Tdi won't restart I'm puzzled

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I drove my 03 to the store left it running, came out and it had shut off. Temperature outside was roughly 29F. All filters are got less than 5k miles, check fuel filter and surroundings components, can't find any issues so far. I tried restarting, nothing. I cranked for 10-15 seconds and got it to start but died immediately. So towed it home.

Bajan

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Any CEL's?

Which vehicle has all the mods you have listed in your signature? Is it the car you have trouble with?

I had a no-start recently, with a CEL of P0727 - crank sensor. I pinched the connectors together and the car fired right up, no trouble since. However I did order a new OEM sensor.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Any CEL's?

Which vehicle has all the mods you have listed in your signature? Is it the car you have trouble with?

I had a no-start recently, with a CEL of P0727 - crank sensor. I pinched the connectors together and the car fired right up, no trouble since. However I did order a new OEM sensor.

Yes it's the wagon with the mods, and no CEL. Glow plug light works as it should as well.

Bajan

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Check all the fuses? May seem obvious, but gotta ask.

Any recent work on the car?

Where are you located? I'm from Wisconsin, so City of Champions means Green Bay to me - but not so much this year.... :rolleyes:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Check all the fuses? May seem obvious, but gotta ask.

Any recent work on the car?

Where are you located? I'm from Wisconsin, so City of Champions means Green Bay to me - but not so much this year.... :rolleyes:

Yes I check all fuses while waiting for tow.
City Of Champions (617) Boston south shore .

Bajan

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Gelled fuel? (it's the season).

Fuel was treated with PS white bottle, I was 500 plus miles into the last fuel up. I check for gelling, I removed the filter drain it and refill and still no start . No bubbles in clear line plus I have a lift pump installed to help with priming issues.

Bajan

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Are you getting 12v to the fuel shutoff valve on the inj pump.
Try cracking the 17mm nuts on the injectors while you're cranking to see if fuel is reaching the injectors.
Maybe check the static timing....just to rule that out.
It's very unusual for these tdi's to just shut down while idling on a relativly warm day.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Are you getting 12v to the fuel shutoff valve on the inj pump.
Try cracking the 17mm nuts on the injectors while you're cranking to see if fuel is reaching the injectors.
Maybe check the static timing....just to rule that out.
It's very unusual for these tdi's to just shut down while idling on a relativly warm day.

We're having blizzard conditions today so hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to check the shut off solenoid, Crack the injectors lines, and swap out computers, plug in vcds see if I get any codes.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Ok this morning I drained fuel filter, refilled and tried starting. After cranking for 5 seconds or so it fired up and idle fine. I notice the glow plug light flashing constantly which is a new issue. After idling for 5 minutes the car shutdown as if I turned it off, no stumble or anything just turned off.Hmmmmm ? Something weird going on.

Bajan

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I guess the crank sensor behind oil filter needs to be changed or the wire jiggled going to ecu

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I guess the crank sensor behind oil filter needs to be changed or the wire jiggled going to ecu

I'll check the connections and test the sensor tomorrow. I'm also wondering if I got that code for over cranking the engine in a no start condition and something else could be wrong. I'm sure it not fuel related though, so that narrows things down somewhat.

Bajan

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm experiencing the same problems with the G28 sensor. I must have disturbed the now fragile cable when I changed my t-stat recently. It's been OK since this past Tuesday after bending the cable. Hopefully tomorrow I can change it if the weather improves; the new sensor arrived yesterday.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I'm experiencing the same problems with the G28 sensor. I must have disturbed the now fragile cable when I changed my t-stat recently. It's been OK since this past Tuesday after bending the cable. Hopefully tomorrow I can change it if the weather improves; the new sensor arrived yesterday.

Ok I was able to narrow things down to the engine speed sensor, took it out clean it car finally started, so I'll order a new one. While in that area I noticed I have a leaky oil cooler seal so will be replacing that as well.

Bajan

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Ok so I have an update.
Yesterday morning we had some beautiful weather for roughly 5 hours lol. This is New England so you better take advantage of the opportunity and I did.
I installed a new engine speed sensor cause the old one was broken where the o-ring seal to the block. Also replaced both seals on the oil cooler, now I'm leak free. I attempted to start car got quantity adjuster codes, so I thought that's strange. I was sure my injection pump weren't the problem. I decided to swap ecu's and Walla , it's alive again. All codes gone and engine purring like before. I inspect the ecu I removed and noticed water dripping out of it , unbelievable because that's my ASV-RC5+ so I'm bummed.

Bajan