After a bottle of Stanadyne my 09 mileage drops

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Quick Question:

After using a bottle of Stanadyne on a full tank of diesel on my 09 jetta with 7k miles the mileage is really crappy only 150 miles pn the half tank mark and the engine sounds like running high but i have to say that i put
the whole 16 oz bottles by mistake.

So not sure if that's the issue, I wonder if anybody else had this issue before.

The Stanadyne bittle shows "Formulated for ULS"

Im thinking the mix is to rich on Stanadyne since is the first time using it on the 09, I was using it on the 02 TDI with no issues.

Any light on this issue.

Thanks

Julio

Omaha is being very cold for the last 2 weeks that's why i'm using it .

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Jettawolfs98 said:
but i have to say that i put
the whole 16 oz bottles by mistake.
So not sure if that's the issue,
Yes. 4 ozs per 15 gallons for the regular stanadyne, and 2 ozs per 15 gallons for the "winter 1000" product is the correct quantity.

Last edited:

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
lupin..the..3rd said:
Yes. 4 ozs per 15 gallons for the regular stanadyne, and 2 ozs per 15 gallons for the "winter 1000" product is the correct quantity.
Wow so I put a lot lot more than the normal ratio.:eek:

Mmmhhhh should I fill the tank again to lower the ratio?

I hope the engine is not having future issues because of this.:(

Thanks for your input.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I would lean it out, I would say you got a #1 fuel fill up, thats why the fuel mileage took a dump, hopefully its not related to the super tune up you did with the fuel.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Jettawolfs98 said:
What could be the consecuences of either one?
Why don't you finish burning through this tank, then fill up with a proper tank of #2 diesel with no additives. Then you can tell us. :)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Going excess on the additive should have no harmful effect, except for emptying your wallet just a little bit faster ;)

It is possible that with it starting to get colder in the midwest, the blends of fuel you are getting are either starting to be winterized, or being winterized "more.", meaning less thermal content per gallon which directly translates into less MPG.

I wouldn't sweat it and drive on and see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if you notice the lower MPG for the rest of the cold season.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to another gas station and filled the tank again, feels like the car is back to normal and from the gas station to our house the car ran fine.

I know that during the winter we loose a couple of mpg.

Since our drive is not very long every day only 40 miles both ways our mpg is the normal 38 to 40 mpg, which is fine for us.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Jettawolfs98 said:
Since our drive is not very long every day only 40 niles both ways our mpg is the normal 38 to 40 mpg, which is fine for us.
x2 what dzcad90 said... If my geography is correct, you had a few days of extreme temps last week. And during a 20 mile commute it's likely the motor never reached full operating temp. I drive a 33 mile commute with 80% expressway and still can't get the motor to full temp when ambient is single digits -- and the difference in MPG is substantial.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
I personally have no data to substantiate this, but I know it is a long-standing 'received wisdom' that you really can't use too much additive (in terms of hurting anything). One of these days somebody needs to confirm this by filling up with Stanadyne (ka-chingg!). It's mostly diesel, anyway.

Dusty Sidewinds

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have been told that there is in fact a down side to adding too much Stanadine to your fuel. It will produce small droplets of asphaltane in the fuel and enough of them can begin to clog the fuel filter. Asphaltane is asphalt or tar.

No other negatives that I'm aware of.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Jettawolfs98 said:
mileage is really crappy only 150 miles pn the half tank mark
Half tank is ~7 gallons, so you're getting ~20mpg? 16oz of Stanadyne isn't going to cause this drop: something else is going on.

Are you doing a lot of stop & go driving? Do you have a consistent method for filling? Diesel foams a lot, if you just put the nozzle in and fill at full blast, you'll have 7/8 tank of fuel and 1/8 tank of foam.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
MayorDJQ said:
Half tank is ~7 gallons, so you're getting ~20mpg? 16oz of Stanadyne isn't going to cause this drop: something else is going on.

Are you doing a lot of stop & go driving? Do you have a consistent method for filling? Diesel foams a lot, if you just put the nozzle in and fill at full blast, you'll have 7/8 tank of fuel and 1/8 tank of foam.
After re-fueling in another gas station the problem went away so I guess a bad batch of diesel was the guilty of the weird act.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
If you ask VW they tell you DO NOT use any additives in the new 2 litre TDI. My dealers mechanics say the same thing. I believe you can cause damage in the exhaust system, not so much the engine. This goes for Stanadyne.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I think that's a lot of poppycock:eek: There are many additives available that are just fine for the new 2.0 that are specifically made for use with ULSD. What do you think a VW mechanic is going to say if it says not to use it in the book:confused: It's just a CYA so they say I told you not to use it:p

There are way to many people using additives for many miles with no adverse effect...just be prudent in making your decision of which additive to use. Stanadyne, PowerService, Opti-Lube and many others will be just fine. I agree that the main reason they want to be cautious is due to the emissions system and has NOTHING to do with the engine itself. Buy the RIGHT additive and use it as directed and you should be fine.

Dive more...worry less;)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Gee...VW and other manufacturers ask for a diesel fuel lubricity "scuff rating" (HFRR) of 460. (lower is better) EPA, thumbing their collective noses at the manufacturers request, mandates all US diesel fuels have a minimum scuff rating of 520. (EU diesel is in the low 400s.)

Opti-Lube XPD lowers the scuff rating to 317, Stanadyne 479. Both are ULSD compliant.

I know which additive I'm going to be using.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
tdiatlast said:
Opti-Lube XPD lowers the scuff rating to 317, Stanadyne 479. Both are ULSD compliant. I know which additive I'm going to be using.
Has off-the-shelf (i.e., commercially released) Opti-Lube been independently tested yet? The only report I've seen was a test on a sample provided by the manufacturer before it was available for sale. Lord only knows if they're selling the same stuff that was tested back then.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Doctor...your point is spot on and until someone does a new test, we will never know. One can only assume that they are one in the same until a new test proves differently. If the manufacturer is a person of high integrity, then we all have nothing to be concerned about:rolleyes:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
rotorhead23 said:
If you ask VW they tell you DO NOT use any additives in the new 2 litre TDI. My dealers mechanics say the same thing. I believe you can cause damage in the exhaust system, not so much the engine. This goes for Stanadyne.
Do you have a written response from VW telling you not to use additives in the 2.0 TDI? Please ask your dealer mechanic for documentation from VW to back up his statements.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
DD,
Does this study (August 2007) have any value, in your estimation? They state that the study was paid for by the manufacturers of the additives, except for Amsoil and PowerService, who chose not to participate. They were included in the comparison, paid for by "diesel enthusiasts".

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
Plus 3 Golfer said:
Do you have a written response from VW telling you not to use additives in the 2.0 TDI? Please ask your dealer mechanic for documentation from VW to back up his statements.
Actually, the service manual recommends standyne in section 20-4 for fuel gelling.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing more clear than that statement "Sometimes a couple of drinks can make you see a little more clearly"