EGT Gauge issue

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Not sure what's going on with my NSP egt gauge. I bought it used but the gauge works, i hooked it up to a 9v battery and it lit up before I installed it now that it's in it doesn't light up but when I turn the key on it does a sweep like it should. I've relocated the ground used brand new wire with only connections to the wiring coming out of the gauge. Probe was brand new I forget the brand but probe is located in egr block off plate but when I drive there is no egt reading from the gauge. Gauge is 600-2200. Any insight to why I'm not getting a reading would be helpful. TIA!

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
There is probably nothing wrong. I've got a glowshift installed with a probe in the same spot (egt block-off plate) and my stock car is 400 degrees, I can get 450-500 pulling a trailer. Your exhaust temps aren't hot enough to register.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Hmm so do i adjust the probe further into the exhaust manifold? I only have it in maybe a couple inches now. And what about it not lighting up now that it's installed?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Mine have been running 300F to 500F
I second that it's rated too high.
Mine settles down to 250F at idle after running for a while.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You probably know this but the EGR port is not the best location for the EGT probe.
You can bend the probe (gently) enough to seat it all the way in but it will never
read and react as well as it will from right before the turbo.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Yeah I know it's not the best spot but was just easiest for now. I'll have to try that and see if it starts to pick up a reading

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I was watching my EGT's on the way home and with them installed in the same location I didn't see more than 480F much.
Mostly it likes to hover in the 420F range during the day and 380F at night.

The EGR port is a good place for the probe, you just want a three inch probe. EGR is before the turbine, not after.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I was watching my EGT's on the way home and with them installed in the same location I didn't see more than 480F much.
Mostly it likes to hover in the 420F range during the day and 380F at night.
The EGR port is a good place for the probe, you just want a three inch probe. EGR is before the turbine, not after.
This has been discussed at length several times.
The ALH EGR port is not close enough to the turbo inlet to reflect actual EGTs.
I found this out after moving my EGT probe to the proper location right at the
mouth of the turbo and directly centered in the gas flow. This location reads
about 300F higher and reacted instantly to small changes in temperature.
Someone (I think it was Drivbiwire) posted a drawing of thermal gradients at play
in the exhaust manifold that is very revealing and shows how important placement is.