VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

VWV

TDI
TDI wagon - 2004 - Silver
Question.
For my 04 Jetta wagon I've seen lots of talk about Vag Com but what about this one.
http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm
I keep getting engine light on, especially in the winter and I'm tired of having to take it to the dealer to clear it.
Has anyone tried obdcom and compared it to Vag Com for the more simple requirements.
Thanks

Promaz

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 4DR
Looking for my OBD connection

Hi i have a 2003 Jetta TDI and i was looking for my OBD connection but can't find it, someone told me it could be in the back of my radio is that possible ? thank's for the reply.

cosminwon

TDI
Passat B5.5
Hello!I have a question to the masters of diagnostic procedures!I have an 2002 1,9tdi Passat and the fuel injected quantity is too big.(8,5-10,3mg)With vds-pro,i read the standard value an its 32768.To modify the injected quantity i must change this value.If i raise or decrease this value,nothing happen and the quantity its the same.Do you have any ideea how i can decrease the quantity?Thank you!

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
I own a '09 Jetta TDI and as far as I can tell the Micro Can should work for me. Is there any reason why I should consider the HEX USB CAN?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If you are positive you will never have an older car, and you do not want to help other owners, then you will never need it.

If you want to occasionally help out other users, spend the extra $50 and get the more flexible cable.

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
I'm a newbie to VCDS. So far, I am communicating with the ECU and I want to start simply and carefully messing around with this thing. For starters, all I want to know how to do is to disable DRL and prime the fuel pump. Sorry if this is too basic but can anyone tell me how to do those two things? Thanks! --Ken B.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm a newbie to VCDS. So far, I am communicating with the ECU and I want to start simply and carefully messing around with this thing. For starters, all I want to know how to do is to disable DRL and prime the fuel pump. Sorry if this is too basic but can anyone tell me how to do those two things? Thanks! --Ken B.
Here's lots of info on VCDS tweaks for a MKVI car.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4743553-VCDS-MKVI-MK6-Platform-Handy-Coding-tweaks

Have Fun!

Don

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
Thanks Don! That was very helpful and answered many of my questions. I still don't see anything about using VCDS to prime my TDI fuel pump. From what I understand, the newer TDI models don't prime simply by turning on the ignition but somehow, with VCDS, that important job can be done. Any tips on that? Thanks again-Ken B.

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
I believe I found my answer on turbodiesel.com. According to info there, to prime the fuel pump on my TDI, I need to select 01-Engine, select 03-Output Tests, and run the sequential output test for at least 60 seconds and do that 3 times to insure a fully-primed fuel pumps. Does that sound like a good procedure? Thanks-Ken B.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
In the output tests you can choose which pump to run, and run either the lift pump or the aux pump. I would run the lift pump a couple of times using this method (have to go key off between runs, I think and start over), then I would go to basic settings #035 which runs both pumps at the same time, for several iterations.

That way you fill the filter canister, then remove any air from the aux pump, prior to starting the HPFP.

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
To disable DRL, the menu was a little different tha I expected. It started off exactly as I expected however by first selecting 09-Cent. Elect., then 07-Long Coding, and then the Long Coding Helper. The next screen that appeared had the bytes listed horizontally, again as expected, so I clicked on them one at a time until I saw their sub-menus. I was looking specifically for a reference to Daytime Running Lights and didn't see that. What I did see was called something like "Permanent Running Lights via low beam" and that was under byte 85 about half way across. When I unchecked that box, I believe byte 85 became byte 81 and the DRL's turned off so I knew I did it right. I wish this car had true daytime running lights and not something that just turned my low beams on all the time.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
So, I haven't needed to use my vag-com in a while...and since last use I wiped my only windows laptop of M$ completely, and I have been a happy suse user since. So, is there any support for Mac or linux out there? I think my only option is running the program under wine, but I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this problem, and how you did it. Thanks folks
You may want to try Virtualbox.

windigo

TDI
none but looking
HI all,
My ross tech will not log on to the engine ecu... it use to...
I can get on abs and airbag but not
engine. Could this be caused by a bad 109 relay? car is a 99 bug tdi... It just died
going up a hill and the check engine light went out... turn the key and no check engine light... everything else lights up... engine spins but no start... no power to shut off solinoid with key on.
where is the 109 relay?
thanks
jeff

Last edited:

windigo

TDI
none but looking
HI all,
I can not log on to the engine with my ross vagcom. It use to work... I can log on
to the abs and airbag but not the engine. my check engine light is not coming on
when I turn the key to test. Could a bad 109 relay cause the ross not to read the
engine?
thanks in advance
jeff

windigo

TDI
none but looking
Hi all, I googled 109 and it linked to this site. It looks like I have the old black 109 relay with 239K on it.... new grey one on order...
later
jeff

99turbo

TDI
1999 golf TDI
Anyone now why my 99 TDI would first start to chug between down shift then when coming to a stop rev up to full throttle on its own and then stall??changed fuel filter thought maybe water in fuel or air leak??Also lots of black smoke when it revs up and stalls???

windigo

TDI
none but looking
Hi all,
Replaced the 109 relay and now I have check engine and glow plug lights and it runs....
So if your vag com will not log on to the ecm you might want to check your relay...
later
jeff

jonypasat

TDI
B5 TDI 116CV
Vag+CanOBDII

hi all,i have the VAG+CAN OBDII and i need help on understanding some codes am getting from fault codes recorded on the ecu. (1).00953.. interior lights (2).01329 system data bus in emergency mode.(3)00930 central lock rearleft
F222 wrong equipment (4)00914 window regulator switch rear left,Driver E53,implaus.signal.(5)00915 E53 with the same saying.:confused:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I'm borrowing VCDS from a friend of mine and I hooked up to my laptop but it wont load the software. It looks for and successfully loads the driver software but says it's waiting for user input. VCDS screen doesn't load up on screen so what am I missing here? Did I skip a step? I'm using Windows Vista btw.

Any help much appreciated...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm borrowing VCDS from a friend of mine and I hooked up to my laptop but it wont load the software. It looks for and successfully loads the driver software but says it's waiting for user input. VCDS screen doesn't load up on screen so what am I missing here? Did I skip a step? I'm using Windows Vista btw.

Any help much appreciated...
First, I'm going to assume that your friend has a genuine Ross-Tech interface cable.

You first install the software (current version is 10.6.4) WITHOUT the cable plugged into the computer. After the program is installed it will install the USB driver (I am assuming it is a USB cable). AFTER the driver is successfully installed, you plug in the cable. It should then find the Ross-Tech interface and initialize the driver. After all this it is finally time to try to start the VCDS program. The first time you run it it will complain that it can't find it's configuration file. You must click on the "options" button and then test the interface (test button). After the interface is successfully found, you click "save" to save the configuration and then VCDS should work. It is important to do these steps in the correct order.

Have Fun!

Don

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Got it to load and followed the Windows Vista instructions on the ross-tech site. Problem is that my computer doesn't follow the same trail that they show when it comes to installing the driver. When I plug in the cable it installs the driver "successfully" but when I go to Test in VCDS it doesn't find the driver.

I will now uninstall everything and reinstall. And, I called ross-tech. They would not help me as I am not a registered user. That's great customer service.... I am not happy at all. I'll stick with tdiclub for help since I am a registered user on here.

Sebastian

Vendor
If it is a genuine interface VCDS would recognize it properly - what type of device does it show in the Windows Device Manager? Since VCDS does not recognize it chances are it is either a fake or a 3rd party device. Also, have you read the instructions/faq regarding 3rd party hardware?

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3

It might be as easy as having the wrong software installed (VCDS vs. VCDS-Lite). ;)

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/index.html

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Also try to have the VCDS program running when you plug in the cable. If that does not work, open and close the program a couple of times.

It was pretty strange (read frustrating) the first time with my new Windows 7 machine, but eventually it just started working.

Sebastian

Vendor
VCDS doesn't care if the interface is plugged in at the time you start the software, nor would opening or closing make a difference (especially not "a couple of times"). ;) The only time VCDS checks for the interface is when you connect to a module (either directly or via Auto-Scan for example) or perform the interface test (see options).

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Sebastion,
I do not doubt your statement, about your program.
However, the windows operating system has repeatedly not identified the cable, despite having the drivers loaded, unless the VCDS program was running. This is only on the first use of the cable on a machine.

I cannot show why, or how, this is so.

I can, however, definitively state that this has happened to me several times when using the cable and program for the first time on a particular machine. It is very aggravating.

The order of connection seemed to be the key item that I changed as I tried to get the entire system to work.

After the first use, the order is not a factor; everything works fine. It is only the first use that I have seen any problem.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
I called ross-tech. They would not help me as I am not a registered user. That's great customer service....
We do have great customer service; three people whose full-time job it is to answer customer's questions; two of them are VW factory trained and worked at dealerships for many years.

However, we consistently decline real-time help on the phone to anyone who isn't a registered user because it would not be fair to to keep actual paying customers waiting while we help people who are not registered users.

-Uwe-