Can't find first or second gear

ChrisMc

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.9L TDI
I have a 2001 ALH Jetta 5speed. As of recently, first and second are hard to find. I have to slap the shifter over kinda hard to find them. Once the car is in first or second, there is no grinding and feels normal. I can't downshift from third to second, it just goes into fourth. Reverse works fine. I have the gruvenparts replacement 02a short shift kit. To me, this sounds like a linkage issue, just wondering if anyone knows or has experience on what it could be.

Thanks

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It definitely sounds like a linkage issue, only time I've seen otherwise is with the 6spd box where the selector breaks off in the box.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Adjust your linkages and see what you end up with. Not sure what that short shifter kit has for cable ends, but the stock ends are known to eventually fail.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Disconnect the cables and see if you can find all the gears at the box

ChrisMc

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.9L TDI
The engine and trans is from a 99.5 so I have the 02a. I loosened the top shifter cable bolt and moved it around until reverse was where it correctly should be. Dove more into it tonight, one of the tabs the shifter is bolted to was broken off so the rear sat 1/8" lower then the front. I put a new bolt in and evened it out but no luck with that. (Hard to explain, I'll try to post a picture). Still only goes into first or second if I slap it over, forcefully.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
'99 shifter? I have broken the shift actuator and the shift lever on mine. If you watch while the gears are changed you can tell if either is broke. Sheared off bolt sounds like something broke.

ChrisMc

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.9L TDI

Engine and trans is from a 99.5 mkiv jetta so its the 02a. Circled is the broken bolt, I "fixed" it with the bolt and nut right next to it

Last edited:

ChrisMc

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.9L TDI
Yes, if I move the linkage any farther, reverse becomes first gear. I bounced some idea off of the guys at Apex Tuning and this is what we came to:

1. Check fluids (duh...I'm an idiot)
2. Pump clutch multiple times to see if its easier (could be a slave/master problem)
3. Replace gruvenparts short shifter with stock shifter

ChrisMc

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.9L TDI
I figured out that if I pump the clutch a couple times it becomes easier. I ordered a new slave and hopefully that does the trick

AdamWilson21

TDI
VG
The 2001 ALH Jetta 5speed is experiencing difficulty finding first and second gear. Shifting into them requires force and downshifting from third to second is not possible. It's suspected to be a linkage issue and the car has a Gruvenparts 02a short shift kit installed.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
The 2001 ALH Jetta 5speed is experiencing difficulty finding first and second gear. Shifting into them requires force and downshifting from third to second is not possible. It's suspected to be a linkage issue and the car has a Gruvenparts 02a short shift kit installed.
Start by checking out the DieselGeek videos on adjusting the shift linkage, on youtube.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
IFF you can hit reverse and 5th I don't think it is the linkage. Install a new relay slide bushing( on the transmission), and make sure the relay lever moves freely. The slider bushings wear, and new ones are pretty inexpensive.

The 'relay' is the one that lifts and lowers the shift tower rod when you move the shifter side to side... :)

Douglas