Bentley Service or Repair Manual, same?

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Similar. I believe Bentley uses many of the factory manual pictures and diagrams, but fleshes out the procedures for the DIY wrench... sometimes with success... sometimes... eh...

FWIW, I have and have used Bentley manuals for: BMW E36, VW B3 and B4 Passats, MINI Cooper, and my VW A4. I have also used the dealer technical CDROMs for the Passat and BMW (covers the MINI as well), so I know much of the info in the manuals is duplicated from the dealer info. The big difference is Bentley will sometimes try to substitute the VW/BMW specific tools for more common versions, unless it is not readily available. And the manuals are generally easier to navigate/thumb through.

For comparison, I also have dealer services manuals for my '90 Ford van. I have to admit, the detail of the Ford dealer manuals makes the Bentley manuals and VW & BMW CD's look like jokes. Service and diagnostic procedures are described so much better... Granted, you pay for this level of detail in both size (four volumes to cover the body/chassis, engines-mech, engine-electrical & vacuum and engine-emissions) and money (even purchased well-used off Ebay, they were not cheap).

Last edited: