Starter problems

libound

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5sp
Hello everyone, my 03 manual tdi is having an intermediate problem starting. I'd say once every 15 starts I will get a single click from the starter and it won't turn over. It usually starts if I give the key a few more turns. Additionally give the starter housing a tap will allow it to start. Battery is in great shape.

I'm wondering if taking the starter out and cleaning and lubing it will resolve the problem or if replacement is necessary

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
That's what I would do. They can accumulate clutch dust.
While you're in there you'll be able to asses the rest of the components, some of which can be purchased if you look hard.
I've never bought from these guys, but they have parts
I am usually the one who promotes that ebay person, I have bought brush kits from them, cheap and usually quick. Eventually it will probably get worse, I would order a brush kit and do a r&r of the brushes kit and clean up the starter. Will most likely bring it back to life for many more years.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I am usually the one who promotes that ebay person, I have bought brush kits from them, cheap and usually quick. Eventually it will probably get worse, I would order a brush kit and do a r&r of the brushes kit and clean up the starter. Will most likely bring it back to life for many more years.
And I'm the one that always hates on ebay (and Amazon). At least with some of the ebay stores like that, you know where the part comes from. Plus it can be tough finding just the right bit for these type parts.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just bought a set of brushes and a replacement bendix from Goldlion.

They arrived fairly quickly, but are sitting on the shelf right now, waiting for my clutch change in the near future.