Malone Stage 2 W DSG

chgofirefighter

TDI
2011 VW Golf 4 Dr
Today after driving 3+ hours from Chicago to Wisconsin to meet up with Kevin from Wisconsin Diesel to perform the Malone Stage 2 software upgrade with DSG tune, it was worth the drive. Sadly, apparently my ECU had already been upgraded or tampered with (software wise) with the previous owner. Don't know exactly what was done, but Mark from Malone stated that whoever did the previous tune did it incorrectly, it was running too lean, etc. No wonder I never experience the true MPG's that many were talking about but anyway all that is fixed now. Well, the drive was all worth it. :rolleyes: My 2011 Golf TDI runs smoother, shift very timely, has plenty of torque. Upwards of 300 hp and the engine is at around 170hp... Wow, I felt like a speed rocket coming back to Chicago, had a chance to fill up my tank before leaving Kevin's place, set up my odometer and I drove almost 200 miles from Wisc to Chicago and I barely spent any gas. MPG's were 42+ and this is not having my DPF removed, downpipe and new exhaust installed "YET" I will get the remaining project done by the end of this week.

Previously if I broke 35 mpgs on the highway was a lot... But then again the ECU was tampered with so that maybe be a perfect reason as to why my car was not giving me the desired MPG's. Well, I was impressed with Kevin's knowledge, professionalism. So if you are ever in the Wisc vicinity give kevin a call and do this tune & DSG, TRUST me that you won't be disappointed!

Now after my exhaust and other goodies get installed, I am seriously considering a new turbo (CR 170) but with time... ;):D Overall I am very happy~

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
...had a chance to fill up my tank before leaving Kevin's place, set up my odometer and I drove almost 200 miles from Wisc to Chicago and I barely spent any gas...~
I never burn any "gas"! ...Fuel, now that's another issue. :)

Congrats on the tune. Will they just charge labor to add the DPF software later when your gaseous byproduct plumbing is re-worked?;)

chgofirefighter

TDI
2011 VW Golf 4 Dr
I never burn any "gas"! ...Fuel, now that's another issue. :)
Congrats on the tune. Will they just charge labor to add the DPF software later when your gaseous byproduct plumbing is re-worked?;)

Yup, sorry... "Fuel" that's the proper word, I'm not running gas, in fact haven't run a gasoline car in the past 5 yrs or so... :rolleyes: except my motorcycles of course :D

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I am seriously considering a new turbo (CR 170) but with time... ;):D Overall I am very happy~
I compare the Malone Stage 2 with car makers offering an "S" model, but along with getting more power - we're also getting better fuel economy. What's not to like?

I also considered a turbo upgrade, but I think the additional cost would never be recovered, would lower the car's resale value, and put reliability into question.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Thanks for the kind words! For those that are interested, the car had been tuned by the previous owner, but we didn't know it until I discovered the ECU had been opened and not resealed, plus solder on a few pins. Whoever did that tune deleted a bunch of maps and had completely disabled the EGT limit. Not smart. Runs fantastic now though!! :D

chgofirefighter

TDI
2011 VW Golf 4 Dr
Thanks for the kind words! For those that are interested, the car had been tuned by the previous owner, but we didn't know it until I discovered the ECU had been opened and not resealed, plus solder on a few pins. Whoever did that tune deleted a bunch of maps and had completely disabled the EGT limit. Not smart. Runs fantastic now though!! :D
I give credit where credit is due! ;) well, I now have the CR 170 need to get all the parts for install and hopefully that will put a smile on my face, well a bigger smile at least

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
So you can do the DSG and engine tune before you do the exhaust with no issues?
Yes, if you keep the stock exhaust function with the new tune. Exhaust can be installed at a later date along with an ECU reflash to account for it.

In chgofirefighter's case, he and a buddy were going to install the new exhaust themselves to save some money, so the car was only driven a few days between getting the tune and installing the new exhaust.

WISVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Wow! You will be there awhile I bet. If you are anywhere near Green Bay, I would love to ride/drive your completed car. :)

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Nahhh! 4 hours, start to finish, including the test drive. :)
Exactly, I took a short nap on the couch in the waiting room at DieselDubs and I had a new car:D

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Nahhh! 4 hours, start to finish, including the test drive. :)

Kevin... Just wanted to say thanks for your hard work on my car.... It drives awesome. Was able to pick up 5mpg on the way home. Tell your dad thank you as well. If I had the additional cash, I would of had you put on the muffler too.