Back in a TDI!!

Mike02z

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hello again TDI owners!

After selling my 2009 Jetta TDI back in 2011, I have always missed it. At that time I got a job that was work from home. I no longer needed a daily driver. Now it looks like I'll be commuting about 120 miles per day. As soon as I found that out, I knew I had to have a new TDI.

Saturday I finally found a new 2015 Jetta TDI SEL. VW was offering 5K off and I was able to get another 5k off after 2 hours and a walk out. VW was also offering 0% for 72 months. I'm back home now with my Jetta TDI!

Here are a few pictures.

I'm having the front end wrapped with PPF tomorrow but the dealer really screwed up the paint with a rotary. Swirls everywhere. Today I spent 3 hours paint correcting the hood, front bumper and fenders. These pictures are after paint correction, no wax as it would just get stripped off when they wrap it anyway.

Hood...

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Great Job getting the price down.. just curious .. what was the final price?? ( or what was the starting price)10,000.00 off seems unrealistic:rolleyes:..unless their sticker was really high!:eek:...welcome back!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Nice ride! Congrats! And great job working the dealer down. That is a great discount. Probably the best I've heard on a new one.

I'm guessing MSRP on that was $25-26k or so, all loaded up and such.

Mike02z

TDI
Great Job getting the price down.. just curious .. what was the final price?? ( or what was the starting price)10,000.00 off seems unrealistic:rolleyes:..unless their sticker was really high!:eek:...welcome back!
The sticker was 29,325 I paid 20,000. It is a fully loaded SEL. VW is giving 5k for any new 2015 TDI so I only really got ~5k off. Let's look at the facts, It's basically a new 3 year old car. The 5k VW gives is to dump these cars as is the 0% for 72. If you lease a 2015 TDI VW gives 8k off. These discounts have nothing to do with the dealer or their profits. Getting almost 5k off a 25k car that is 3 years old, and is a niche car with a troubled past is not that big a deal.

I needed a car under 20K. I was going to see Chevy Cruze Diesels but decided to try and get a TDI first. They also had 2 Passats. One was another SEL but that was way more than I could spend. The other was a white Golf GTI. I could barely get in and out of it. It also seems a bit of o "boy racer" car to me.

You got to be willing to put the effort in. I walked out twice and they kept calling back. This goes with any car. We leased one of our Hellcats for 599 a month with 0 down for 36 months with 12k per year. I paid 55,000 for my 2016 Hellcat that was stickered at 68,250. Why? They were left over 2016 and it was the last day in March and they wanted them gone to make room for the 17's. I've also gotten screwed on a few car deals. I paid 7500 ADM to get a GT350 when they first came out. I paid MSRP for a new 2015 C7. Sometimes you can work magic and other times you can't. I actually thought I could do better on the Jetta

Last edited:

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Mike02z,
I have the same vehicle but in all black and no lip spoiler and no splash guards. I just got it. Are the splash guards a tight solid fit on that vehicle?
Thanks,
Mark

Mike02z

TDI
Hi Mark,
To answer your question, yes, the splash guards fit very tightly to the fender. They were one option I was glad this car had. I was hoping to find an M6 but just not many (if any) TDi SEL's with manual transmissions. The DSG shifts too soon for better gas mileage I assume. I've been shifting manually most of the time.

Be glad you didn't get the lip spoiler. 375 bucks for a tiny piece of plastic. The TDi Monster mats are a total waste of 235 as well. Got a set of tan Weathertechs. I guess I'll sell the Monster Mats. I would have preferred a black interior as well. This interior looks great but I fear it will get dirty fast. As least the leatherette seats are fairly easy to clean.

Over my first 1000 miles I'm averaging 47 MPG!

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
If you think the shifts are too soon in regular automatic mode, have you tried the sport mode yet? Just squeeze and pull the shifter one more notch to "S" for Sport. It will rev just a little higher. The shift from first to second is the time waster; in manual mode (tiptronic) first gear is hardly necessary in my opinion.

And here in Houston, I have no idea why anyone would want heavy rubber monster mats. Those came with mine as well; I've shifted to carpet.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Hi Mark,
To answer your question, yes, the splash guards fit very tightly to the fender. They were one option I was glad this car had. I was hoping to find an M6 but just not many (if any) TDi SEL's with manual transmissions. The DSG shifts too soon for better gas mileage I assume. I've been shifting manually most of the time.

Be glad you didn't get the lip spoiler. 375 bucks for a tiny piece of plastic. The TDi Monster mats are a total waste of 235 as well. Got a set of tan Weathertechs. I guess I'll sell the Monster Mats. I would have preferred a black interior as well. This interior looks great but I fear it will get dirty fast. As least the leatherette seats are fairly easy to clean.

Over my first 1000 miles I'm averaging 47 MPG!
Get a dsg tune from Malone...makes the tranny behave like it should!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Appreciate the positive feedback! Unfortunately the kessV2 doesn't work with the 2015+ transmissions yet. The plug is the same, but the software is different. We've got a few to work, but mostly it's been failure :( Have been contacting alientech for months about it. Have a CMD tool that works, but that's being used for R&D and passed between a few shops currently.

Thought that cord was a massive scratch at first, was going to say, I've gotten away with some ridiculous filling with turtlewax's two stage jet black kit.

Congrats on the pick up! that's a heck of a deal for a brand new tdi. Should last a long time with highway miles and those ea288s are a gem, such a shame we didn't get more.

Mike02z

TDI
I finished detailing it yesterday. I keep buying black cars and forget what a PITA it is to detail them. I think it was worse as a 2015 had to be sitting for a while.

I'm already getting used to the trans. As @fastcar4re said, S works pretty well. This trans does shift blazing fast. While I'd still prefer an M6, the DSG is darn good.

Last edited:

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Appreciate the positive feedback! Unfortunately the kessV2 doesn't work with the 2015+ transmissions yet.
Of course, that is a shame to hear...I'm sure you guys will figure it our soon. The Tranny tune plus Malone stage 2 (work done at GDM) on my 2012 Jetta transformed the car. Shame the economics were in favor of me selling that car back. I miss it dearly, but the BMW makes up for it. I have been eyeing the 2015s lately and did not realize the DSG software was different. Thanks for the heads up!