LED tail lights and reverse lights

2011 TDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 2.0
Hello, I have noticed the reverse lights on my TDI are horrible. I was wondering if there was an led bulb that would fix that. I also would like to retro fit every incandescent bulb except for the head lights on my car. I just like the crisp brightness of the LEDs. If I do so do I need to go any other mods for let's say the turn signals. Do I need a special flasher module since LEDs take less power to operate? Thanks, 2011 TDI

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i reviewed a couple bright white LEDs for reverse lights in that thread, here.

not sure how the flasher unit works on the new cars, but all the other bulbs should likely be no problem to use LEDs. but careful, lots of crappy LED replacement bulbs out there...

contrawise

TDI
2014 Sportwagon
Hello, I have noticed the reverse lights on my TDI are horrible. I was wondering if there was an led bulb that would fix that. I also would like to retro fit every incandescent bulb except for the head lights on my car. I just like the crisp brightness of the LEDs. If I do so do I need to go any other mods for let's say the turn signals. Do I need a special flasher module since LEDs take less power to operate? Thanks, 2011 TDI
I didn't have any problems with the flashers when I converted my 2002 - though I converted the rear flashers only. I bought ballast resistors, but didn't end up using them.

I can't say for sure that you wouldn't need them if you changed all four flashers. The lower the operating current of the circuit, the likelier it will cause a problem. If there is a problem it is usually that the flash rate increases quite a bit. I didn't note any increase in the flash rate at all - so I'd guess you'll be okay.

If it turns out that you need a couple of ballast resistors, I think I still have the pair I bought.

As for the reverse lights - there should be an LED substitute. It would probably be similar to one of the LEDs I got, except white LEDs instead of red. The other option is that it's possible to find higher output tungsten-halogen bulbs that have higher output for the reverse bulbs.

I got the ones I used from "Super Bright LEDs".

contrawise

TDI
2014 Sportwagon
Ooops - Sorry -

I read the year of your car as 2001, rather than 2011, on the first try. My 2014 Jetta has the %#!*! system in it that checks for dead bulbs. I'm guessing the 2011 does, too. That does take bulbs that are a bit more special. They have a little circuit in them that keeps the %#!*! system from throwing an error.

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
As was already said don't buy cheap eBay LEDs as you get what you pay for. I've been a fan of Deautokey's products. I just put there LED reverse lights in my 14 golf and love it. Plus their products are warrantied for life. No coding is needed as the have a resistor built in so no bulb out error is thrown. Just my 2¢ and YMMV.