06 Jetta blown timing belt

Jaredmon

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I've been reading through posts and searching the web, but I'm not finding the info I'm looking for to make me feel more comfortable attempting this repair. Worked on many industrial diesels but no automotive ones. Anyone have a good link for the removal of the head, repair and replacement of the timing belt?

Thanks for the help.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
It's not too bad. I just pulled the head on mine when the cam but the dust. I recommend watching the videos on YouTube for the timing belt and cam replacement, along with the threads on here. I pulled the head with the turbo and intake manifold still on and reinstalled the head with them bolted up. The coolant sensor can be a pain to reach, the oil feed line is also difficult to get to. I'd replace the feed line with a braided one.

There's no dowels in the head, so reinstalling can be tricky with the turbo attached. Just put some wood dowels in a few holes for the stud, only have them an inch or two above the deck. Then use a cheap pinch tool to pull then out. Label the vacuum lines if you can, slong with the electrical connectors. Or at least photograph them. Use needle nose pliers when pulling off the glow plug harness, grab it right up against each glow plug, otherwise it'll probably break apart from old age.

Diesel126

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI DSG / 2006 Jetta TDI DSG / 2011 Touareg TDI Executive
Send the head to;

Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

Be sure to check the tops of the pistons for cracks. I found out the hard way. Took 40,000 miles but destroyed cylinder #4
Piston was in 2 pieces.

Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
As Diesel126 mentioned, Franko6(Long time forum member) is a guru on these heads. Drop him a call, he extremely knowledgeable on these cars. You need to make sure that you check deck - piston height to validate you do not have a bent rod. If you do have a bent rod, Frank can help with that as well. If you are lucky, you will have no bottom end issues, but you need to check or else you are really gambling.

Jaredmon

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Thanks for all the help on getting this TDI back together. Engine runs great BUT.... driving is another story. We are not getting any power.

What we have done so far:

Cylinders honed, new bottom end, rings and top end. New seals and bushings in turbo. New fuel, oil and air filters. Egr block off plates and cooler removed. Intake man and egr pieces cleaned. Have not done any computer adjustments.

Again, no power is my issue.

Codes are coming back as:

P0122 TPS low input
P2413 EGR malfunction
P0401 EGR flow insufficient
P0671 Glow Plug cyl 1

I know I need to reprogram the ECU for the egr delete but would that be the only power issue? What causes the TPS code? Where is the TPS?

Thanks for the help.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Check that the connector of the EGR harness is firmly connected and clean. Check the harness. Then it may be the gears or motor in the "throttle body". You can lift the cover slightly off the body and spray some wd40 in. Gears do get stuck sometimes. Worked for me.