ALH IP, end play normal?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Is end play normal on an ALH IP? I bought a used IP as a spare and there was very little padding (box was as big as the pump). There is I estimate 1-2mm of end play on the camshaft sprocket.

Is this normal? I'm just hoping the pump wasn't damaged in transit.

Also, can the connector housing be replaced easily? It was pretty beat up in transit (outer shell smashed)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
a little endplay (thrust) is totally normal, whats not normal is rotational play before friction of the camplate and rollers is felt....connector is fairly easy to replace, just slide the pink pin lock out of the way and use a depinning tool to move one pin at a time to the new connector

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
a little endplay (thrust) is totally normal, whats not normal is rotational play before friction of the camplate and rollers is felt....connector is fairly easy to replace, just slide the pink pin lock out of the way and use a depinning tool to move one pin at a time to the new connector
Thank you!

Good news on the connector - I'll put in 'wanted' ad and see if someone has a bad one but with a good connector.

I'm not sure if I have any rotational play. In my hands I can turn the sprocket CW a bit until I cannot anymore (only a few degrees) but at no time does it feel like it is rotating 'loosey goosey'.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
For the connector just get one from a mk4 headlight harness, it's the same. I think a new one is $50 (cad) at the dealer.

1-2mm of play sounds fine. You are talking side to side right? If it's in and out that would be ok too. It's extremely unlikely that anything got damaged in shipping beyond anything external getting bent. I used to work at a fuel shop rebuilding these and we had some pretty rough boxes being shipped to us.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
1-2mm of play sounds fine. You are talking side to side right? If it's in and out that would be ok too. It's extremely unlikely that anything got damaged in shipping beyond anything external getting bent. I used to work at a fuel shop rebuilding these and we had some pretty rough boxes being shipped to us.
It's in and out. Side to side is zero play. Good to hear about them being robust in shipping.

Thank you!