Timing Belts

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Find a different mechanic - the only shop manual worth using on these is the Robert Bentley Publishers one, and it says to replace everything in the timing belt path, along with a few one-time use bolts in there. ;)

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
gsxr1k said:
What's your guys opinion on the importance of changing the guide roller and tensioner or water pump when doing the timing belt. My mech's online shop manual doesn't recomend changing them with the TB. I have 80K on the tdi. He figures they'd be fine till the next change (160K). Is there anyone who've had the items go out and damage anything? Wouldn't you hear those bearings going bad or have a leak from the water pump before anything actually failed?
That will be ok only if you don't mind paying 3-5k for repair or replacing your engine and head. Always replace the rollers, tensioner, w/p along with the belt. I have seen and heard of many engines failing because someone only replaced the belt or didn't replace it at the specified time. You can't just tell by looking either. I have a belt off a 03 tdi 102. miles and a belt off 06 jetta with 95k miles only show a little wear. Looks can be decieving, these parts can fail without warning causing major damage. Like the man said find another mechanic. Do a search for someone in the TDI club in your area and ask them who does work on tdi's. Good luck with your car, it will last you a very long time with proper maintenance.
Steve

Jason4

TDI
2012 Golf
VW has a history of ambiguous timing belt intervals. I think the idea is to change it at the 90k service and if that wasn't done then definately do it at the 100k service.

Jason

vergoin

TDI
06 jetta, 09 sportwagen
I hit 80k on my 06 jetta and going to go with owners manual at 90k after pricing it dealer over $900 with new water pump.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
vergoin said:
I hit 80k on my 06 jetta and going to go with owners manual at 90k after pricing it dealer over $900 with new water pump.
Contact JasonTDI here on the forums (he's up in Madison) for your timing belt change needs. Heck, for ALL your TDI needs:D

DO NOT GO TO THE DEALER

MiksTDI (spelling?) does TDI work too, he's in Chicago.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
vergoin said:
Thanks for the info, I'll try to find mikstdi
If you can't get ahold of him, contact JasonTDI. Whatever you do do NOT go the dealer. You'll pay more and very likely end up with engine damage, might happen during the 12 month/12K mile warranty, might not. It's a $3,000 gamble + downtime + headache.

Drewelsjd

TDI
2006 jetta
06 jetta brm motor 88k time to change belt

This is my 1st post, so I hope I do it right
It's about time to change the timing belt.
And it's been awhile since I've done one.
I've assembled the parts and tools that I
Think I'll need (belt,h2o pump, tensioner,
Small idler. Bought the crank lock, made
The 2 pin/Allen tensioner tool. Should not
Have bought the giant green 2 piece of
Angle iron camshaft tool thing. Simple to
Make if really needed. So now my problem.
I don't have a manual and seek brief
Set of instructions, if available somewhere
on the site. Help finding would be appreciated
My last belt change was on a 98 tdi, that later
Went on to drop a valve at 115k due perhaps
To an injector tip falling off so I'm told.Thanks
Steve Drewelow

bbmd

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta, reflex silver; 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen, white gold
2005.5 TDI with BRM engine code timing belt change interval

I'm still confused as to whether the timing belt in my 2005.5 Jetta TDI with the BRM engine should be changed at 80K or 100K miles. Documents that came in my owner's manual says to check it at 80K and replace it at 100K and the vw.com website for 2005 model year cars (there was no option to select 2005.5 model year) also says to check it at 80K and replace at 100K. However, as has been mentioned, the 2006 TDIs should have their belt changed at 80K miles and my dealer says I should change my 2005.5 car's belt at 80K miles. The kit sold by dieselgeek.com indicates that the BRM engine's timing belt is to the changed at 100K miles. So what really is the answer, folks? Is there any concensus in this regard? Thanks.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I ask every BRM owner I can where they are at mileage-wise when they are changing (buying) their timing kit and almost all are just under 100k. As of yet I have not heard of anyone breaking a BEW/BHW/BRM belt before 100K (They all use the same belt, roller and tensioner.).

That's not saying it doesn't or won't happen.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
BKC (European version of BRM) owner's manual says replace at 120'000 kms. I've checked the part numbers of those 100k mile TB kits and they are exactly the same as mine on BKC. So, I guess, the right interval is 160'000 kms not 120'000 kms as indicated in the manual?

donutman

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 spd.
Loud knocking noise 2006 tdi

Just turned 96,000 and had oil changed 2 weeks ago. Today started a very bad vibration in clutch pedal and a loud knocking noise coming from center of engine seems to be behind oil filter. Noise goes away at 1200 rpm or above or seems to go away. Original timing belt. Looked at it and it looks ok. Could it be a cam or lifter. Did not pull the cover.

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
I have a gates powergrip timing belt i'm about to install on my A5....it has no directional arrow on the belt......does this mean it can be put on in either direction....or clockwise in the direction of the writing on the belt....thx

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
New, unused timing belts are not directional.

If you ever remove a timing belt and intend to reuse it you must install it to run in the same direction it ran previously.

Hobbes22

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 2006, Red
I guess I will be looking for a trusted TDI mechanic sooner than I originally planned.

Following is the response from VW on the manual stating to change the timing belt at 90,000 & 100,000 miles in the '06 owners manual:

Dear Mr. Peter:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding when the timing belt should be replaced in your New Beetle TDI and the error you found in the maintenance booklet.

The timing belt for your New Beetle should be replaced at 80,000 miles at the latest. I appreciate you bringing this concern to our attention. I have gone ahead and documented your feedback and will be forwarding this concern to the appropriate department. Feedback like yours allows us to continue to improve ourselves so we can provide an unmatched ownership experience.

Updates to the maintenance schedule can be found at your local Volkswagen dealership. I recommend keeping in contact with their service department, their friendly and knowledgeable technicians will be able to update you with any changes to the maintenance schedule.

If I may be of future assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If I am not available, one of my colleagues will be able to assist you. In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Nick Firis
Ext. 43541
Customer CARE Advocate

It's amazing I get a new page for my owners manual regarding maintenance interval on a sunroof drain but not on something of major importance like a timing belt.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
Autobahn in Ft Worth is going to charge me a grand to change the timing belt.
That seems a little steep (TIC) ... no regular scheduled maintenance should cost that much for one item.
<sigh!>

oh ... my owners manual says to replace the TB at 80K miles (all models) ... then the 90K service says TB (TDI Only)

So ... I went with the 90K miles.

... ION ... I hit a coon last week ... busted the intercooler! now I'm trying to arbitrate/negotiate the dealer's service estimate w/ the insurance adjuster's vector! UUGGHHHH!

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
MTBR244 is in FW and does a lot of TDI belts for less than the dealer Ima guessin'.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
MTBR244 is in FW and does a lot of TDI belts for less than the dealer Ima guessin'.
Steve Glover (mtbr297) does great work and is located on the west side of Fort Worth.

I recommend him.

There's a couple other places as well in Tarrant County that can to a better job and at a lower price than Autobahn.

-Chris

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Thanks Chris and Jim. Yes I am substantially cheaper the autobahn 775 parts and labor, out the door. I replace all stretch bolts, I use Motul antifreeze, and I even replace the tensioner pulley stud as well. Jim, what are stealthy steel wheels?

thekid

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 180k, 2006 Golf TDI 64k
Timing belt

I just bought a 2006 Golf that has 64k miles. The vehicle was undriven for the most part of the past 2 years. I changed all the fluids as well as the filters but was wondering if I should change the timing belt before 80k miles. Thoughts?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I just bought a 2006 Golf that has 64k miles. The vehicle was undriven for the most part of the past 2 years. I changed all the fluids as well as the filters but was wondering if I should change the timing belt before 80k miles. Thoughts?
I'd inspect it, if it visually checks out, I'd drive it.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Thanks Chris and Jim. Yes I am substantially cheaper the autobahn 775 parts and labor, out the door. I replace all stretch bolts, I use Motul antifreeze, and I even replace the tensioner pulley stud as well. Jim, what are stealthy steel wheels?
I just checked out Jim's new ride the other day. He has some seriously sneaky stuff up his sleeve. I could lift a bare wheel off the ground with one finger. And he's gonna give me the seats out of it:rolleyes:;)

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks y'all ...

Steve ... I'll be callin ya!

The coon incident/insurance/my late check back here complicated the TB job ... IOW ... I let Autobahn do the repair. It went to Calibre Collision for the other repair work.

Retrieved the car this past Saturday ... looks good. Runs good. Still owed Autobahn ... so I called.

Service writer wasn't exactly friendly ... "just give me your CC number so you don't have to make the trip back today" Wow.

They quoted me $800 when I called for the appt ... $975 ... & I've yet to see the invoice. Will be making a call today if it's not in the mail. Can I expect they've changed all the associated parts you mentioned, Steve?

This has been a GREAT little car. The only thing I've done is change fluid/filters on/less than time (ie fuel/cold air/cabin ... every 10K b/c getting the pack from idparts is just as easy and almost a push in cost/shipping). I had a fault in the seat belt which caused an error in the air bag system. Other than than ... I've only DRIVEN it!

I would like to have a second opinion ... I've gone down the street to Tim's when I was an idiot on my first fuel filter change (didn't cycle the ignition switch enough ... insufficient prime ... the bleed screw seemed like a really good idea????) ... he said their labor rate is less than the dealer, but that parts would be a push ... since he'd have to get most parts from them.

I want/need an honest mechanic who isn't intimidated talking to a guy who understands a mechanical apparatus but lacks specific knowledge on a specific task on a specific machine ... & the time/place to take such action. He cannot consider contriving some invertedtrophaloft cause/effect for a mechanical discrepancy. He needs to be willing to charge a fair price for his labor & not look to retire on my job order. He needs to be willing to admit making a mistake & fix the problem w/o further "adieu."

I've got yer number! (TIC)

Thanks!

Al

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the invoice in the mail yesterday ... after posting!

They R/R'd the belt, tensioner, roller, couple nuts/studs, water pump & coolant. $975.74

That's a little bit more than $800 ... & I don't see anything unusual ... after reading here about timing belt change ... they certainly didn't call me with "additional work needed."

I guess I just don't understand the problem in 2010 being unwilling to contact a customer with information when the timeline/total work changes from the estimate. it's not like you have to send a smoke signal or pony express. Home phone, mobile phone, text, email ... good grief. As a service writer, isn't your primary responsibility commo w/ the customer??? I've had more time being seen by a doctor in this HMO cost overridden (now govt overridden) healthcare system than I had w/ this service writer ... despite my engaging with additional information.

If you're a owned/operated guy ... is it unreasonable to expect such contact at the end of the day ... maybe during lunch?

I can tolerate a LOT with an honest appraisal ... machines break ... but no commo isn't in that list of "tolerations."

Al

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
09 Jetta TB replacement

While doing a tire rotation, I noticed my rear pads were getting low. I usually have my cars serviced by an independent in NC, but since I was in MD, I went to a local dealer for replacement. I am too ashamed to say how much they charged.:eek: Never again! While there, I was informed that I should consider changing the TB because of my high mileage (97k+). I informed him that the manual said 120k for the TDI. He informed me that VOA had changed it to 90k. He did not show documentation of the change. I searched for a TSB regarding this "change", and found none. Seems it's just another case of a service advisor blowing smoke up my butt, and have me pay $$$$ for the job.:eek: It ain't gonna happen. I will only let a Guru do the job.

Anyone out there aware of any changes in the interval?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
My manual says 120,000mi for the TDI TB. I believe for the 2010+ it was changed to 130,000mi.

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Written Estimate FIRST!

I see it over and over again in here. Someone takes their car to be repaired, then complains about what it costs when they get it back. If you are stupid enough to have work done on anything without first getting a written estimate, then you deserve what you get, and then some. I just cannot believe people are that stupid, unreal. I hear the attack boys coming............