04 jetta no start

CTD01

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf
I am working on my first pd engine. I was told the car didnt start and it got towed to the dealer and they told the guy that the car was getting soot into the fuel tank and it was caused by a bad head. They said they can clean fuel tank for 1000 bucks. Now I got the car and it starts and runs. I read these cars have electric fuel pumps. I disconnected the feed line cycled the key and nothing came out. Im going to do a bit more research but has anyone heard of the problem the dealer told this guy?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That sounds like a load of crap.
Fuel pump problems are common enough on these models, and while you're in there you can evaluate the "dirty tank"
Some of the PD engine do suffer from head issues due to the wrong oil being used (usually by a VW dealer), I think they just put those 2 items together for their diagnosis.

CTD01

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf
ok I have power and ground at fuel pump when I cycle the key but still no fuel so obviously the pump is no good. It is covered in black stuff the car has 222K. Should I clean the tank or just install a new pump? I dont see the black stuff in the fuel or the tank.