I found Mobile 1 Delvac in the South Bay (not bay area)

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
My car got to a couple hundred miles overdue, so I really started worrying today about how bad I needed an oil change. The problem is that I hadnt been able to find someone who carried the right kind of oil.

I decided to open up the yellow pages and just start calling. The best I could get was the advice to try some of the local truck service centers around, and none of them were open on saturday. Just before I gave up though, I decided to call this one mom and pop shop in Torrance. I was sure it was going to be a wasted phone call, but what the hell. So I call and proceed to ask if they carry any fully synthetic diesel oils. They asked me if I had anything in particular I wanted. I said "Mobile 1 Delvac 5w-40w". He says, well I think I have Mobil 1 Delvac, but I dont think its sythetic. I tell him that yes there is Delvac 400, but the Mobil 1 Delvac is full synth. He asks me to hold. When he comes back on, he says something to the effect of "Well all be-it sure is fully synthetic. How many gallons do you want". I tell I wanted to buy 2. He says, well I just got that stuff in yesterday, and Ive never had it before. Needless to say I rushed over and bought it with a filter. The best part of this story was that I saw that he had tons of it sitting on a shelf. Im sure if people start snatching it up, he'll continue to keep it in stock.

So where is this wonderful place.

Peerless Auto Parts
Torrance, CA
Corner of Yukon and Artesia
3541 Artesia Boulevard
310-856-4810

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
I realized you are probably wondering how much it cost me. Unfortunatley I didnt get a detailed receipt. However to give you an idea, I paid $65.00 for 2 gallons of Delvac, 1 Oil Filter, and 1 Fuel filter (they didnt have the fuel filter in stock, so I paid for them to order me one).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
SoCal_John said:
So I call and proceed to ask if they carry any fully synthetic diesel oils. They asked me if I had anything in particular I wanted. I said "Mobile 1 Delvac 5w-40w". He says, well I think I have Mobil 1 Delvac, but I dont think its sythetic. I tell him that yes there is Delvac 400, but the Mobil 1 Delvac is full synth. He asks me to hold. When he comes back on, he says something to the effect of "Well all be-it sure is fully synthetic. How many gallons do you want". I tell I wanted to buy 2. He says, well I just got that stuff in yesterday, and Ive never had it before. Needless to say I rushed over and bought it with a filter. The best part of this story was that I saw that he had tons of it sitting on a shelf.
I'm betting this little mom-and-pop operator doesn't really know what he has, and could be selling it for little or no profit. Like eetsoot said, it usually runs around $25/gallon or more. Given typical prices for the other items as well, you should have paid about $80 plus tax. So $65 total means he is pricing the Delvac 1 too cheaply.

Unfortunately, Torrance is way outside my normal travels.

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
I picked up my fuel filter today, and I got the detailed receipt. Here is the breakdown of prices.

Mobil Delvac 5w-40w 1 Gallon Jug-$10.82 each (***-although I see on the receipt they rang me up for the Delvac 15w40 and yes I did get Delvac 5w40)
Oil Filter $9.79
Fuel Filter $31.49

CassidyRed

TDI
05 Golf TDI
Thanks so much for the information!! I just moved to California from Arizona & am having a townhouse built in Torrance :) This will be very convinient!!!

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
Glad to hear that it helped out a fellow TDI'er. Torrance and the "South Bay" is probably the best area to live in Southern California.