Quick question on Transmissions.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I have an 200 Jetta TDi Manual. I am looking at a 2002 TDI Automatic. If I was to buy the Automatic will the transmissions just swap out or is there a lot more to it? Just wondering how hard it is to do I guess. As always Thanks in Advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Swap what to what? Lots of people have done manual conversions on cars originally cursed with an automatic, yes.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Swap what to what? Lots of people have done manual conversions on cars originally cursed with an automatic, yes.
I was thinking of buying the 2002 Automatic and swap my 2000 Standard into it. But only after my 2000 gets to the point of rebuild. Not sure when or if that will be but I can get the 2002 pretty cheap. And it has a lot lower miles than my 370k mile 2000.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Yes, you could do that. Is the 2002's transmission bad?
Well no it isn't bad at this point. I will most likely drive it as is until either my old 2000 Gives out or that tranny gives out. I really like the 2002 it is my favorite color. White........It isn't a GLS like my 2000 but My heated seats went out years ago on it. Almost burned up the car and it burned my wife's coat she was wearing. I just took out the fuse which is also the Cruise control which I never use anyway.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Search on "boertje 01m swap" and you'll get a document that will tell you everything that would be needed for a swap.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Thanks for the help guy's I went to look at the car today and passed on it. It had a new timing belt on it and sounded Ok but, It had like 1/3 rd the power of my other Diesel. Transmission seemed to shift pretty hard when down shifting also. The CEL was on,The Brake system light was on the Anti freeze bottle looked like the wrong stuff in it, the Seat belt light was on when it shouldn't have been and it also had 4 bald tires and started real hard in 40 Plus degrees out. Passing on it was my only choice.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Having a "new" T/B does not mean it was done correctly. With everything else you noted, it probably was done wrong and/or there is hidden valve damage.