MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
ziffdine said:
Nice. What did you have to do to convince the dealership to make the switch?
I wrote them a polite but firm letter that was essentially an aggregate of the my posts made in this thread. I followed that with a phone call and request for their customer service chain of command including VW-NA and VAG.

I never needed to speak with anyone beyond the dealer. I hope to have the issue resolved within the next two weeks.

ziffdine

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Damn True said:
I wrote them a polite but firm letter that was essentially an aggregate of the my posts made in this thread. I followed that with a phone call and request for their customer service chain of command including VW-NA and VAG.

I never needed to speak with anyone beyond the dealer. I hope to have the issue resolved within the next two weeks.
Excellent. Just left a message with the service department as step one. Referenced the "Enhanced Bluetooth hands-free capability" booklet that came with the car. Let's see where this goes.

Definitely don't feel safe using the phone's interface to dial when I'm driving.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
ziffdine said:
Excellent. Just left a message with the service department as step one. Referenced the "Enhanced Bluetooth hands-free capability" booklet that came with the car. Let's see where this goes.
Hmm. Did your car come with a booklet on the operation of the RNS-510. Does your owners manual outline features that are not present on your vehicle? I don't think this argument is going to get you anywhere.

ziffdine said:
Definitely don't feel safe using the phone's interface to dial when I'm driving.
How did people survive for the past 30 years with cellular telelphones. If you don't feel safe, don't dial and drive.

This issue is pretty cut and dry. If the BT operation is not satisfactory, the time to address this is BEFORE you make a purchase.

ziffdine

TDI
dzcad90 said:
Hmm. Did your car come with a booklet on the operation of the RNS-510. Does your owners manual outline features that are not present on your vehicle? I don't think this argument is going to get you anywhere.

How did people survive for the past 30 years with cellular telelphones. If you don't feel safe, don't dial and drive.

This issue is pretty cut and dry. If the BT operation is not satisfactory, the time to address this is BEFORE you make a purchase.
Yes, the booklet I'm referring to was a supplement to my owner's manual that outlines features not present in my car. The cover lists Jetta SportWagen as one of the models.

And the BT operates just fine. Not complaining about it. But if there's a feature that I can add to make it safer, I'm going to try to do it. Plus I don't want a cop to think I'm texting when I'm just dialing a number.

Follow up: Just had a discussion with my salesman, and he told me that I should have the 9W3 in my JSW. The dealership cannot change my code, but he suggested I find someone locally with VAG-COM to make the switch.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
The term "Bluetooth handsfree" has been thrown around for a few years by a number of manufacturers, automobile or otherwise. The fact that some JSW and Golf owners are freaking out because their cars don't have completely hands-free BT operation astounds me. And really, the only reason people are freaking out is because they know that VW offers an alternative that is completely hands-free in the Jetta sedan and other models. If the people complaining didn't know that, I have a sneaky suspicion that no one would have made anything other than an inquiry. The American consumer never ceases to amaze me!!

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
I have a 2010 Jetta Sedan Highline - so it has the multi-function steering wheel and the 9W3 module. I also was confused when reading the manual that kept referring to a non-existent phone menu on the MFD. So off I went to my friendly TDIClub website and did some research. Neatly detailed in a BlueTooth FAQ were the instructions required. I printed off the instructions, handed them to the dealer at the next service and said - "Do this please".

I now have the full functionality the manual describes. Caller ID for incoming calls, full access to the phone book by name, missed calls, incoming calls, last calls, voice dialing etc.

Did I mention I love TDIClub? Much more "gooder" than stumbling through things on your own... ;)

Sean.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
ziffdine said:
Follow up: Just had a discussion with my salesman, and he told me that I should have the 9W3 in my JSW. The dealership cannot change my code, but he suggested I find someone locally with VAG-COM to make the switch.
Your salesman is misinformed.

Your JSW should (and likely does) have the 9W2 option and chaning the soft coding is not possible on that module to enable the MFD display.

ziffdine

TDI
dzcad90 said:
Your salesman is misinformed.

Your JSW should (and likely does) have the 9W2 option and chaning the soft coding is not possible on that module to enable the MFD display.
Yeah, turns out it is the 9W2. Double checked the part number over the weekend. Oh well. I don't think I care enough to try to get them to switch it to a 9W3. I surely don't care enough to pay for a 9W3.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
For those interested in getting what you were told you were paying for, below is the letter I sent to my dealer. The car is currently at said dealer having the correct BT module installed at the expense of VW-NA.

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 9:27 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject: Jetta Bluetooth issue

Dxxx & Cxxx,

I was really disappointed to learn that my '10 TDI Jetta Sportwagen does not have the fully functional bluetooth system. Despite instructions in my manuals telling me that this is the case, and being told by the sales staff that this functionality was in place I can only receive calls on the BT system.

I think that there is at best a big mistake on the part of VW-NA if not intentional obfuscation of the features of their cars given that the window sticker, sales professional and owner’s manual all individually indicated that the car had the full Bluetooth functionality despite that not being the case.

While at the dealer a few evenings ago, I looked at a couple of other window stickers in comparison to mine. My window sticker, under Comfort/Convenience, says "Bluetooth mobile telephone connectivity." Which is identical to the verbiage on the TDI Jetta Sedan which DOES have the full-featured Bluetooth.

Heck, the manual even identifies the voice activation button as such and provides instructions for the voice activation setup despite the lack of those features on the car. There is no discernable difference between the description of the Bluetooth feature on differently equipped cars. How is the consumer to know?

Seriously, I think that a customer has a reasonable expectation that the printed documentation and the explanations of the sales staff accurately represent the features of the vehicle without requiring me to personally verify each. I mean, the sticker says the engine is a 4-cylinder. Should I have brought in tools and removed the cylinder head to verify that too?

I had a number of reasons to assume that the features in question were present.

a) The verbiage used to describe the two systems on the stickers is identical, leading one to believe the performance of the systems in each car is identical.

b) The text in the manuals indicate that the systems are identical, leading one to believe the performance of the systems in each car is identical.

c) The description provided by the trained Volkswagen sales staff is identical, leading one to believe the performance of the systems in each car is identical.

Given the above, I think it is more than reasonable to expect the systems to perform as described. They don’t.

So here is the issue; The TDI Jetta Sportwagen with the RNS-510 Navigation system has a 9w2 Bluetooth module. While in the TDI sedan with the RNS-510 is paired with the 9w3 Bluetooth module. The 9w3 provides the aforementioned fully-functional performance. The 9w2 does not. There is however a simple solution to this issue that is well known and documented on a number of Volkswagen specific internet forums. The 9w2 module can be easily replaced by a 9w3 module by means of the following procedure outlined below. Please let me know when I can bring in my car to have the 9w3 system installed and properly coded.

Parts required:
1Z0 035 729 C – Bluetooth interface controller
8P0 035 503 E – Bluetooth antenna
Access to a VAG-COM

....I attached the widely published upgrade doc here.
Feel free to use the above.

I would suggest you send it to your sales person, the sales manager and the GM of the dealer. Then follow the email with a phone call requesting contact information for VW-NA District Management and the National Director of Customer service.

Installed. With 9w2 control button delete panel to eliminate the now superfluous buttons in the overhead console.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Damn True said:
Taking my JSW in to have the error corrected in the morning.
This isn't an error, it's the way it is.

It's not sneaky, underhanded, etc. It's just how VW chose to option the car and you chose to buy it. People are finding out that different model cars have different options and then are getting peaved because their car they inspected, test drove, and signed on the line for doesn't have the said option. Caveat Emptor before buying and after the term is called "Buyers Remorse"

"Bluetooth mobile telephone connectivity" sounds like it defines the 9W2 system perfectly.

Does it suck? Yeah. Is it unethical, sneaky, underhanded, dirty, etc? Absolutely not.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
Any more info on the '10 Golf? I just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and would love to be able to do this mod! From the one post on the first page, it seems that the Golf has the lowline module which cannot be upgraded. Did anyone else confirm this? And is VAG COM the only way to check this?

Thanks,
Mark

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Whatever Don.

By your logic I should have also brought in tools to pop the cylinder head and ensure the car did in fact have 4cyl as claimed and ensured that the RNS-510 HDD actually holds exactly 30GB. I'll wager you did neither. The manual says "X". The sticker says "X". The sales rep says "X". One has a reasonable expectation that "X" is in place.

Now you've made your case....a number of times I might add. However, guessing by the number of "Bluetooth ***?" threads here and on other sites, your position is in the minority. If you are ok with people being misled then that is fine. I however am not.......I see you drive a sedan. Which begs a number of questions.

I'm about solutions, I am interested in getting my situation resolved. Which I have done and if it were truly, as you say "just the way it is" the dealer and VW-NA would not have done it on their dime, which they did. I am also interested in helping other people who have been misled to get their situation resolved as well. Shrugging my shoulders and saying "oh well" resolves nothing and isn't in my nature anyway.

So as I was saying to those who might wish to get what they were told they were paying for......

Feel free to use the above letter.

I would suggest you send it to your sales person, the sales manager and the GM of the dealer. Then follow the email with a phone call requesting contact information for VW-NA District Management and the National Director of Customer service.

Be polite, but firm and assertive. Unless your sales person disclosed the inconsistencies between the documentation and the actual equipment on the car they are in the wrong....and they know it.

In my case the sales person, and in fact his manager had no idea that there was a difference between BT function in the TDI sedan and JSW. Their training, from VW-NA, did not point out the differences and the documentation certainly gave them no clue. I did not need to go beyond the dealer to get the situation resolved.

....keep in mind though, that switching to the 9W3 does mean that you give up BT-audio. IMO that is a somewhat superfluous feature if you already have an AUX-in or iPod integration AND an SD-RAM slot.

The 9W3 BT UI is really nice. My iPhone contact list, call history etc uploaded right away and it is very easy to navigate on the MFD. And I am very pleased with the install.

Mucho thanks to the folks at Capitol VW (Del Grande Auto Group) in San Jose for doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
Thanks for all that information dzcad90. I know you posted this long time ago but I just found out about this site and signed up today and man I'm glad I did. I just picked up my 2010 JSW TDI last Monday and had it not been for your thread, I would not have known about the Enhanced Bluetooth functionality of the NAV system. I can make calls from my phone, playback MP3 through the BT but pushing the phonebook and call log to the head unit does not work because “Phone” does not appear as one of the options in the Instrument Panel Display. I ended up taking the car in tonight and was able to spend 30 minutes with the Technician at the dealership. He actually plugged in his test equipment and could not find the code. In fact he gave me a copy of the report but the coding he pointed out to me reads S41 21 00. Anyhow, I forwarded your instructions to him once I got back, meanwhile he is contacting VW to figure out what needs to be done.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
boerssd said:
I have a 2010 Jetta Sedan Highline - so it has the multi-function steering wheel and the 9W3 module. I also was confused when reading the manual that kept referring to a non-existent phone menu on the MFD. So off I went to my friendly TDIClub website and did some research. Neatly detailed in a BlueTooth FAQ were the instructions required. I printed off the instructions, handed them to the dealer at the next service and said - "Do this please".

I now have the full functionality the manual describes. Caller ID for incoming calls, full access to the phone book by name, missed calls, incoming calls, last calls, voice dialing etc.
Sean, are you sure you have the 9W3? My salesperson that I'm thinking of ordering through told me the following for Canadian models:

Yeah, there are two systems. The 9W2 system is the more basic one that is used in the Golf, Golf Wagon, GTI, Jetta, and Tiguan. The more advanced system is the 9W3 system and is used in the Passat and Touareg.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
And I'm sorry for asking this, but I really am confused. I also have zero BT experience...

So the 2010 Gold Wagons in Canada (JSW in the US) supposedly have BT as a $395 add-on in the Highline version. But, according to my dealer, this add-on is the 9W2. Can this one be reprogrammed to do what boerssd's does above? Or was my dealer wrong and it would come with 9W3? Should I bother ordering the BT add on, and then upgrading to the 9W3 or whatever other one supposedly lets you dial from the touch screen and see incoming calls? Or should I not bother paying the extra $395 for BT, and can then just buy one aftermarket and still easily get it working in the car? I'm so confused...

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
Vw

I just got back from the dealer after they acknowledged that the NAV System in my 2010 JSW will not function as described in the owner’s manual because the JSW are equipped with the 9W2 BT module. I got a copy of a VW Technical Bulletin which is suppose to help the dealers identify type and capabilities of the four available BT modules. Some of you may have seen this Technical Bulletin or maybe not but I think it proves that VW is aware of this mess. I was told that here in US at least the Jetta Sedan is equipped with the 9W3 (P/N 1Z0035729 (UHV-High)) and the JSW is equipped with 9W2 (P/N 1K8035730 UHV-Low)). If you want to add BT to an older model that has the phone button on the steering wheel then Volk-L (P/N 1K8051730A or B) are the available options thru VW. I wanted to load a copy of the document to this page but so far no cigar.

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Silver02TDI said:
Sean, are you sure you have the 9W3? My salesperson that I'm thinking of ordering through told me the following for Canadian models:
Sorry - I'm late getting back to this... I haven't physically checked the part number. My understanding is - if I have voice command - I have 9W3. I press the microphone button, dictate some numbers to dial, and the nice lady hiding in the dashboard dials them for me. :) Pretty sure I have 9W3.

Sean.

mattyc

TDI
2010 JSW
Damn True said:
Taking my JSW in to have the error corrected in the morning.
Which VW dealer did you take it to for the swap?
I am in the bay area as well and would love to find a dealer who could help.
The guys at Royal Motors here in SF are anything but helpful

wouldbecaller

TDI
2010 TDI SW
Damn True said:
Whatever Don.

By your logic I should have also brought in tools to pop the cylinder head and ensure the car did in fact have 4cyl as claimed and ensured that the RNS-510 HDD actually holds exactly 30GB. I'll wager you did neither. The manual says "X". The sticker says "X". The sales rep says "X". One has a reasonable expectation that "X" is in place.

Now you've made your case....a number of times I might add. However, guessing by the number of "Bluetooth ***?" threads here and on other sites, your position is in the minority. If you are ok with people being misled then that is fine. I however am not.......I see you drive a sedan. Which begs a number of questions..
Damn True is damn right. "Hands-free call receiving" is not as useful or as safe as "hands-free calling." VW can't deny they are two different things because VW calls them by two different names. Maybe worried about lawsuits, VW disabled the menu-based hands-free calling that the sales brochure says comes standard on certain trim lines. VW clearly decided that outbound calls should be made exclusively via voice commands. That's fine, and it probably is safer, but VW needs to make sure people who bought expecting hands-free calling get it, either by un-blocking the menu system that the manual proves is built into the car, or by providing a voice-controlled system. So far I haven't seen either honesty or courtesy from anyone at VW. They actually told me they don't have to deliver features marketed as standard because there is a disclaimer somewhere in the brochure. Pathetic. I wish I bought a Ford.

Gowens

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen - multi steer- RNS-510 nav
Well i finally got my "C" model (1Z0-035-729C) 9W3 from the guy in Poland on e-bay. the phone book on the MFD works, the phone menu on the RNS-510 nav system works, the voice commands system does not work. it came coded 0013022. that is not the code that comes in a VW part from a dealer, as i understand it. i am wondering if this is a European module, instead of a USA module. My dealer tried to help but no luck on recoding. Does your phone need to be connected when you recode and then check to see if the new code works, or will the lady speak to you without the phone connected? Does anyone in my area have a VAG-COM that will assist.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
The steering wheel coding has to be changed to enable voice commands. 0010322 codes for UK English, 0010377 is US English.

Gowens said:
Well i finally got my "C" model (1Z0-035-729C) 9W3 from the guy in Poland on e-bay. the phone book on the MFD works, the phone menu on the RNS-510 nav system works, the voice commands system does not work. it came coded 0013022. that is not the code that comes in a VW part from a dealer, as i understand it. i am wondering if this is a European module, instead of a USA module. My dealer tried to help but no luck on recoding. Does your phone need to be connected when you recode and then check to see if the new code works, or will the lady speak to you without the phone connected? Does anyone in my area have a VAG-COM that will assist.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
mattyc said:
Which VW dealer did you take it to for the swap?
I am in the bay area as well and would love to find a dealer who could help.
The guys at Royal Motors here in SF are anything but helpful
Capitol VW in San Jose.

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Bluetooth w/ non-NAV in JSW Tdi w/ an iPhone...

ziffdine said:
I'm kind of confused about this whole thing. My 2010 JSW TDI has Bluetooth. It even came with supplementary instructions for voice-activated dialing and phonebook access - but the dealer said that my car can't do either.
I have an iPhone 3G, so I'm pretty sure the phone isn't the issue.
I have the buttons on the steering wheel and the instructions with my owner manual, but I guess that's just for show. Anyone know why VW would include everything in the car, but not let it work?
OK, Seems lotsa ppl are unhappy :mad: w/ the Non-NAV bluetooth set-up being Receive Only.
Yep, that kinda stinks... :(

But, if you have an iPhone (possibly any smartPhone) you can use a voice-dialing app from the phone :D
& have the car's bluetooth P/U the outgoing call & do all the handsfree thing.

After lots of reading here & on vwVortex.com I came to the conclusion that VW short-changed :eek: us.
After seeing someone post "Just use an iPhone" ;) , I decided to look into this a bit further.

Simply put, if you install [any?] VoiceDialer app on your iPhone, you'll get 99% of the handsfree experience.
You'll have to pick-up the phone, open the app, & then press & hold the voice responder...
but thereafter, you'll be handsfree w/ the out-going call heard through the speakers.

Happy :D to say that it works.

Last edited:

Jeeprage

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6m
Parva said:
OK, Seems lotsa ppl are unhappy :mad: w/ the Non-NAV bluetooth set-up being Receive Only.
Yep, that kinda stinks... :(

But, if you have an iPhone (possibly any smartPhone) you can use a voice-dialing app from the phone :D
& have the car's bluetooth P/U the outgoing call & do all the handsfree thing.

After lots of reading here & on vwVortex.com I came to the conclusion that VW short-changed :eek: us.
After seeing someone post "Just use an iPhone" ;) , I decided to look into this a bit further.

Simply put, if you install [any?] VoiceDialer app on your iPhone, you'll get 99% of the handsfree experience.
You'll have to pick-up the phone, open the app, & then press & hold the voice responder...
but thereafter, you'll be handsfree w/ the out-going call heard through the speakers.

Happy :D to say that it works.
Opening an app isn't a solution. You might as well find your contact.

At least Windows and Blackberrys have a side button you can press and say a name without looking at the phone.