Ideas to slow or stop a leak in a gearbox??

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi folks-I was just wondering if anyone might have some ideas.My gearbox on the mower deck of my Kubota is leaking from somewhere-I can't pinpoint,as I can't see any leak when the deck is engaged,but it is coming from somewhere on gearbox,as the gearbox front is covered w/oil and sprays all over when it hits the pulley.Oil is not overfilled,and plugs are tight.It is only 2 yrs. old(175 hrs)-the owners manual says to have dealer replace oil seal every 2 yrs.I asked the service guy at the Kubota dealer and he said they haven't worked on one yet, so he had no idea on labor costs.I have the shop manual and it shows 4 oil seals-I really don't want to dig into it at the start of mowing season-so does anyone have any ideas on how to slow/stop leaks?Do they make any type of a sealer for gearboxes?The recommended oil is a Kubota oil-no weight listed on bottle-would using a thicker one hurt anything?Deck is off now,I hope somebody can give a suggestion......

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
They havent worked on one ... sounds like a typical scenario for a TDi owner ?

if it doesnt leak too much keep checking ,filling and fix in the fall

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
tdidieselbobny said:
Hi folks-I was just wondering if anyone might have some ideas.
Yeah, I do.
tdidieselbobny said:
My gearbox on the mower deck of my Kubota is leaking from somewhere-...it is coming from somewhere on gearbox,as the gearbox front is covered w/oil and sprays all over when it hits the pulley.......
OK, first the obvious: we do cars here, not mowers.

Here's something that might be a little more helpful. If the oil is black, then it isn't gearbox oil. If it is indeed the gearbox lube, then a leak from a case seam should be obvious. If not, clean it up, watch the leak start when you engage the mower. If you don't see a leaking seam, then you have a shaft seal that has failed. Not impossible, as Nihonjins screw up on occasion just like the rest of us.

Good luck.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Powder Hound said:
Yeah, I do.

OK, first the obvious: we do cars here, not mowers.

Here's something that might be a little more helpful. If the oil is black, then it isn't gearbox oil. If it is indeed the gearbox lube, then a leak from a case seam should be obvious. If not, clean it up, watch the leak start when you engage the mower. If you don't see a leaking seam, then you have a shaft seal that has failed. Not impossible, as Nihonjins screw up on occasion just like the rest of us.

Good luck.
Yeah,I knew it was obvious;) -I know some people on this site own Kubotas,I figured it was worth a shot that someone may have had same problem.I've seen questions about a lawnmower engine before....I bought some Lucas Hub oil(for semis) at Carquest today-said it can help seal or dry up leaks.....maybe if that doesn't work,I'll add some grease to oil......it kinda sucks cleaning the splattering of oil off everything each time I mow.BTW,engine oil is still clean-not black.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I own Kubota's make sure nothing is plugging the vent for the gear box bees do a good job of plugging things up. Not sure about yours there are so many different types but it's got a vent some where.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
White Crow said:
I own Kubota's make sure nothing is plugging the vent for the gear box bees do a good job of plugging things up. Not sure about yours there are so many different types but it's got a vent some where.
Maybe that's what that little gold colored nut is on top-I will see if I can remove it-nothing bees could get into.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Yep, the seal probably blew because the vent plugged and there was a pressure buildup. If you operate in unusual attitudes (steep slopes, etc.) the gear lube itself can get on the inside of the vent and then mix with dust and plug the vent.

Remove the gearbox, take to any small town machine shop and have them replace the seal. keep the vent clean in the future.

I have also seen guys just pump the gearbox full of gun grease, but I don't suggest it except as a last resort.

HTH

Bill

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used the Lucas hub oil-seems to have helped after the first time I mowed-after 1st time still had a mess-mowed on Fri.& today,outside of gearbox is pretty much dry.