Beetle headlight housing lever broke

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
The lever you unlock and slide up to release the headlight so you can take it out of the cylinder to replace the bulb has broken. Do I have to buy a whole new cylinder housing or can I just buy the little plastic lever? Where do you suggest I buy either of them from?

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
You will need to get an entire locking ring assembly. That lever is part of a larger piece that rotates to lock the headlight into place. I'm guessing that your Beetle is from earlier than 2005. 2006 had a different locking system for the headlights. Anyhow, you can get those parts from IDParts, 1stVwParts, and Ebay. Those are the ones immediately coming to mind.

This one is an example of the passenger side locking mechanism.
http://www.idparts.com/new-beetle-headlight-locking-mechanism-right-a4-p-4730.html

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
You can just replace the metal slider ring that has the plastic lever on it. The entire headlight bucket doesn't need replaced. IIRC, 3 or 4 screws hold that slider ring to the bucket.

I have some. What side do you need?

$25.00 shipped.

dweisel

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
You can just replace the metal slider ring that has the plastic lever on it. The entire headlight bucket doesn't need replaced. IIRC, 3 or 4 screws hold that slider ring to the bucket.

I have some. What side do you need?

$25.00 shipped.

dweisel
Wish I had read your post earlier. I clicked the link above that lovemybug posted and already ordered them.