Wheel Bearing Bolt Torque

MakingBoost

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen Manual
I'm doing some work and need the torque specs for the bolt that holds the front wheel bearing together to the driveshaft. In all the cars I've worked on this is a nut. Not sure why VW uses a bolt? :confused:

Turboneon1997

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6sp Man.
Depends on what bolt style you have. Sin e you have an mkvi I will assume you have the new style. That bolt is supposed to be replace after removal. The torque is 70nm plus 90*

MakingBoost

TDI
Depends on what bolt style you have. Sin e you have an mkvi I will assume you have the new style. That bolt is supposed to be replace after removal. The torque is 70nm plus 90*
Thanks but I don't think that is correct. I found a service manual which specs the bolt to 200 N-m (148 ft-lbs) and then 180 deg.

Turboneon1997

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6sp Man.
Thats for the old style bolt hotrod. Go ahead and torque a new style bolt that high. See what happens If it is a 6pt bolt the torque you mentioned is correct. If it is a new style 12pt bolt it is the torque I stated above.

MakingBoost

TDI
52 ft-lbs????? Yea, I don't think so there slappy! Yes it is the 12 point head and there is no way it was torqued to 52 ft-lbs + 90* or even 180*. Car has only 4k miles so the bolt was not frozen. Had to bone down on 1/2" breaker bar with a 18" extension pipe to break it free, and I'm not a small guy.

Torqued the new bolt to 150 ft-lbs + 180* without a problem. Over 400 miles no issues to date. If the wheel falls off I'll ask to have a link to this thread on my tombstone! :D

Turboneon1997

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6sp Man.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121788

Scroll down a bit you will see where it calls for 70nm plus 90*

when I did mine I used alldata which also called for 70nm on the 12pt bolt and the torque you listed on the 6pt bolt.

But since you know better than VW on what the torques on their stretch bolts you do what you will. I hope your wheel bearing lasts.

The different torques of the bolts are due to the stretching of the bolts. They can stretch differently. I have torqued both styles to both torques, and there is an obvious difference in the way the bolt stretches

PS how do you like your downpipe? and how hard was the install?

MakingBoost

TDI
I hope your wheel bearing lasts.
Over 17k miles on the car and no problems with the wheel bearings. :D

PS how do you like your downpipe? and how hard was the install?
Downpipe and tune is awesome. You can feel more exhaust vibration through the car which I don't care for, but that is far offset by the MPG improvement, TQ, improved drive-ability and increase 'fun-factor'!