Engine hesitation/choke around 3500RPM

edgecontrol

Hello, looked at FAQs but not sure still. Gotta a Jetta IV TDI 2001 (electric blue yeah !:) with about 80000KM on it.
When accelarating, everytime the engine gets to about 3200-3800 RPM it sort of 'chokes' or loses power big time and then retakes normal take passed 4200 RPM.

Any ideas on where to start? Thanks and be gentle, first post..

Copyman

TDI
2000 Golf Silver
MAF. That's how mine felt when it started to go. Only goes downhill from here. I picked up a pierburg from vwparts.com for $100 and couldn't be happier. Do a search for MAF and you'll have plenty to read.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Welcome! Not all of us bite...

Do a search on any of these topics: MAF, 3500RPM, power loss. I'm confident that it'll point you in the direction of the MAF.

When that happened to me, it actually was a combination of clogged intake + bad MAF. I had an independent shop investigate (after I read up on the problem here, and knew what I was talking about.) First they cleaned the intake, but when all of the power didn't return, they tried out a new MAF they had gotten in for another customer's TDi. It worked like a charm (2.0 MAF), so they got me one, too. Been power-FULL ever since.

Also, be sure to unclog your snowscreen. That also can choke off an otherwise happy engine.

Happy diesel-ing!