2004 TDI Manifold replacment

lez

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
Howdy Folks
I am looking for the collective help of this forum.Today I removed the intake manifold and associated bits, I am replacing the manifold with a fresh clean one.
I am committed to deleting the cooler and EGR etc etc as I don't want to replace the expensive cooler pipes again on this old car. I have a few questions about this...A German type manifold will be used without the bridged ports...

There is a vacuum actuator located on the actual old manifold I assume some sort of butterfly is opened and closed inside the manifold when it receives a vacuum signal...Do I just block this vacuum line??

The exhaust gas cooler has 4 four lines attached to it two coolant and two smaller diameter I assume these are vacuum lines? do I plug them or join them??

How is the computer going to deal with the electrical and vacuum inputs removed or disconnected?

Thanks in advance Lez

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Those hoses on the EGR cooler have coolant in them.... hence, cooler!

Unplugging a vacuum hose(s) will most likely cause a DTC to be thrown (Check Engine Light will come on).

The Actuator on the old manifold is "collectively" part of the EGR assembly. Do not leave any vacuum hoses unblocked (if you pull one off, plug it).

Most likely the ECU (computer) is going to do a CEL (check engine light) as there will be one or more DTCs as a result of eliminating the EGR vacuum hose.

lez

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
Ok Thanks ..Just realized this manifold does not have the facility to mount the old EGR valve anyways. I wonder where the EGR was located on the car that used this manifold?? Before mounting the German manifold though I managed to cleanly chisel out the the
port separators in the cylinder head with a cold chisel, so no more separators in the manifold or head.
Lez

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The two smaller hoses on the original EGR cooler are coolant hoses for the bypass valve; if that is what you are referring to. The original IM has an actuator that opens and closes butterfly valves in each of the four runners. I forget the technical name. I disconnected and plugged this vacuum hose with no CEL. IIRC, they default to the open position.

Last edited: