front and rear, no? The same pump operates the front and rear?
What happened to me was that I could hear the pump working, it was just spraying all the washer fluid on the fuel filter. The pump itself never failed.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
one.nine said:
What happened to me was that I could hear the pump working, it was just spraying all the washer fluid on the fuel filter. The pump itself never failed.
Roger that. I just went out and checked my reservoir and it is full. All my connections are on and tight. I checked the nozzles and they don't look cruded up, but even if they were I think I would still hear the pump?

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
Forgot to mention, I checked the fuses in spots 24 and 27 (42 is a blank on A4's?) and both are good. Also, I opened the hood and attempted to see if I could hear the pump - nothing. No spillage on the ground either.

Am I SOL unless I want to have the dealer attempt to diagnose this? I read through 030 pages of posts on the same thing and it sounds like from some contribution from Bentley that about a half a dozen factors could contribute to this even after checking what I checked (relays, pump, etc.)

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
you should hear the pump as soon as you pull on the washer lever. If you dont hear it I'd start there. Pulling the reserviour and replacing the pump is a 30 min job start to finish. all you need is a 10 mm socket and a phillips head screwdriver.
1-remove fuel filter from bracket.
2-remove fuel filter bracket.
3-Remove plastic nut holding in washer reserviour.
4- you can pull the pump out and disconnect the other wires on the reserviour.
5-repeat steps in reverse order. done.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
That doesn't sound too bad. Damn, if I had the tools on me here at work, I would do it now. Probably makes sense to run out and pick a new pump, no?

P.S. Thanks for all of the feedback!

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
F.Y.I.

From the Autozone website.....

Windshield Washer Pump for a 2003 Volkswagen TAAP 5-955 $29.99 Fits front and rear

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
Go figure, tried the windshield washer on the ride home and it worked fine?

I will leave good enough alone for now, pending another occurance.