BEW Upgrades - PD150 Intake/EGR - How to get the ASV back?!?!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey Guys,

I just installed my VB, and PD150 intake/egr/airbox/maf/tip. I guess I really had no idea just how different the ARL and BEW are.

The issues I ran into:

BEW has 4 coolant hoses going to the EGR cooler. ARL has 3.
BEW has 2 Vacuum lines going to the EGR/Intake: "flapper" on the intake and ?? Is the second for the ASV? Is it for the? One thing is for sure, it is an electronically controlled EGR Valve.
BEW has smart actuator on turbo (I knew this, luckily ;) )!

So, now I have a bunch of questions and was hoping that people could help me out!

Let me explain where I'm going with the project/tune. I am going to delete the EGR, however we have visual inspections here in Vancouver, so I need it in place. So, I'm gonna keep the cooler in there with the coolant connections, but with a block off plate at the exhaust mani between it and the EGR pipe. Should I put a second one between the egr valve and the pipe there?

I need to get the ASV back, but ovbiously it cannot be controlled via electronics on the ARL intake/EGR (or can it?!?!?). Should I buy some vacuum sensors from an ALH and go that route? Can you tune the ASV to use vacuum instead of electronic control? I can't stand that my car diesels on for a second after I turn it off, and I am scared of a run on/away.

The vacuum hose that operated the flap on the intake on the BEW - what did that do? Do I need it? Can I use it for something else?

I have all sorts of CELs on my car, but I haven't run them yet with VAG-COM (will in a couple of minutes; I'll post back here). I know this is normal, and I will get a bunch of them deleted via tune (smart actuator, MAF), but is there something serious I have overlooked by unplugging all this stuff?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and wisdom. What a resource this forum is!

Cheers,
-Chris

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Engine Scan

The VAG-COM scan is exactly as expected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Monday,07,December,2009,14:56:11:56110
VCDS Version: Release 908.1

Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Control Module Part Number: 038 997 016 L HW: 028 101 114 6
Component and/or Version: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 3791
Software Coding: 0150031
Work Shop Code: WSC 91417 999 85787
4 Faults Found:

19558 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): No Signal
P3102 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 198.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.62 V
Bin. Bits: 00001100
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Torque: 110.0 Nm

16791 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low
P0407 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Lambda: -5.1 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 1000.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Bin. Bits: 00000000

18996 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit: Signal too Low
P2564 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Absolute Pres.: 183.6 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1009.8 mbar

19557 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Open or Short to Ground
P3101 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 11.78 V
Bin. Bits: 00101100
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Torque: 110.0 Nm

Readiness: 1 4 0 0 0

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I would talk with your tuner of choice and talk with them about the possible fixes/choices.

I would talk to Ed and see what he has had to do to pass inspections with his Bora, his is nothing close to stock, and has been able to get tags for it.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
So the BEW "intake flap" or ASV is electric while the ARL is more "old school" like ALH and is vacuum operated?? Did I get that right?

If so, just use the ARL EGR and run the vacuum to it like on an ALH car. It goes to the N18 valve if I remember right. It's been a while since I've had a vacuum operated flapper. I'm not sure if BEW/ALH N18 valves are the same. I keep calling it N18 but if I'm wrong don't shoot me on that. It's the "N75 look-a-like" just to the left of it...

Then, with the ARL injectors installed, your tuner should be able to use an ARL base map to start with, I think... Overall, you should really discuss these things with Mark as to what he can and can't do.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Farfromovin said:
So the BEW "intake flap" or ASV is electric while the ARL is more "old school" like ALH and is vacuum operated?? Did I get that right?

Overall, you should really discuss these things with Mark as to what he can and can't do.
Yes the BEW asv (V157) is electronically controlled only , the switch over "in the intake manifold flap" is vacuum controlled by the N316 switch-over valve.

Ding Ding Ding.;)

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I will definitely contact Mark about this. I wasn't trying to get outside info on the tune stuff, more info about the physical lay out! I do not have a euro wiring diagram for the ARL - probably something I should invest in!

Philip, you are right with your comment, except the BEW doesn't have an N18 because it is electronically controlled (new electric controller is called G212). As OC mentioned it has V157 for the ASV, which is electronically controlled (instead of the vacuum controlled N239 in ALH and ARL engines).

I still have the question: what the hell is the flapper on the intake mani for. I mean the ONE IN EACH of the four openings where they meet the head? Do they serve as a throttle? Or are they they part of the ASV system? Can I use the vacuum hose from that for the ASV on the ARL EGR? Holy, enough 3 letter acronyms?!?!!?!

I need some help physically setting up the vacuum lines, then hopefully Mark can take it from there!

Cheers guys,
-Chris

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys, I've done some more digging into this by studding the parts diagrams in etka. The BEW has ANOTHER flapper, this one in the EGR cooler itself. This flapper in ONLY vacuum controlled, and is done so by a "solenoid valve". The part number for this valve is 1K0906283A, which as far as I can tell is the same part number that the ARLs N239 has been superceeded to. So, this vacuum line should be able to be used for the ASV, which is really good news! Now I guess Mark and I just need to figure out if the BEW software can be remapped to treat it as such!

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm not done with the yet, but you've been really helpful.

Does anyone now what the flappers on the head side of the intake manifold do? I'd really like to know!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey, OC, I made a bit of an erroneous statement in my first post (which I have now edited). We don't have province wide inspections as I had previously stated, they are only in the "greater vancouver" area. Ed won't have any "Aircare" tests or inspections to pass in Victoria at all. So that won't really apply! Thanks for the thought, though.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
BEW=
On the intake manifold:
Intake manifold flap with motor for intake flap-V157 "ASV"
EGR vacuum regulator solenoid valve-N18 "EGR controller"

On Fire wall "black bracket" from passenger side to driver side
Intake manifold runner control (IMRC) valve N316 the book also list this as N239
EGR cooler switch-over valve N345
Wastegate bypass regulator valve N75

I would talk to Mark about running the N316 to the ARL asv and the N345 to the ARL egr. Then have them written to control their new parts. If you plug these in before tuning you might have running issues, since a stock tune will try to adjust the manifold flaps while driving.

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
OC, thanks for your continued help.

The intake runner control is actually N156. But my question is what does this ACTUALLY do?!?!?!?

I have PM'd Mark to help more.

Thanks again,
-Chris

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The book I have indicates this:
"The ECM commands the N239 to switch the vacuum supply for actuating the intake manifold flap in the intake pipe. This stops the shuddering when the ignition is turned off."
If this correct you should be able to plug it into your ASV and go. Worth a shot.

The book calls it a N239 but aslo says right next to it (No such thing). So you are probably right on the N156.

I am currently working with my new ASV. Fortunately my SDI intake ASV uses the same plug to control it.:) I am currently figuring out how I need to rewire it to make it function. On my previous setup I ran no manifold flaps (capped them off at the solenoid, IIRC they didn't through a code) but used the motor driven flap. The car definitely shut down faster with the motor driven flap, compared to now with it unplugged. So if the motor driven flap does it then I would venture to say the flaps help it.

Sounds like your car is coming along nicely, can't wait to see it. Have you made it to Jorry's GTG in the summer? I can't seem to remember if we have met.

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey Everyone,

Firstly, thanks for OC for all the help. I just want to update people on where this is at, just in case someone else needs this info in the future.

I tried plugging in the Vacuum hose that was running to the flap in the EGR cooler (N345 "EGR cooler switch over valve"), and right away I noticed better start up and shut down.

I then tried the N156 but my crazy shudder on shut down returned.

Please note this is without ANY modification to the ECM at all.

The only other thing I can note is that the "solenoid" used for the N345 (VW P/N (1K0906283A) is the same as the superseded P/N for the ARL/ALH ASV.

So any way, I am going to get this fine-tuned by Mark, but this works, and my car doesn't shudder like an old tractor when I shut if off now!!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
OK, this is what the three actuated flaps on the PD (BEW) do:

The throttle assemble has 2 functions: The throttle closes as more EGR flow is called for by the ECU, creating a slight manifold vacuum. The vacuum is bled off as the EGR valve opens to allow more exhaust (than would normally) flow into the intake. The PDs have a VERY high EGR flow rate. The throttle also quiets shut down, just as on the ALH. May help prevent run-aways if the turbo fails. This device is electrically actuated.

The "variable intake runner" flaps are soley there to aid exhaust gas mixing (and possibly keep the intake cleaner by preventing as much soot depositing) with the air charge by increasing intake gas velocity on light load operation. They close on light load ioperation, restricting the intake, thus increasing gas flow. They can be locked in the open position for optimal performance. This is vacuum actuated.

The vacuum valve flap in the EGR cooler is the EGR cooler bypass flap and below a certian engine coolant temperature exhaust gas bypasses the cooler when the flap opens, and goes directly into the intake, uncooled. As the engine warms up, the exhaust goes through the cooler to make it cooler to lower NOx emissions more. You can not use this vacuum to operate a vacuum operated anti-shutter valve. When the engine warms up, vacuum is applied. Not on shut-down, like the ASV. The switching solenoids may be the same, but that is as far as it goes. Vacuum actuated.

--Nate

JRedig

TDI
BEW
18996 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit: Signal too Low
P2564 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Absolute Pres.: 183.6 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1009.8 mbar
Do you have any idea why this code came up as a result of your mods here?