Horrible mileage drops on 2004 Jetta TDI - What could be the problem?

betaRepeating

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI Wagon (5 Speed Manual)
I have a 2004 VW Jetta Wagon TDI (I believe this is the MK4 PD engine). There are about 130,000 miles on the car. The car was given to me by my parents a few years back as I finished up college. For the most part I have driven it only on long trips to and from college (roughly 2 hour highway drive). Recently, I have been using it primarily to commute to work (roughly 10 minutes highway drive).

I have been fairly careful to chart and record the mileage of the car. Attached is a graph of my mileage over the past two years or so.

At my last fill up I measured a MPG of nearly 35 miles per gallon. I am very concerned at the apparent huge drop in the mileage of the car. Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be?

Some more details:
I consider my driving habits to be decent, if anything they have become more conservative over the last 6 months or so. I have been reading information on hypermiling, coasting more to lights and trying to be more mindful of my efficiency. I wouldn't characterize my driving style as aggressive, though I do drive fast (80mph average on the turnpike for the aforementioned commutes to and from college). My dad tells me he used to average 44-48mpg with the car when they first purchased it used from the dealer.

I purchased Power Service +Cetane Boost Diesel Kleen Fuel Additive in August of 2014 and have been pouring random amounts into my tank when I remember to do so. I haven't measured the amounts but it's been roughly 8oz per tank. I am almost out of the first bottle and I'm about to start on my second one.

My last tank (the one that got me 35mpg) was about 50% biodiesel, from some small supplier near me. I also added some diesel kleen and then some water-removing additive (I think the name had Dr in it, I can look at the bottle when I get home tonight). I have read that biodiesel is less energy dense fuel, so perhaps this caused the dramatic MPG drop? Nonetheless this doesn't seem to explain the constant downward trend.

I change the oil with some regularity and I have checked my tire pressure recently and it is fine. It has been in the shop twice in the past two years. The first time I hit a pothole with a huge chunk of asphault in it. This was in the winter, around December of 2013. I lost power steering and my engine stalled out, so I limped it into a parking lot and had it towed. The damage was a busted oil pan, and some steering damage which was corrected. In November of 2014 I was struck from the side by a car while turning, just behind the gas cap on the passenger side. The car was ruled a total-off by insurance, but I liked the car so much I bought the salvage title back from the insurance company and paid out of pocket to have the repairs done at a local body shop. He pulled all the dents and replaced a few rear panels, and had to do some work with the rear axle to get everything driveable again. Other than oil and a timing belt replacement at 110k miles, I have performed zero service or maintenance on the car.

Any thoughts as to why my fuel economy is dropping so much? It's frustrating to deal with and really starting to bother me. I've always been proud to be hitting 44+ MPG but now I'm worried that something may be wrong . Thanks for your time.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
1. Too much additive kills FE.
2. Bio looses FE.
3. Short trips.
4. Brakes dragging? Check PB cables.
5. Turbo could be on its way out, less boost, more fuel. (excess smoke)
6. Torsion value could be off from the TB job. Loss of FE.

Lots of things.

betaRepeating

TDI
Thanks, but I've only run the biodiesel in the very last tank. The mileage drop has been happening constantly over the last two years.

Also, could there be issues with the air intake clogged? I recently came across videos of how to clean that and was thinking about doing that. I know my driving habits have changed, but I feel like it hasn't been so dramatic as to cause this huge downward trend.

I will check the brakes. Is there an easy way to test the turbo or the torsion?

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
You could check/change the air filter and fuel filter just to make sure of things. And check the intake to see if it's clogged. A lot believe that "babying" a car tends to build up gunk on the intake. So check it and see if it needs cleaning

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Air restrictions and opening thermostats could explain the trend you are seeing. I think if it was dragging brakes or misalignment, the drop would be immediate and not continue.

Check the air filter and coolant temperature, as well as the intake manifold.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
opening thermostats could explain the trend you are seeing.

Ahh I forgot this one!! Yes check to see how long it takes your car to reach operating temps. Don't believe the needle in the dash! hook up a scan gauge, VCDS, or any OBD monitor to check. Some auto stores will loan out their OBD reader

betaRepeating

TDI
Thanks for the responses all, I am a newbie to all of this stuff (hence the lack of maintenance and posting in this forum) but I will go do some research and investigation this weekend and post updates in this thread.

I appreciate having some places to start.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Local driving is a mileage killer. So is using AC, low inflation on tires and a cold engine. Ten minutes is about what it takes to warm up in summer.

So when you say zero maintenance you mean you've never changed the air or fuel filter? I never use fuel additives unless the temps are slated to drop into single digits and you have to be careful where you buy your fuel. I would not fill up with Bio-D. BEW injectors are precision devices with tiny galleries, not truck nozzles. It takes a lot of crafting to create diesel out of bio-oils. If it's not stable you can get oxidation and polymer reactions that gunk up your engine and fuel system. According to at least one source blending with ULSD makes the reaction even worse. So, you think you're saving the planet but really buying a headache for yourself.

About the oil changes; 505.01 VW spec 5w-40 or Jiffy Lube special out of a 55 gallon drum? Wear on the cam from non-spec oil is reported frequently enough that it's a known issue. Even the little warning label next to the hood latch doesn't keep people from pouring non-spec in if it saves a few bucks.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Nothing wrong with bio-diesel as long as it meets spec. It's not in your tank long enough to oxidize, and I've stored some over winter and had no issues burning it in the spring. I've got over 100k miles with B100 on both my ALH and my Jeep CRD, which is common rail, with no fuel related issues.

As a matter of fact, I get better mileage on B100 than ULSD on my ALH, about 2-3 mpg better when I specifically tested it 2 years ago.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard

Also. I'm sure you know this. But fuel up the exact same every time. Don't stop when the pump clicks. I've squeezed in 1 more gallon past the pump clicking off. Let the foam settle for a minute. Then slowly dribble gas in till she's right at the top. Some people don't recommend this. And if you're doing this right before parking it might not be the best idea. But if you drive a few miles after topping it right off like that to burn some fuel and leave room for expansion in case of temp changes you will be fine. Been doing this for years with no problems and get very accurate mileage numbers that way.