a6 2.5 tdi ael hard tuning!

Lasseliten

TDI
A6 -96
not nice...
maybe your engine was in bad shape from start?
I dont know how the state of the engine should have something to with one of the main bolts unwinds, breaks of and have a meeting with one rod with the result of a big hole in the engineblock.

sorin_gyo

TDI
audi a6 c4 2,5 tdi AAT
Hi C4 owners !!

I have an Audi A6 C4 R5 2.5 TDi AAT engined.

So far, only mod was a chip-tune I made on my own. Turbo is K14 stock.
I can tell from this experience that the car is very good, probably around 150hp with barely no smoke. Smooth spool-up and very progressive up to 4500rpm. I can push the tuning a lot harder... because there´s still a great margin for improvement here.
By looking at the fuel and turbo maps, it is clear that "hardware-only" mods to fuel are not the best option, because there are limitations in the stock program that will limit the new hardware potential. Specially in fuel delivery.
A lot more can be made with chip-tuning.
MSA-11 tuning is very old-school, but still, great improvements can be made.

I have an issue though : My car always blows a slight haze of smoke at idle. Probably unburnt fuel (IP timing is correct by vag-com). When I stay long-time at idle and then I take off, the smoke becomes more apparent, sometime very visible.
Probably worn nozzles ? I still have the stock 0.205 nozzles. 234.000km.
If I do a long trip I see no smoke at all. But idling for a long time... iech.... :(
Oil consumption is about 1 liter@5000/6000km
No coolant changes.
Made a compression test : All cylinder between 29/30 bar.

Any ideas ?

i told you before, to check turbo seal, for oil leak, or the valves seals, but you don't listen, you keep asking about oil consumption:))

i so hard to take that head out?:D

HF1600ie

TDI
AUDI A6 2.5 TDi Avant AAT 1995
i told you before, to check turbo seal, for oil leak, or the valves seals, but you don't listen, you keep asking about oil consumption:))

i so hard to take that head out?:D
I did listen to you !! I looked at turbo, there´s no shaft play (up/down or in/out). Also, the Oil breather line from the sump to the oil separador line is clean. The turbo oil return pipe is good, and oil flows back.
The intake is clean, there´s no oil other than normal from oil breather system. So I think it´s normal.

I have to finish next weekend the piston compression test. 2 more cylinders to finish and so far I have bettween 29 and 30 bar in all 3 tested cylinders. Car was semi-warm. Are these good values ?

I could take the head out, maybe... but I don´t think I would be experienced enough to fix anything.

Don´t know, I am pointing to injectors now or maybe diesel pump.
can´t fix anything in the head :rolleyes: or rings, or valve seals...
Probably advancing the pump will help, but vag-com says it´s already just a little too advanced. :p

Lasseliten

TDI
A6 -96
I did listen to you !! I looked at turbo, there´s no shaft play (up/down or in/out). Also, the Oil breather line from the sump to the oil separador line is clean. The turbo oil return pipe is good, and oil flows back.
The intake is clean, there´s no oil other than normal from oil breather system. So I think it´s normal.

I have to finish next weekend the piston compression test. 2 more cylinders to finish and so far I have bettween 29 and 30 bar in all 3 tested cylinders. Car was semi-warm. Are these good values ?

I could take the head out, maybe... but I don´t think I would be experienced enough to fix anything.

Don´t know, I am pointing to injectors now or maybe diesel pump.
can´t fix anything in the head :rolleyes: or rings, or valve seals...
Probably advancing the pump will help, but vag-com says it´s already just a little too advanced. :p
It would be better if you started your own thread instead of hijacking this thread. No offence, it would be better for everyone especially you

HF1600ie

TDI
Absolutey right my friend.

To the owner of the thread...please accept my appologies.;)

It would be better if you started your own thread instead of hijacking this thread. No offence, it would be better for everyone especially you

ZAMP

Veteran Member
TDI
vw
I think the owner/moderators of the forum would be the ones to sort this one out

quattroelstad

TDI
audi a6 c4 2.5 tdi-S quattro
good idea about the 2.5 5 cyl diesel tuning forum:)
by the way, is a new exhaust manifold with better flow a must?
is it a bad idea to run with the stock one?

ZAMP

Veteran Member
TDI
vw
good idea about the 2.5 5 cyl diesel tuning forum:)
by the way, is a new exhaust manifold with better flow a must?
is it a bad idea to run with the stock one?

I wouldnt worry about the manifold being a problem,'shadowmaker' on here has had 281bhp with it(maybe more?)

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
5cyl TDI section would be nice... :D
I think there are quite some people interested in this and IMHO many more will follow!

quattroelstad

TDI
okey, wont be changing exhaust manifold then. but i assume it is a must to upgrade the MAP sensor if running up to 1.5- bar.. what sensors have been used to this kind of tuning??

ZAMP

Veteran Member
TDI
vw
Has anyone sent a message to a moderator regarding opening a 5 cylinder section on the forum?

quattroelstad

TDI
Where to mount WG? Where the egrvalve is stock, or just blend that, and make a pipe bletween exhaustmanifold and turbo and put it here, and than i can have the EGT here too??

K7ERG

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 3.0tdi quattro
I used the egr outlet on ex manifold for my external wastegate pipe. I have my egr blanked off inlet manifold side and removed egr valve. I have a screamer pipe off the wastegate.

zolion

TDI
2.5TDI AEL Quattro
I have AEL 260hp/ 480nm
GT2260v setup

low EGT max 850"C
and zero smoke:)
Hi!

How did you do this?
I spent a lot of money to my car, but I got only big black smoke. :)

My parts:
- GT2260V with pressure ball
- bosio R520 II (7 holes)
- modified ECU program
- original Intercooler

Could You explain your configuration?
I'm very depressed. I've thought I'll buy 4.2 petrol engine with LPG set. But I hate the petrol's and the LPG's smell. :)

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Looks like the main reason for your smoke is bad nozzles. Use dss ultime 2 instead and smoke disapears and output power rises. :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
5cyl TDI section would be nice... :D
I think there are quite some people interested in this and IMHO many more will follow!

I think I lost your email.. quite not much power with all that fuel and boost =s

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
I am using a SBC clutch (as far as I know it is an upgraded clutch kit for the S4 model), that is performing quite well, no slip, no funny noises. However the pressure plate is heavy duty so I need a lot of foot power (and I see now that also a new cylinder).

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=4898

Some pictures of what I am using

The problem is the SMF that is not very forgiving, it make the car very rigid when changing gears.

Maybe you could try a sachs performance kit for the SMF (maybe a S4 clutch disk + power plate) or if the power/torque is not so high, a DMF with an upgraded pp and disk.

I think I lost your email.. quite not much power with all that fuel and boost =s
I thought you were on holiday, or got tired of problem e-mails :D
I sent you a new e-mail. About the power - I must think something is missing or is not right... I am also confused but I cannot leave things like that.

Last edited:

HF1600ie

TDI
I have a question...
My engine is AAT with K14 turbo.

- Is the turbo factory set to 1 bar on wastegate calibration ?

I am asking this, because in my remap, I am asking 1,3 bar. The ECU show´s 1,3 bar requested in vag-com, but in reality, it peaks at 1,3 bar at 2300 rpm and ... boost starts going down right after to about 1 bar at 3000rpm. And it tries to mantain this boost after.

So, it doesn´t sustain 1,3 bar. :(

Electronically, i don´t see any limiter limiting my boost. And the proof is that the requested boost in vag.com is exactly as per my request.

Any idea ?