1.4 tdi tuning and engine choices

puchfinnland

TDI
vw fox
Hello,
Mike from Finland,
I just bought my new project-a vw fox wagon(in USA)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5949900-FS-Clean-and-sorted-88-VW-Fox-GL-wagon
I am moving statesid this summer....
I seriously want to swap a 1.4tdi in, it will not be a walk in the park...
I note-
custom oilpan fabrication,must clear the crossmember due to starter moving to the right side,
custom mounts for left side of motor,
maybe the right also.

then to get the thing running...

QUESTONS!!!!
I am hunting for a motor, or even a complete donor car- I have found in finland

what unit should I be looking for? I have heard some have better turbos with round exhaust flanges.

what all will I need to take from the donor car?
im figuring the instrument cluster,
the coded ign lock setup?
the complete harness and computer
the alternator
as much of the AC as I can get
intercooler
radiator -why not
the fuelpump in the tank
the cat, and parts of the exhaust

dont need powersteering, do want to keep the A/C as its hot in Baltimore Maryland.

Im not so concerned about HP- but if I can find a 90hp, and get a comfortable 100 out of it and better mpg-its worth the investment.

I am a trained mechanic, so I am fully aware of what i will be up against.

a wrecked 1.4 polo,engine is toast, but the ECU,harness ,exhaust downpipe, AC compressor, may be avail.

a used motor guy has a 90hp version sitting in the warehouse an hour drive from here...
Or I just drive into DE, and go to a wrecking yard and remove as much as i need.

I got 3 months to obtain my lump- I am willing to buy from a forum member

also how difficult will it be to get this in to USA?

PLEASE HELP with advise!

mike

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If the car originally came from the US, getting it back will be simple, ostensibly even with the modifications done to it out of country.

Depends on why you want the 1.4 (as opposed to anything else). If ultimate economy is your goal, why not a 1.2 from the 3L Lupo? 1.4 TDIs are plentiful on eBay.de, made all the more simpler since you're already in the EU.
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1.4+TDI+motor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Do the mods in Finland and have the car rolling before bringing it back to the US. Shipping the engine and doing the mods here might be more expensive and problematic.

Last edited:

puchfinnland

TDI
vw fox
thanks- I have been looking at ebay.de

the car is in USA, I am in Finland, I come back with a container....now that motor wants to jump in there.

how difficult it will be to slip it in? I dont know
someone must know the loopholes in doing this,
maybe I split the engine into a few parts, and different boxes.
it is a genset motor-right???

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Oh in that case then I guess an engine in your container of personal effects should have no major problems... :)

One could make the excuse that it's to build a genset... :D

puchfinnland

TDI
vw fox
im looking at the rpms and the final drive- fox 4:11 I think a 3:79 was avail, but would need to get even lower to be correct. I have a hunch aircooled vw ring and pinions may have some family relationship

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
There are lots of top notch car harvesters in DE. Like this one in Sauerland sells on ebay, has own website and facebook page. Some nice videos on facebook showing harvesting cars done to perfection. Most of these outfits sell on ebay as well. So you can find others.

http://www.kfzdemontage.de/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Klassen-KFZ-Demontage-Ltd/308685752481785

Might be worth checking with some of these places for a 1 stop shop. I am in the north, so feel free to PM me if you need any help. Hopefully you wont be charged crazy duty to bring parts temporarily back to suomi.

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Would work out nice with the gtc1444vk volvo D3 turbo, 150hp should be no problem with pd130/150 injectors. turbo should make 1.8 bar from 2000 rpm without issue. good manifold would be from afn or some sdi with one leg cut off. I have a gtc1444 lying around if you want it..

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
quite small turbo that one =) dunno how reliable it will be when mapped

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
use 02J gearbox from ibiza/polo ecomotive/bluetdi, can easy do over 300kph with those, they have really silly long ratios.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Audi 01A should fit with some "encouragement." TDIs ratios available too.

Install a US-sourced BHW TDI, otherwise do some creative parts bin-diving like this project: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=330544.

Unless you have an absolute need for a 3-cylinder TDI in there, you're only adding more to the complexity and grief of your project. If fuel economy is of the utmost priority, there are many things that can be done to the 4-cylinder TDI (along with super tall gearing) that can get you quite close.

Edit: if your motivation for a 3-cylinder TDI is ultimate fuel economy, forget anything but the 1.2L engine from the 3L variants of the Lupo/Audi A3/Seat Arosa. You're going to dump the manu-matic transmission anyway.

Last edited:

puchfinnland

TDI
vw fox
thing is I should not be so greedy for fuel economy.
the 3cyl is a better fit then a 4cyl-its shorter, lighter, easier to install radiators,A/C, intercoolers because there is now that front location.

with the 4cyl everything must be on the side.

virgin unpicked ATL's are not easy to find- there is a 36k mile 1.4 75hp still in the car in poland avail-doing my best to contact the seller.
no avail

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
mike, looks like from the info out there the bhc is probably interchangable with the atl, since it came later after the amf. Maybe get the bhc+lump and then pick up just the additioanl atl motor if a good deal shows up.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Mk3 gearbox with the newer shift linkage? I have a box in my shed that someone has bought to fit in their polo 1.4 3pot tdi. The ratios are way better for a tuned car. It ran 195/50/15 tyres and did something like 80mph at a 2500rpm I think it was. It was the seat cordoba vario with the AGR engine. But yeh, had similar ratios to the mk3 but with the mk4 linkage set up.