2004 Jetta TDI with PD engine, no start

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This TDI with the PD engine has 135k miles on it. I changed the TB at 121k miles .... ran good until three days ago. It quit on the lady.. she finally got it started and moved it to a parking lot.

Then, the next day her husband went to haul it to me. It fired right-up and he drove it here, 18 miles.

So, today, I changed the fuel filter. It started right up and ran fine. I let it idle for about 15 minutes. I cut the engine off, changed the ALT pulley...

Now, it will not start.... fired-up but died, now, no start at all. Strong battery and starter.

I changed the relay 109 ... still no start.

I do not hear the in-tank pump hummm.... I did hear it earlier....

What do you think at 135k miles, original owner, nice clean car, etc.

.......... if the in tank pump is shot, is it big task to change, or, as simple as with the gasser in tank pumps?

EDIT: I see there is a Fuel Pump Relay involved ........ are they problematic?

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Okay, this is what I've found/done.

I pulled the seat, no pump sound. I unplugged and tested for current when ignition turned ON... 11.97 Volts.

Ironically, I plugged it back in and the pump started working when I turned the ignition ON. So, either a bad connection or the pump just decided to run.

Engine now starts and runs fine ... very smooth.

So, I guess some test driving and read-up on Dan's Sticky that I just found.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, back to where it was... no lift pump hum and no start.

The connector still shows almost 12 volts when the ignition is turned ON.

So, I suppose the Lift Pump must be shot...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely a bad pump.

Hot wired it on the cluttered work bench. It required several pecks to get it to operate. Then, take power away and it will not start back without pecking on it... kaput!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Since this is not your car, IMO just change the whole lift pump assembly. Years ago I took apart two pumps, and those crimped on hoses did not want to slide off. The brushes in the motor were worn down, especially the ground one. I'm surprised that this pump lasted to 135K; much longer than mine. Maybe too much stop-n-go on my part.
DanG144 did a complete write-up on the inner workings of the PD lift pump with lots of pics.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay, guys here is a bit of an update...

Before ordering just the pump/motor, I wanted to make sure I could disassemble the lift pump assembly... everything went fine.

Out of curiosity, once out of the assembly, I connected the pump to a hot 12 volt battery. At first it took a few whacks to get it to run. I flushed it with about everything petroleum that I have in my garage, even ran it backwards. I set it in diesel fuel. It pump amazingly well.

So, I re-installed and the engine starts and runs fine.

Owner's decision was to just order the new pump. It comes with the OE style plastic hoses.

I didn't look-up Dan's write-up, but knowing Dan, he covered all aspects very well.

Bottom line, the fuel system needs an Algae kill really bad. As you can see from the one pic I posted, the assembly is black... the fuel filter looked pristine clean and new on the outside (changed last fall, less than 5k miles on it), but the filter element is black. When I drained the filter lots of black junk come out.

I thought these pumps would last 200k miles. The higher pressure gasser pumps for fuel injection last 175k miles and beyond. I changed the one on my ol' 83 Vanagon at 185k just to make sure it didn't let me down... it was running fine at the time.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I'm pretty sure the black stuff is "soot" from the return line. Not algea.

My pump looked the same way and so did the inside of my tank and I've always use a fuel treatment. (Power-Service and Stanadyne)

Glad you got it back to running and have a pump on the way

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dang! Where does that soot come from?

I caught all the fluids in a container when I was flushing the pump....... black and, yes, sooty looking!

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I just know it comes from the return lines. You'll see when if you do a diesel purge with a clear container. (FYI diesel purge does not clear the soot up)

Hopefully someone that knows more about it will chime in

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My OEM pump looked more like coffee stains. The second, donated pump I had looked like the one in the above pic. I have read here also that soot can leak into the return lines, but how I don't really know. Could the quality of fuel be an issue; or the % of bio, if any? Here in IL, B11 is the norm.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay, it's been over three weeks since I placed an order for the PD lift pump .... still don't have the pump.

Has anyone had experience with these folks? http://www.defender-tech.com/category_s/40.htm

I did ask about the shipping status 10 days after placing the order. I did get a response saying something about the weekend days, etc.

So, my most recent request for an update has not resulted in a response...

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Okay, it's been over three weeks since I placed an order for the PD lift pump .... still don't have the pump.

Has anyone had experience with these folks? http://www.defender-tech.com/category_s/40.htm

I did ask about the shipping status 10 days after placing the order. I did get a response saying something about the weekend days, etc.

So, my most recent request for an update has not resulted in a response...
I have had good service from Mike, so I don't know what to say about this order.

Did you know yesterday was a holiday here? That may account for some of the delay.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wow, you could have driven there, :(

I suspect a border issue.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reading in another Thread this evening involving PD engines lured me back to this Thread.

I do apologize for not updating .........

I did receive the pump! Installed and it ran great. The owner has been happy to this date.

I suspect the reason I did not update was because we were trying to get ready for our 2016 Road Trip to Alaska.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I did order one of those pumps maybe 3 years ago. Pump still working well. Shipping inordinately long at 16 days. Maybe why he has abandon his site.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI